Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 04:09 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,807,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
How many disabled people would you hire to work with high voltage? Surgeons take their time to do things right as well, but how many surgeons are there who are labeled 'disabled' and can't read? Or who are truely disabled.
The kids who have all that extra time and all that extra help use those things as crutches. They never learn how to do it all by themselves in the expected amount of time because excuses have been made for them all the years they were supposed to be learning how to do it themselves.

Again, how does extra time and extra accommodations equal working harder for anything?
I think Mr. clueless is long gone but I'll respond anyway. I have no idea about physicians, though I did read about a doctor with severe Tourette's syndrome and he is an excellent surgeon who also flies his own plane. (!!!)

My brother would have had special accommodations if they'd had those in the 60's and 70's. He's now a pilot and is also in charge of the maintenance of the plane, and his employer obviously trusts him with his life. My bro certainly could have used some extended time on his tests, but it didn't affect his IQ and didn't keep him from having a career that he loves and i'm sure glad that he didn't listen to his HS guidance counselor who told him that college was not in cards for someone with his grades. We all now suspect that he has inattentive AD/HD and dyslexia but he needs no special accoms at work b/c testing is a unique situation that few of us have to endure as adults in a career. If a person has LD and also has a facility for working with high voltage, I would trust that just as I trust my brother's flying ability. Can you tell that he has LD by talking to him? Of course not--he's quite an intelligent man who can't seem to spell his own sis's name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education