Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 03:41 PM

1,889 posts, read 3,114,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
It really ticks you off that a child can be smart & gifted, yet have a disability.

A child with a disability and in honors, has proven to his teachers that he excels at the work, learns quickly all while maintaining a minimum average. He has to do all the same homework, hand it in at the same time, answer the same questions, take the same tests.. Generally at that level the only accommodations would be, a laptop and/or the extra time if they need (but many will not need it), an aide if they have behaviors that will take from the teachers time (fidgety, self-stim behaviors that need redirection).

Once again, no one is giving them the answers, no one is expecting less of them, no one is fixing their grades.
You, like so many, seem to be msitaking strengths and shortcomings with being "gifted" or "disabled".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
A lot of good posts since my last post, but this is important.

A school isn't a measuring stick.

A school isn't a weeding out process.

A school isn't real-world boot camp.

A school is a place to educate children. We are ALL better off if each child maximizes their learning while in school
Sure, this ought to be the case. BUT, what about the students who simply don't want any part of it and disrupt others learning (and get away with it because of a flimsy diagnosis of "specific learning disability")?

Old 05-03-2010, 06:03 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,313,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
Sure, this ought to be the case. BUT, what about the students who simply don't want any part of it and disrupt others learning (and get away with it because of a flimsy diagnosis of "specific learning disability")?
what about them?

Anyone who doesn't have a legitimate need for the service shouldn't have it

That said, I'd rather err on the side of providing the service for 1000 kids that don't need it than deny one kid who does.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
what about them?

Anyone who doesn't have a legitimate need for the service shouldn't have it

That said, I'd rather err on the side of providing the service for 1000 kids that don't need it than deny one kid who does.
When classrooms are overrun with kids who don't need the services and are chronically disrupting the learning of others because it's all a game to them, Houston we have a problem. When a kid comes into a classroom and defies the teacher on nearly every count and writes gang symbols all over textbooks and desks, we have a problem. Specifically, even if we take the absolute most communist/liberalist approach possible, don't we at least have a kid in such dire need of counseling and rehabilitation that the kid needs to be pulled out of the traditional campus for the time being until the student is "healed"? Maybe in the schools you are familiar with it's all fine and dandy. But, in most urban, inner-city school districts, there is a not insignificant percentage of the student population which is FIGHTING the efforts made to educate them. Within special education, this percentage is even greater. And not because of real disabilities.

Every kid should have a right to a quality, free (ok, publicly funded) education. Every kid should have reasonable accomodations made for them to allow them to access that curiculum in situations where a disability renders them unable to access on their own under the standard set of circumstances provided to the general population. Problem is, there's an entirely separate reality out there for a percentage of the student population. If your only real knowledge of and experience with schools is through what you read in the newspaper or what you've observed from a distance as a parent who maybe visits a campus/classroom once or twice a year, you wouldn't know about it. If your only real experience with schools is through what you've observed in suburban (or even wealthy) school districts, you wouldn't know about it either.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:56 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,963,301 times
Education in general isn't very impressive. The struggling is more reflective on poor teaching and poorly designed assessments. Schools do an amazing job at blaming the students with individual differences.

The accommodations don't really make a difference in learning. But they might make a difference in the numbers game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Questions View Post
When I was in High School in the 1980s if you had some type of mental disability you just struggled. There were no accommodations at all that I could remember. Now my brother's sons are given all this extra time because they paid a mental heath professional to say they have all these disabilities. They have so called mental disabilities that I have never heard of. They seem perfectly normal to me. So they get more time to take tests and complete assignments they claim they have ADHD, dyslexia and a few other things I do not remember.

Now that they are going into college they are getting special accommodations to take the SAT test. Both of them get like twice as long as a so called normal person to take the tests. I told my brother that the whole thing is unfair because when they go into college I doubt they will get these accommodations. In the corporate world is XYZ Company going to let them slide on deadlines due to ADHD or dyslexia? I doubt it.

What do you think about all these special accomodations?

Old 05-04-2010, 10:01 AM

I've seen mentally challenged people push carts, ring up cashiers, and manage the automatic scanners very well. All of which are easier than taking standardized exams. Exams come two or three times a semester. Good routine work habits becomes ingrained within a week. My point is that exams do not predict your work competence.

Quote:
I am not talking about a major disability but minor ones. It seems like at my brothers kids school it is chic to get a doctor to say you have countless learning disabilities. Nearly half the kids get some extra accomodation when it comes to tests and assignments. Once they enter the real world then they will learn the world is a tough place.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:11 AM

I also believe that parents should teach their kids to mind their own business and focus on their own grade. Stop sticking your nose into other kids' issues and concerns.

If your child is excellent at exam taking and is well prepared. Then why should you be concerned with the other students who get extra time because of their mild disability?

School is to learn. Focus on your own learning. Stop focusing on everyone else.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:41 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,171,577 times
Quote:
What do you think about all these special accomodations?
I think that no two children learn alike. It is an entirely individual process, and common sense should prevail. Most will agree that this idea is unrealistic in large schools however.

That said, if you look at the current mania of test score results, maybe we can conclude from it that we are finding creative ways to get kids to pass federal legislation that demands that they not be left behind - including diagnosis and allowing them to redo work until they get a passing grade.

Has anyone else noticed the grand focus on Language Arts and Mathematics and little more? My kids have Science and Social Studies twice a week. Twice a week? Really?

Old 08-28-2011, 07:40 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,932,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gstsonshoes View Post
Honestly people really need to stop talking about the real world....We need to remember the SO call REAL world accommodation are used everyday... Computer(spell checks), phone and many other things...so if ANY child need accommodation in school or college they should get it...If you posted on this page you are using accommodation that we didn't have back in the day..
We have TTYs for the hearing impaired. We have glasses and contacts for the vision impaired and the blind can often use braille and braille writers. We have wheel chairs and walkers for those who cannot walk. We have voice synthesizers for those who have difficulty talking.

Somehow, people are loathe to admit that people who have learning disabilities need accommodations too.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:51 PM

2 posts, read 1,901 times
Honestly people really need to stop talking about the real world....We need to remember the SO call REAL world accommodation are used everyday... Computer(spell checks), phone and many other things...so if ANY child need accommodation in school or college they should get it...If you posted on this page you are using accommodation that we didn't have back in the day..I would rather see a parent acknowledge the child disability then act as if they don't have one...if you don't know the struggle don't judge the action..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education