Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 01:22 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,055,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Questions View Post
So what happens to the kids who got accommodations in High School when they go to college? Are they still given extra time to complete the tests? How about when they get a good job as an adult, is the boss going to give them a break because they tested for ADHD or dyslexia?

I don't know about college. My son won't be going, he would never make it through. But he will be going to trade school because I think it will help him out.

I don't know about other business and what they do. I am a business owner and if I hire a person with a disability, I know it when I hire them and I go out of my way to help them fit in and do a good job.

In my restaurant a person my not be able to run my business. But they could take phone orders, clean tables, wash dishes, etc. with a little training.

With my construction company a person with disabilities my not be a superintendent, foremen, lead carpenter, etc. but with training they could do labor work without a problem.

Plus I see the local Winn Dixie hires baggers and shopping return help that have disabilities and they workout just fine.

People are so afraid that because a child is getting special help that it is taking away from his child in some way, which is not true.

I don't believe in giving someone a free ride. But I do believe that all children should get the best education available and if it takes special help then they should get that help.

Same way with my business. No free rides for anyone, but if you're disable and you're willing to be trained I can find a place for you.

The funny thing is, I started my business because I wanted my son to have a place to work without people complaining that he is getting special help.

busta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 01:28 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,968,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Questions View Post
So what happens to the kids who got accommodations in High School when they go to college? Are they still given extra time to complete the tests? How about when they get a good job as an adult, is the boss going to give them a break because they tested for ADHD or dyslexia?
Yes they do. I know this because my son is currently receiving this type of accommodation. One of the biggest tip offs to recognizing a learning disability is a high IQ, vs. low grades. In my son's case, he has difficulty with reading. If he hears the instructions, he can easily grasp them. He struggles with decoding phonetics. On the other hand, he can design and build an engine, is a whiz on the computer, and knows more about history than anybody I know.

He will graduate college because these programs are in place for students who qualify. It helps to research the colleges for strong resource departments.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:36 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,242,747 times
It's a bad idea because in the real world, nobody is going to give you extra time. you'll just lose your job...

You might as well learn earlier this fact of life.

I recall some law student who won the "right" to get extra time on her bar examination. Problem is, once she's a lawyer, "more time" means more billing, meaning other lawyers could do what she does in less time, which the clients would prefer. Who is going to hire someone who takes longer to do legal work, and who would hire a lawyer that takes longer meaning it will cost you more?

Old 04-30-2010, 01:42 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,313,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
It's a bad idea because in the real world, nobody is going to give you extra time. you'll just lose your job...
That is totally dependent upon the job. Many jobs allow for the employee to put in extra time as they need

Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990,AS AMENDED with ADA Amendments Act of 2008

Unfortunately this thread is much like society as a whole. People judging based on prejudice and ignorance of the true situation.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:49 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,055,023 times
Quote:

I recall some law student who won the "right" to get extra time on her bar examination. Problem is, once she's a lawyer, "more time" means more billing, meaning other lawyers could do what she does in less time, which the clients would prefer. Who is going to hire someone who takes longer to do legal work, and who would hire a lawyer that takes longer meaning it will cost you more?

Well I guess I don't own real business in the real world.

People can and do function in real jobs with help and training and the right job.

busta

Old 04-30-2010, 01:59 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,292,547 times
Quote:

In my industry working with high voltage electricity, it is better to have someone take extra time and make sure everything is right, than to have the type of person who is quick to jump to uneducated conclusions and is wrong. The latter end up dead.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:04 PM

My point is, what about people that bill hourly, like lawyers or consultants. Are you really going to pay extra because the person is slower?

One field where I'm sure the consumer wouldn't mind is automechanics.. They are paid based how long the book says it should take. If you are faster, then you still get paid how much the book says it should take for the time, but if you're slower, then that's less time you could be working on another repair.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:15 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,313,886 times
Quote:
My point is, what about people that bill hourly, like lawyers or consultants. Are you really going to pay extra because the person is slower?

One field where I'm sure the consumer wouldn't mind is automechanics.. They are paid based how long the book says it should take. If you are faster, then you still get paid how much the book says it should take for the time, but if you're slower, then that's less time you could be working on another repair.
So, you are saying that certain people fit in to certain jobs better that other people. Can't disagree with you on that one.

That's true for everyone, regardless of ability/disability

Old 04-30-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
So, you are saying that certain people fit in to certain jobs better that other people. Can't disagree with you on that one.

That's true for everyone, regardless of ability/disability
So how are you helping people by giving them more time when that's only likely to hurt them in the job market? Might as well learn the truth earlier, so you have more time to adapt.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:30 PM

128 posts, read 403,600 times
I am not talking about a major disability but minor ones. It seems like at my brothers kids school it is chic to get a doctor to say you have countless learning disabilities. Nearly half the kids get some extra accomodation when it comes to tests and assignments. Once they enter the real world then they will learn the world is a tough place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education