Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 05:42 PM

8 posts, read 25,477 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I may be relocating to El Paso and have a lot of questions/concerns. There are many differences between the small town in Ohio that I live in now and El Paso. See below.

Small town Ohio
Estimated population in July 2006: 8,357

[LEFT]Races in where I live:
  • White Non-Hispanic (94.2%)
  • Hispanic (3.7%)
  • Other race (1.4%)
  • Two or more races (1.1%)
  • American Indian (0.6%)
[/LEFT]

El Paso
Estimated population in July 2006: 609,415

[LEFT]Races in El Paso:
  • Hispanic (76.6%)
  • White Non-Hispanic (18.3%)
  • Other race (18.2%)
  • Two or more races (3.4%)
  • Black (3.1%)
  • American Indian (1.2%)
[/LEFT]

So the size of the city and cultural differences are about as far apart as you can get.

I am currently a production supervisor and if I make the move I would be in charge of our production operation in Juarez.

Have any of you made the move to El Paso from such a different background?

I currently make $61000 and am hoping to be offered at least 75000 to 80000 there. Our current house payment with taxes and insurance is 895, from what I have read I believe I would like to live in the west end.

What could I expect my house payment to be on a average house there with taxes?

How would my income compare to most on the west end?

I expect my wifes income to remain in the the low to mid 30's if she can find work in her field. So that would put us around $110,000.

My wife is in the medical field and the doctors she works with now both have contacts in El Paso and say they should be able to get her a job, how hard would that be with her not speaking Spanish?

I am caucasion my wife is Spanish but does not speak the language since she was born in Ohio and her parents divorced and married anglo's.

Would my wife be looked down on for being Spanish and not speaking the language?

We have 2 children 8 and 11, they can pass for either descent, would they have trouble in school/making friends not being able to speak Spanish?

How are the schools in El Paso?
Both kids are A students and their education is very important to us.
How are the private schools and does anyone know the costs?

I have read about the low crime rate but notice a lot of the pictures of homes with bars on windows and doors?

Is it safe for children to be out in the neighborhood and play? It is like Mayberry here, while we keep a good eye on them there isn't much concern for anything happening and can freely ride their bikes around and walk down to a friends house.

How safe is the commute to Jaurez? I guess it is a 30 minute drive once over the bridge.

I have been to El Paso once when I was in the USMC with a friend who is from Las Cruces but I do not remember much it was back in 1993. We are still close and that will make the move a little easier with him being near by.

Any input would be appreciated, especially from posters who have made the move there with children. I am sorry for such a long post but this a huge decision and I am stressing out a little. I will be making a trip there at the end of the month for a week to check out the plant and area.

Again thank you in advance for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 08:09 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,716,815 times
My friend, I don't live in El Paso but am working on potentially relocating there too. Unfortunately, I am right now actually applying for a job in El Paso with a deadline for that to hit real soon, so I cannot respond thoroughly now...I will do so more ASAP at a later time.

In the meantime though, I can absolutely assure you that for $110K you can live really, really well in El Paso. Housing stock is fairly inexpensive in Texas in general. I know a $210K house in Milwaukee, WI would go for roughly $140K in El Paso. Property taxes are fairly high in Texas, but there is no personal income tax in Texas which balances things out.

Heck, my intended household income in El Paso wouldn't be quite near yours at all, and I still could go alot, lot farther there with my intended salary in EP than I could here in the Midwest.

I will answer more as a fellow "possible transplant" (I have visited El Paso over 20 times before and have family who live in the city...and I don't speak Espanol either) tomorrow!

Old 02-14-2008, 09:42 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,958,039 times
OH CRAP MUHNAY IS GOING TO RESPOND!

Quote:
Hi All,
I may be relocating to El Paso and have a lot of questions/concerns. There are many differences between the small town in Ohio that I live in now and El Paso. See below.

Small town Ohio
Estimated population in July 2006: 8,357

Races in where I live:
  • White Non-Hispanic (94.2%)
  • Hispanic (3.7%)
  • Other race (1.4%)
  • Two or more races (1.1%)
  • American Indian (0.6%)

El Paso
Estimated population in July 2006: 609,415

Races in El Paso:
  • Hispanic (76.6%)
  • White Non-Hispanic (18.3%)
  • Other race (18.2%)
  • Two or more races (3.4%)
  • Black (3.1%)
  • American Indian (1.2%)

So the size of the city and cultural differences are about as far apart as you can get.

You got that right..

I am currently a production supervisor and if I make the move I would be in charge of our production operation in Juarez.

How do you feel about an hour to 2 hour bridge crossing every day back and forth, so add 4 hours to your work day. Its even worse now with the new restrictions.. and you would be going into a dangerous city daily. Oh and you'll have over 100K a year.. yeah you just painted yourself as a great kidnap victim.

I currently make $61000 and am hoping to be offered at least 75000 to 80000 there. Our current house payment with taxes and insurance is 895, from what I have read I believe I would like to live in the west end.

You expect a raise.. yeah you have never been to El Paso, most people who come here get paid less than what they currently make. I hope you have that offer in writing.

Hows your credit? do you own a home now? Anywhere from 500-1500 a month.

West end of the country? can you better explain?

I expect my wifes income to remain in the the low to mid 30's if she can find work in her field. So that would put us around $110,000.

yeah that sounds about right in El Paso.. your wifes income.. 110K a year would make you a Wealthy El Pasoan. Most here survive on or around 24k a year..

My wife is in the medical field and the doctors she works with now both have contacts in El Paso and say they should be able to get her a job, how hard would that be with her not speaking Spanish?

Pretty hard. Considering every place here just about requires you to speak spanish to work here.

I am Caucasian my wife is Spanish but does not speak the language since she was born in Ohio and her parents divorced and married anglo's.

Would my wife be looked down on for being Spanish and not speaking the language?

yes in some circles.. and no in others.

We have 2 children 8 and 11, they can pass for either descent, would they have trouble in school/making friends not being able to speak Spanish?

Well they would get taught in Spanish and English here. they will feel really out of place.. and may have some trouble. read the thread things Have changed to get an idea of what kids are like here.

The Schools Suck! Are you catholic, most the private schools here are church run. Look the schools up here compared to the ones near you. Also know there is rising gang activity here.. something to think about with your kids.

I have read about the low crime rate but notice a lot of the pictures of homes with bars on windows and doors?

The Low crime stats are a lie... fluffed down. El Paso does not scare me, but I don't let my kids play like you said you let yours where you are now. Why does everyone have bars and fenced yards if its so safe?

Is it safe for children to be out in the neighborhood and play? It is like Mayberry here, while we keep a good eye on them there isn't much concern for anything happening and can freely ride their bikes around and walk down to a friends house.

No, I don't think so, again read the post about THINGS HAVE CHANGED .

How safe is the commute to Jaurez? I guess it is a 30 minute drive once over the bridge.

30.. HAHAHA.. oh man your in for a surprise. try an hour at the least to 2 maybe even 3. Not safe at all.. maybe you have not heard about the recent killings and deaths in Juarez? Drug Cartels are at war.

I have been to El Paso once when I was in the USMC with a friend who is from Las Cruces but I do not remember much it was back in 1993. We are still close and that will make the move a little easier with him being near by.

Then have him move to where you are, it would be better for both of you.

Any input would be appreciated, especially from posters who have made the move there with children. I am sorry for such a long post but this a huge decision and I am stressing out a little. I will be making a trip there at the end of the month for a week to check out the plant and area.

I suggest you really rethink the move here.. I don't think it would be the best move for your kids or wife. Reassess your reasons for making this move.. are you doing this for more money, to better your family, to be near your old pal in the marines, or what? I don't know all your facts, but from what I have seen here.. it would be a big mistake.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:50 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBux View Post
Hi All,

I am caucasion my wife is Spanish but does not speak the language since she was born in Ohio and her parents divorced and married anglo's.

Again thank you in advance for any input.
I have -- the traffic here may be the worst shock. It's not like the huge cities but it's pretty bad depending on time of day and people here drive pretty bad. Not most of the people -- most are fine but it only takes a certain number of terrible drivers to make for a high accident rate.

Property taxes here are horrendous. That will be another big shock but with your income you can certainly afford a home on the west side. Living in the Upper Valley can feel a bit like a small town and there are still a few glimpses of the rural life.

It depends on what your wife's job would be --- if it's much patient contact -- then without Spanish it could be hard and many of the Mexicans will get angry at someone who "looks" like they should speak Spanish but don't. And many get even madder when someone who "looks" like they should speak it doesn't speak it well enough for their tastes --- but they'll give someone else who looks like they wouldn't speak Spanish much more rope -- even give them credit for trying.

On that -- people's opinions can only affect you if you care about their opinions --- many people in this position decide not to care about what others think. One guy I knew took the attitude that the best defense is an offense and when told he should be ashamed for not speaking Spanish, that he gave up his Mexican heritage -- leaving the criticizer aghast.

The iron bars on doors and windows does generally mean that people are afraid of their homes being burglarized -- but doesn't mean they fear for their lives. There's not much fearing for our lives here -- but property crimes are pretty high here. It's just easier to have the bars and security alarms installed and come home and find your possessions still there.

It's safe enough for kids -- but most of the yards on the West side have high fences around the backyards. It's not like Mayberry but not because the kids are in any special danger -- people here just like fences a lot. If you're used to a more rural life, you might want to consider the Upper Valley instead because there's a more open rural feel -- people riding bikes and horses, more of that "Midwest" feel with green spaces and so on.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:58 PM

I almost forgot --- you almost cannot beat the weather here.

It gets just cold enough to know it's winter but it's a short winter -- while the rest of the country was having blizzards, we just had the most perfect weather weekend.

It was so nice -- I almost changed my vote for best month for El Paso from June to February.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
OH CRAP MUHNAY IS GOING TO RESPOND!
But -- to be fair -- as far as the crime --- if someone is from Houston, Los Angeles, Detroit, or New Orleans, crime here will seem to be not any kind of problem. If someone came from a more "Mayberry" type place then they will likely think it's too much crime here.

You'll have to learn to lock up your car -- even if you'll be right back out, you don't leave the windows and doors unlocked when you're not home -- and most people seem to keep their windows and doors locked even when they are home.

It's not like a Midwestern small town here -- kids won't leave bikes out in the yard if they ever want to see them again. If you want to keep something you own, keep it locked up at all times.

One of my co-workers -- on the West side left the garage door open just for a few minutes, looked out the window and saw a guy drive off with all their bikes in the trunk of his car that he couldn't close. Auto theft is considerably up lately -- and for some reason nothing gets done about that problem -- I think it's too politically incorrect to try to stop it.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:22 PM

114 posts, read 366,238 times
<Moderator cut: off topic>
El Paso is a good place, with good schools, with many things to do, inexpensive housing compared to the rest of the nation, and as malamute pointed out great weather. Employment is a challenge because you so many living here and only so many jobs. Some of the friendliest people live in El Paso..

El Paso/Juarez is the fouruth largest manufacturing site in the Americas, and the Medical School and Children's Hospital will create a new synergy which will become the new economy and the federal presence is going to grow here bigtime...

El Paso is poised for big times and smart growth.

Last edited by peggydavis; 02-15-2008 at 02:35 AM.. Reason: Off topic

Old 02-14-2008, 10:59 PM

<Moderator cut: off topic>
Greatschools.net Search: El Paso

Greatschools link.. compare your schools to El Paso's and tell me how great we are.

Pay.. here is a comparison from Salary.com For a Random City in OHIO and El Paso TX..

http://swz.salary.com/costoflivingwi...on=56&x=37&y=8

The cost of living here may seem low to other parts of the country, but so is the pay rate.. so if you make less then the cost of living is just as high as any other place.

Yes We have great weather, but is that really enough to off set the many negatives? I don't think so.

Housing.. ok.. most houses are selling in the 190-250K range here now, back when they only used to cost 40-60K here. So there has been a major increase, and then the Taxes.. your going to pay out the nose in property tax here, consider that when moving here. And again, 190-250K houses where the average income is less than 30K a year. If you ain't got it.. everything is expensive.

<Moderator cut: off topic> Smart Growth would of been having Biggs Field completed by this time already, having the roads, and infrastructure in place already, or just wrapping it up.. we are behind about 3 years, and were not catching up. Thats fact. We have 60 thousand soldiers coming here some with families, they estimate around 150-200K new people all showing up in a little 3 year time window. Thats like me going to Las Cruces and packing up the city and moving every one from there to El Paso. It is going to be a nightmare.

<Moderator cut: off topic> Dont buy into the hype. Southernbliss just got here, maybe she can chime in <Moderator cut: off topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miner72 View Post
<Moderator cut: orphaned quote>

El Paso is a good place, with good schools, with many things to do, inexpensive housing compared to the rest of the nation, and as malamute pointed out great weather. Employment is a challenge because you so many living here and only so many jobs. Some of the friendliest people live in El Paso..

El Paso/Juarez is the fouruth largest manufacturing site in the Americas, and the Medical School and Children's Hospital will create a new synergy which will become the new economy and the federal presence is going to grow here bigtime...

Last edited by peggydavis; 02-15-2008 at 02:44 AM..

Old 02-14-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miner72 View Post
<Moderator cut: orphaned quote>

Well Muhnay is honest too -- and isn't as thrilled with the weather as some of us -- maybe that's also a factor of what other kind of weather someone knows. If someone were used to Hawaii or parts of California, they might not be as impressed with the weather here as someone who came from a place where the weather was more difficult.

From what I've seen -- you really can't predict very well who will like it here and who won't. I've had Chicano friends who grew up in the Midwest visit here and ask me why on earth I'm living here. And others take to El Paso instantly and they may be who you might think wouldn't.

Some of the schools in El Paso are okay -- some are pretty bad -- but in every school there are some kids who are doing well enough and will be able to go on to college. Some of the teachers here are pretty mediocre -- some teachers including in the poorer performing schools are quite good.

Some work places have a better attitude toward the English speaking -- some are more hostile. It is like Muhnay said -- it depends on the social circle. I would suspect an English speaking hispanic will tend to associate mostly with other Americans who speak English and do okay -- but they will almost certainly encounter those with an attitude -- it just depends on how sensitive one might be or what their interaction with that type has to be.

Last edited by peggydavis; 02-15-2008 at 02:46 AM..

Old 02-15-2008, 04:33 AM

I feel bad for poor peggydavis, we must be like a kindergarten class for her. We keep this hard working moderator busy. Thanks Peggy for your hard work and mod cuts. It reads much better now and will be more helpful to this person and his family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso