Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2011, 11:37 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
I never argue with one's opinion. It is what it is. I find it very interesting that you point out a lot of negative things about El Paso but then insinuate that things are better in NM. By most accounts, even on this hate and crab filled forum, EP is friendlier, cleaner, and safer than NM. I would assume you are a recent transplant and not used to the southwest and/or bordertown culture. I could be wrong. Regardless, I challenge you to experience all of El Paso. There is a lot more variety here than most closed minded people give it credit for.

OLLY1069 reminds me a lot of many Soldiers I met in my 32 years of Army life.
Wherever they lived the locals do not know how to drive, are rude, dirty, ignorant, etc. Their hometowns are the best and the present Army assignment is the worst because the last one was the best.

One example I have is what I was still stationed here at Fort Bliss before I retired last year.

Soldiers used to say the people in El Paso do not know how to drive. I was the Public Works Sergeant Major at Fort Bliss. I had to make sure countless of posts, fences, and other things on roads and buildings were repaired because Soldiers tore them down while driving and the speed limit on post is usually not higher than 35 miles per hour.
Where in Hometown USA do you see stop signs when you leave a 7 Eleven store parking lot or for that matter just about any parking lot going into the street? Just look around and you will rarely see a stop sign. Why? Beause it is common sense to look both ways before you go into the street!!!!
Well, at Fort Bliss I was ordered I had to install STOP signs because there were many close accidents because Soldiers were leaving the Shoppetes parking lots without seeing the traffic!!!!!!!! And they complain local do not know how to drive!!!!!????
So yes, there are always people that will exaggerate the local environment they do not like, take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 04:52 PM

43 posts, read 125,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spark View Post
Hi everyone. This is my first post.

I'm a Canadian. Dad has to choose between moving to either El Paso or Florida for business reasons. He likes El Paso best from what he has heard.

I want to know what the scenery is like where you live. Is there a nice view? I'm mostly bedridden and housebound, so looking out the window is a big passtime for me. The satalite pictures and other pictures I've been able to find on the internet make El Paso look dry, kind of flat and smoggy. It looks like a big place that may be hard to get around in. I didn't notice any lawns or trees or parks. Can you grow a garden? I like that the weather is stable.

What is it like to live in El Paso? Thanks for the replies. (( ))
hello canuckian! i am from florida and now live in el paso. been here 7 years now and if i wanted to go home, i could have. i love the desert. i'm not fond of snakes, sharks, gators, skeeters (tho we have them here) roaches and swamp smells. i hate humidity. therefore, i love el paso. we get hotter than florida in temperature every year but it's way more tolerable cos it's arid. we get colder than florida in the winter -- tho not by much -- and it's way more tolerable cos it's arid. humidity makes everything worse except the skin.

fact is, if you want great skin, grow up in a place like florida or canada where it's humid. if you want better health as you get older, vacate florida and come west. but better get used to spanish cos boy it's abundant here. and get used to being in the minority if you're white and non-hispanic -- non-spanish speaking.

i LOVE el paso. LOVE el paso. and no, it's not smoggy by a long shot. our air is great and so is our water. in fact i hear tell it's the water's lithium that brings back those of us who've left once, only to return later and stay this time.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:02 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,035,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmapeel View Post
in fact i hear tell it's the water's lithium that brings back those of us who've left once, only to return later and stay this time.
Lithium in the water? Brilliant, as it's an anti-psychotic. (Though, yes, I realize it's below it's efficacy level.)

Old 06-08-2012, 07:19 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreLysium View Post
Lithium in the water? Brilliant, as it's an anti-psychotic. (Though, yes, I realize it's below it's efficacy level.)
The lithium might explain why people in El Paso are rather calm and laid back but why doesn't the lithium affect those in our sister-city of Juarez?

Old 06-22-2012, 05:04 AM

10 posts, read 13,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by councilor j View Post
I live in Albuquerque,I love the desert,but I think that El Paso has got to one of the ugliest cities I have ever seen.Once u enter El Paso you see smog and the slums of Juarez,Mexico off the interstate.The city looks kinda old.
Hahahaha you make me laugh!! In case you did not know, El Paso means: the old west or the pass of the north. Anyways since you just talk trash about a beautiful city, let me change your mind. El Paso has a lot of construction going on. It has a lot of green parks, downtown is pretty, the mountains are amazing, the houses are affordable (with green grass), and there are a lot of tourist attractions. Next time go do some exploring before you talk and talk. Have a GOOD DAY!!

Old 07-06-2012, 03:41 AM

56 posts, read 156,284 times
Get used to hot weather, tacos, the mountains and of course us mexicans lol, I think my city is beautiful but that is because I have always loved the desert landscape

Old 02-10-2014, 12:12 PM

44 posts, read 91,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
LOL, I hold no love for El Paso, and I live here.. but I can say Smog.. bwahahaha your kidding right, we were just awarded the clean air award for having the best air quailty in Texas. Also you from Almakookoo.. where an Indian gets mad and there is no way in or out of your city, cause they will shut the highways down.. And yeah you have the river and we dont cause you *****s in New Mexico have damned it all up so we Texans dont get to have the beauty of it.. And dont you KooKoo's have a really huge crime rate.. yeah I thought so.. so shush you.

I will agree the view of Mexico is not great.. but neither is them reservations you have along the highway there.
I was born in El Paso 80 years ago and have been around this planet some. El Paso is not ideal but I have seen a lot worse in my travels. As for Albq. It has nicer mountains but i've noticed a more visible local gang activity in Albq. The Driving force for Albq. is Kirkland AFB and Intel . The balloon festival is a brilliant tourist attraction and I love their Zoo. El Paso is finally getting their Sh..t together and I believe will soon be an even better place once the gang warfare in Juarez goes away. I will choose El Paso over Albq due to weather and friendlier people. I do wish the natives here would either learn the English language or use it as called for by the situation at hand,. A store clerk serving customers in the USA that can't speak our language is a total disgrace, This is a result of pitiful hiring practices of most all the retail merchants in the City. Having spent a lot of time in Mexico I am always intrigued on how well English is spoken by waiters, gas station attendants, street vendors and car washers. I asked several of those I enacted with how the learned to speak English so well. Their replies were that they learned this in school. Hmmm, maybe Texas is lacking in education, Sorry I got off track

Old 06-21-2015, 08:29 AM

575 posts, read 884,456 times
I'm going to provide a controverting opinion here for those people smart enough not to believe everything you read on the internet. (Edit - Note: the nasty, troll-y post I responded to seems to have disappeared. good.)

El Paso isn't the "prettiest" town, especially if your eye is used to endless green and trees; but -- I moved here 25 years ago, and I've grown to love it. Contrary to the above poster, there are wonderful gardens here. The Chihuahuan Desert flora is really interesting, and you can make some lovely, interesting, and waterwise landscapes with it -- you just have to see it with "desert eyes" and use imagination. I think the very thriving master gardeners around here would also disagree.

The weather can be pretty great, too -- brilliant sunshine in the winter, fantastical thunderstorms in the summer, and best of all -- very few natural disasters. I think the city government has done a pretty good job in elevating the tone of the city in the past couple of decades, despite "politics."

Sure, there are problems, and there is poverty and uneducated people, but I think in general, these areas are improving. To me, the people here are very friendly and family oriented, there's lots to do if you don't sit around and sulk and want to be entertained, and it's a safe, low cost and low stress area to live in.

Last edited by Violet West; 06-21-2015 at 09:46 AM..

Old 06-21-2015, 04:46 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet West View Post
I'm going to provide a controverting opinion here for those people smart enough not to believe everything you read on the internet. (Edit - Note: the nasty, troll-y post I responded to seems to have disappeared. good.)

El Paso isn't the "prettiest" town, especially if your eye is used to endless green and trees; but -- I moved here 25 years ago, and I've grown to love it. Contrary to the above poster, there are wonderful gardens here. The Chihuahuan Desert flora is really interesting, and you can make some lovely, interesting, and waterwise landscapes with it -- you just have to see it with "desert eyes" and use imagination. I think the very thriving master gardeners around here would also disagree.

The weather can be pretty great, too -- brilliant sunshine in the winter, fantastical thunderstorms in the summer, and best of all -- very few natural disasters. I think the city government has done a pretty good job in elevating the tone of the city in the past couple of decades, despite "politics."

Sure, there are problems, and there is poverty and uneducated people, but I think in general, these areas are improving. To me, the people here are very friendly and family oriented, there's lots to do if you don't sit around and sulk and want to be entertained, and it's a safe, low cost and low stress area to live in.
I'd rep you if I could Violet West but have to spread it around a little first.

This is a great post and I agree with you 100% I moved here in the late 60's with only a few years away with my then military husband. I STILL find El Paso beautiful in many ways...many of which you already mentioned. My back rock wall backs up to BLM land and I'm delighted with wildlife on a daily basis...roadrunners, squirrels, fox, mule deer, coyotes...just to name a few. My front landscaping is colorful with desert plantings...red bird of paradise, Texas laurel, gopher plant, chocolate flower, bottle brush, barrel cactus...just to name a few.

The sunsets still amaze me as does how sweet the air smells after a nice rain. So yeah, El Paso is what you choose to make it. It's my home and I choose to see the beauty everything good about it.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:54 PM

575 posts, read 884,456 times
(virtual rep here -- since I, too, must spread it around)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso