Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 06:02 PM

91 posts, read 237,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsrobinson73 View Post
Btroop ~ I posted to you under the "property taxes" thread, i have been waiting to see your response LOL ~ have you had a chance to check it out yet? I basically said to please check out Horizon City before deciding it was "too far". My husband and I are buying there, and we don't feel it is "too far" especially with a new gate that might possibly be opening up to making Ft Bliss a lot closer to HC. Beautiful affordable houses in HC. Our house will close escrow this month and were so excited!
I've been looking at HC. Is there a grocery store out there? What is shopping like in HC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 06:50 PM

56 posts, read 268,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btroop View Post
I've been looking at HC. Is there a grocery store out there? What is shopping like in HC?
They do have some grocery stores but nothing big like a Kohls, JC Penney, Sears or Wal Mart. But you don't have to, you can find those types of stores about 5 minutes away heading west on Loop 375.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:30 AM

479 posts, read 1,294,445 times
Fred is right, its not that far to get to those places with in 5 minutes or so. I guess for us, since we are used to big cities, thats normal. It just doesn't seem that far and really, I dont' want to live right NEXT to a Sears or Mall or something, ya know? I wan to live away from that and i'll drive to that when i want to shop. But, thats just my preference. Our house in HC closes this month im so excited!

Old 03-12-2009, 12:23 PM

272 posts, read 1,062,978 times
Quote:
Fred is right, its not that far to get to those places with in 5 minutes or so. I guess for us, since we are used to big cities, thats normal. It just doesn't seem that far and really, I dont' want to live right NEXT to a Sears or Mall or something, ya know? I wan to live away from that and i'll drive to that when i want to shop. But, thats just my preference. Our house in HC closes this month im so excited!
Congratulations Mrsrobinson!! Good for you and your family!!

Old 03-12-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc el paso View Post
Congratulations Mrsrobinson!! Good for you and your family!!

why thank ya!

Old 03-12-2009, 04:34 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,704,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbstuart View Post
Just watch your property taxes. Texas is notoriously high. A 2200 SF house in Horizon City built in 2005 that costs around $160,000 has $4200 a year in property tax (or $3882 with a homestead exemption). Also your house can't appreciate much in Texas, because with the high tax rate and the fact that Texas assesses at full market value and can (and usually does) raise taxes 10% every year, nobody could afford to live here if the property value went up too much. Assuming you would work in Texas, though, we have no state income tax - so there's a savings there.
Not just the taxes, but the water bill. If you want to plant, or have a swimming pool it could run high. Although, I consider myself to love the desert, HC has a desolate, "no-scape" (verses landscape) feeling to it, because its so new. It's completely a matter of opinion and lifestyle choice. Personally, I like Las Cruces better. My biggest concern about living in HC is the rapid growth the area has experienced. Right now, you can't tell what is going to happen within a few years if growth continues. For example, I have a friend that lives in HC and she and her husband state, there are intersections that once only had stop signs, and now have traffic lights which have become busy intersections. I don't know, because I don't live there, but I don't think there are any city planers that thoroughly investigate what would happen in the event of exponential growth over the course of a few years or more. HC has new schools, new police dept, a new hospital, new malls, all which popped up almost overnight.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:00 PM

91 posts, read 237,738 times
Quote:
I'm with you on that. Five minutes to groceries is perfect. I used to live 30 minutes to a grocery store and that got old. Are you going to live near the Emerald area? I think that is what they call it. It has a lot of streets with the name emerald in them.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
Not just the taxes, but the water bill. If you want to plant, or have a swimming pool it could run high. Although, I consider myself to love the desert, HC has a desolate, "no-scape" (verses landscape) feeling to it, because its so new. It's completely a matter of opinion and lifestyle choice. Personally, I like Las Cruces better. My biggest concern about living in HC is the rapid growth the area has experienced. Right now, you can't tell what is going to happen within a few years if growth continues. For example, I have a friend that lives in HC and she and her husband state, there are intersections that once only had stop signs, and now have traffic lights which have become busy intersections. I don't know, because I don't live there, but I don't think there are any city planers that thoroughly investigate what would happen in the event of exponential growth over the course of a few years or more. HC has new schools, new police dept, a new hospital, new malls, all which popped up almost overnight.
new malls in horizon city? where is this? From what I hear, all of El Paso is dealing with the traffic and intersections, not necesarily just Horizon City. Its only 3 miles from the El Paso city limit someone on here said ~ but yea its just personal preference.

We don't have the choice to live in Las Cruses, b/c dh will work at Bliss, but the thing it really boiled down to for us was ~ we got a nice big house square footage wise, and a pretty decent sized yard, not huge, but not mini either ~ for a really good price. We couldn't find a house of that square footage on the west or east side at that price. My husband fell in love. I might have preferred to be on the west side, b/c of the "mature" landscaping, and mostly due to the fact that we will be going to Alamogordo/Cloudcroft quite a bit and it would be closer................other than that one thing, im prefectly happy in horizon city. To each their own i guess..........

Old 03-13-2009, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btroop View Post
I'm with you on that. Five minutes to groceries is perfect. I used to live 30 minutes to a grocery store and that got old. Are you going to live near the Emerald area? I think that is what they call it. It has a lot of streets with the name emerald in them.
We are close i think...................correct me if im wrong, but the "emerald" area is on the west side of the golfcourse, and we are on the other side of it, close to the "desert" area

Old 03-13-2009, 08:11 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Quote:
new malls in horizon city? where is this? From what I hear, all of El Paso is dealing with the traffic and intersections, not necesarily just Horizon City. Its only 3 miles from the El Paso city limit someone on here said ~ but yea its just personal preference.

We don't have the choice to live in Las Cruses, b/c dh will work at Bliss, but the thing it really boiled down to for us was ~ we got a nice big house square footage wise, and a pretty decent sized yard, not huge, but not mini either ~ for a really good price. We couldn't find a house of that square footage on the west or east side at that price. My husband fell in love. I might have preferred to be on the west side, b/c of the "mature" landscaping, and mostly due to the fact that we will be going to Alamogordo/Cloudcroft quite a bit and it would be closer................other than that one thing, im prefectly happy in horizon city. To each their own i guess..........

You'll love Horizon Mrsrobinson and i hope you'll still me an active member on City Data and let us know wazzzzz happening out there from time to time .

Something to consider about the drive to and from Las Cruces to EP is that starting this summer for TWO years they (NM DOT) are gonna be widening I-10 from 2 to 3 lanes which is sorely needed but the construction headaches will be bothersome for the next couple years on that drive until completed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso