Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2009, 08:45 AM

730 posts, read 1,896,004 times

Advertisements

Based on Saturday against Jordan from Tulsa, seems Cooper and Britton could not hang with the big men. For that matter, they could't hang with the #2 and #3 big man from Tulsa. Cooper inside has only one option...back in and try to head/pump fake and go up....he has no other developed inside move and no hops. Once they figured that out, he was stopped copnsistently by the Hurricanes. The Tulsa big men were mobile and had that "baby sky hook" that seemd to fall for them quite consistently. I'm thinking that with our main big men, we have enough fouls to get the other teams big man in trouble and tire them out, but we will not dominate the paint with what we have. And if our guard penetration and outside shooting fails, what is left? It was tough not having Culpepper in there and that hurt.

Now in regard to this new player from L'ville. I bring up two names...Fred Rouse and Andre Jones. Here are two FB guys UTEP took chances on or would have taken a chance on with fantastic talent and got in trouble at their previous schools. Seems the experiment did not work with FB...will it work with BB? Let's see if the desire to succeed will overcome bad in the moment decision making.

Last edited by Caltep; 01-26-2009 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: Typo anbd add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 10:16 AM

Going to the game on Saturday and seeing the new BB practice facility finishing out can make us hopeful that a dedication to the program with $$$ will assist in recruiting...but pretty new buildings won't affect much if the team does not win. I'm not an "at all cost" type of guy, but it would be nice to see us compete at tourney time at least. Adams has certainly set the tabnle for the future and is already making them competitive in a major tranistion year. I guess a trip to the dance can do that for your recruiting.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:22 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,138,149 times
I guess the same could be said about Mike Price. He was also "damaged" goods when UTEP hired him.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:10 PM

Default True

Despite the outcome of that incident with Sports illustrated, from Alabama to UTEP is a fall. I will admit, his coming here did bring instant credibility, but he is not attracting PAC-10 talent here..it's not like WSU was in some major metro area (been there, pretty isolated) but he could get players b/c of PAC-10. So, we swim along the perimeter, looking for the magical 6 wins that will get us to some bowl but never getting it.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:00 PM

Like I mentioned previously, even if the Miners improve quite a bit in football, their record might now show it. We have a stacked schedule this season.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:07 PM

In your face Houston. In. Your. Face. The Miners just picked up a crucial win in Houston tonight.

It's all good but there was a lot of back and forth banter between Houston fans and UTEP fans all week long. They already won here this season so we really needed the win. AND WE GOT IT!

Home game on Saturday. See you there!

Old 01-28-2009, 08:23 PM

247 posts, read 605,245 times
Just we we think thats it for this team, they go out and beat a good Houston team. Congrats to Barbee and the rest of the team for their gutsy play tonight. Still lots of basketball to be played.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:16 PM

Stephon DJ Jackson will probably become the highest scoring player in CUSA history during this Saturday's home game. DJ scored his 2000th career point tonight during the Houston game. Only one other player in CUSA history has ever done that. Congrats!

Old 01-29-2009, 12:58 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,607,237 times
talked to a friend who was at the game and he said there were more miner fans than Houston fans I hope we finally turned the corner

Old 01-29-2009, 09:57 PM

202 posts, read 433,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
talked to a friend who was at the game and he said there were more miner fans than Houston fans I hope we finally turned the corner
Little bit too late for that. UTEP has ZERO shot at an NCAA bid, unless by some miracle it wins the CUSA tourney. UTEP is going to the NIT if they get lucky, but probably the CBI again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso