Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2011, 08:30 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,245,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
How on earth did YOU graduate? You don't appear to even know what evolution is.

Have you even bothered to read the many posts with explanations of what a Scientific Theory is? It's an explanation of the demonstrable facts and evidence.

For the umpteenth time, any scientist will tell you:
Evolution is fact.
The Theory of Evolution is an explanation of the fact of evolution.
No, evolution is CONSIDERED A FACT so they can provide other scientific studies, but they will NOT state for a fact, that it IS a fact.

I've read the numerous of babbling postings claiming evolution is a fact, but your claims do not over ride the scientifics communities.

NO ONE educated on the subject will tell you for a FACT, that its a fact, which is why its called a theory. Its a theory which was formed based upon facts. Thats not the same, and the ignorance of people not understanding the difference is utterly astounding.

17,842 posts, read 14,415,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Just because Rick Perry and I happen to be more educated than the average poster here, doesnt make him wrong. Evolution IS a theory, and CAN NOT BE PROVEN. THAT IS A FACT and I challenge you to prove it wrong. I'l wait patiently while those who are "ignorant" (your word) embarass themself over not knowing this FACT.
Oh good grief. Every post you make shows just how uneducated and willfully ignorant you are.

15,706 posts, read 11,804,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
He's right. And no....we don't believe the earth is flat. Believe it or not, we like science.
You would have to understand science to like it, and you don't. You cherry pick whatever scientific beliefs you want to believe. You've seen pictures of a spherical earth, therefore it's easy to accept that science. You've never seen a hominid evolve, therefore it's easy to reject.

The Bible supports a geocentric, flat earth, so it's obvious you're nothing but a cherry picker.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Are we talking about Darwin's theory of evolution? If so, I believe his theory is about evolving species over time, not creating life out of basic elements. I'd say that was a "gap". But even so, his theory takes up a chapter in a book, and that's it.
Creating life out of basic elements is Abiogenesis, not evolution. Two entirely different things. Evolution says nothing about how life got here, only how it diversified once it already existed.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
I never understood why Evolution and Creationism couldn't coincide instead of being opposed to each other.
I'm of the opinion that we did indeed evolve from the sea and then onto the land, as the biologists believe, but that this process was guided by the hand of God, as the Theologians believe.
I think they call this notion "Intelligent Design."

Makes sense to me.
As long as you don't try to claim that Creationism/ID is a scientific Theory, then there is no problem.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:35 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,698,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Actually, it's called Theistic Evolution, not Intelligent Design. Most Christians in the world are Theistic Evolutionists.
The latest phrase is "stuipid design", with an explanation from a renowned scientist:

LiveLeak.com - Intelligent Design is Stupid Design - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Last edited by calmdude; 08-19-2011 at 09:40 AM..

Old 08-19-2011, 08:40 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,698,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Creating life out of basic elements is Abiogenesis, not evolution. Two entirely different things. Evolution says nothing about how life got here, only how it diversified once it already existed.
You should see the Religion forum. People constantly confuse life origins with evolution.

In fact, a smarter way for a religious person would be is to believe god created life but then stood back (as he stands back during floods when sin-free babies are drowing etc) and let the whole chain of evolutionary events play out. One can then still cling to god and facts (science) and cash in the promise of heaven upon death. Win-win.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:40 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,245,822 times
Quote:
Oh good grief. Every post you make shows just how uneducated and willfully ignorant you are.
The scientific community says you are wrong

Is Evolution a Fact? (http://www.genesispark.com/genpark/fact/fact.htm - broken link)

The evidence for the theory of evolution certainly does not qualify it to be called a scientific fact. Indeed, as science has progressed Darwinists have had to retreat completely out of the scientific arena into unfalsifiable positions or resort to contradictory models to deal with special problems. The smorgasbord of competing hypothesis that are left should not even qualify as a scientific theory, much less a fact. Again, ReMine is insightful: "1) Life systematically lacks a pattern of fine-gradations of fossils joining disparate lifeforms together. 2) Life systematically lacks a pattern of clear-cut ancestors and lineages joining disparate lifeforms together. 3) Experimental demonstrations, in the laboratory and in the field, systematically fail to demonstrate a plausible naturalistic origin of our disparate lifeforms. Let me emphasize that these are three separate, independent, failures for evolutionary theory... Any one of these three areas would be sufficient to establish evolution as a fact. Yet the systematic, independent failure of ALL THREE shouts that evolutionary theory is wrong." (From a private correspondence, used with permission, 1999.)

I'm not even a person who believes in creatism and I stand here educating you on why you are wrong anyways

Old 08-19-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
That's why I have him on ignore. He's so freakin self-righteous, and yet hasn't the foggiest clue how ridiculous he sounds.

Part of the problem seems to be, pgh like most here don't understand the meaning of "fact" in science. There is no such thing as absolute certainty.

Evolution is a Fact and a Theory

"Moreover, "fact" doesn't mean "absolute certainty"; there ain't no such animal in an exciting and complex world. The final proofs of logic and mathematics flow deductively from stated premises and achieve certainty only because they are not about the empirical world. Evolutionists make no claim for perpetual truth, though creationists often do (and then attack us falsely for a style of argument that they themselves favor). In science "fact" can only mean "confirmed to such a degree that it would be perverse to withhold provisional consent." I suppose that apples might start to rise tomorrow, but the possibility does not merit equal time in physics classrooms."

It is time for students of the evolutionary process, especially those who have been misquoted and used by the creationists, to state clearly that evolution is a fact, not theory, and that what is at issue within biology are questions of details of the process and the relative importance of different mechanisms of evolution. It is a fact that the earth with liquid water, is more than 3.6 billion years old. It is a fact that cellular life has been around for at least half of that period and that organized multicellular life is at least 800 million years old. It is a fact that major life forms now on earth were not at all represented in the past. There were no birds or mammals 250 million years ago. It is a fact that major life forms of the past are no longer living. There used to be dinosaurs and Pithecanthropus, and there are none now. It is a fact that all living forms come from previous living forms. Therefore, all present forms of life arose from ancestral forms that were different. Birds arose from nonbirds and humans from nonhumans. No person who pretends to any understanding of the natural world can deny these facts any more than she or he can deny that the earth is round, rotates on its axis, and revolves around the sun.

Today, nearly all biologists acknowledge that evolution is a fact. The term theory is no longer appropriate except when referring to the various models that attempt to explain how life evolves... it is important to understand that the current questions about how life evolves in no way implies any disagreement over the fact of evolution.

Gravity is also a theory. I wonder why no one questions that and screams, "IT CAN'T BE PROVEN! Omg you guys are so dumb!"

Old 08-19-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
No, evolution is CONSIDERED A FACT so they can provide other scientific studies, but they will NOT state for a fact, that it IS a fact.

I've read the numerous of babbling postings claiming evolution is a fact, but your claims do not over ride the scientifics communities.

NO ONE educated on the subject will tell you for a FACT, that its a fact, which is why its called a theory. Its a theory which was formed based upon facts. Thats not the same, and the ignorance of people not understanding the difference is utterly astounding.
Now you're starting to change your story just slightly.

At least NOW you admit that the Theory of Evolution "was formed based upon facts". But you are still incorrect when you say that evolution itself is not factual.

Are you starting to realise that you'd got up on your high-horse and got it wrong?

Please educate youself on what the scientific community actually DOES say, instead of making false claims:

To clarify, however, the occurrence of evolution is not itself a theory. That the genetic make-up of biological populations can change over generations and that the diversity of life on Earth today is drastically different than it was during previous periods of geologic history are demonstrably factual.

Evolutionary theory encompasses these and other observable facts, as well as laws (e.g.,the Hardy-Weinberg law), inferences, and a variety of competing and complementary theories regarding how (not whether) evolution occurs. And for at least a century and one half, a parade of scientists has endeavoured to communicate the difference between the fact of evolution itself and the explanatory body of evolutionary theory.

http://www.scienceeducationreview.com/open_access/wiles-evolution.pdf

Last edited by Ceist; 08-19-2011 at 09:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections