Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe that same-sex attractions are similar to alcoholism?
Yes 8 8.70%
No 79 85.87%
Not sure 5 5.43%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 04:48 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Here is a link to the ABC 20/20 report.

New Details Emerge in Matthew Shepard Murder - ABC News

It is lengthy but gives a different view of how the encounter with Shepard and the murder actually came about. The trial prosecuted the crime as a "hate crime" against a gay. The information 20/20 presents is post-trial and is worth reading.
No the trial did not prosecute the crime as a "hate crime". There was no "hate crime" statute in Wyoming at that time.

The 20/20 story relied heavily on the stories (often contradictory) of one of the murderers (McKinney), and his friends, and has been criticized for it's flaws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
No he wasn't, you're spreading a lie. ABC debunked that myth years ago, it was a drug deal and robbery gone bad, plain and simple. Heck, the limo driver said that the punks even pulled " tricks" with Shepherd to score meth. I watched the entire report when it first came out. The murder was horrific and those punks should get the death penalty, but to say he was killed because he was gay is a blatant lie. You were lied to and are now guilty of unwittingly spreading that lie.
It was a television story made for ratings, not a trial.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Irony meter asploded!
Mine too.

Posters can get away with saying the vilest things about groups of people....as long as it is not seen as a "personal attack" on an individual poster.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:22 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
No the trial did not prosecute the crime as a "hate crime". There was no "hate crime" statute in Wyoming at that time.

The 20/20 story relied heavily on the stories (often contradictory) of one of the murderers (McKinney), and his friends, and has been criticized for it's flaws.
I put "hate crime" in quotes to indicate the prosecution's case was centered around the hateful nature of the crime, was it not? Certainly, the press coverage emphasized that.

The ABC 20/20 show showed other factors were also in play but there are people posting on this thread who want to believe this dreadful crime was a "hate crime" against a gay, pure and simple, and that there was no other reason for it.

Last edited by Cunucu Beach; 08-29-2011 at 08:11 AM..

Old 08-29-2011, 07:40 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
I am gay and I can agree, gays do need to "restrain themselves"......but, straights need to learn the same thing. What someone does in their bedroom, living room, kitchen floor, backseat or random staircase or elevator, is NO ONES BUSINESS, and really doesn't need to be advertised.
People know I am gay, it isn't discussed, they just know....some things are obvious without having to ask, at the same time, when I introduce myself, I don't go up to them and say, "Hi my names Jake and I'm gay". Why should ANYONES sexuality be such a big deal. WHO CARES???

Exactly!

No one cares.

Keep your sex life between you and you sex partner(s).

You don't see heterosexuals showing up at kindergartens to promote a radical self-serving agenda.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:59 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Exactly!

No one cares.

Keep your sex life between you and you sex partner(s).

You don't see heterosexuals showing up at kindergartens to promote a radical self-serving agenda.
So it's okay for a gay couple to show up at a kindergarten play or open house so long as they don't play kissy-face in front of the kids? Or are you labeling their just showing up as "promoting a self-serving agenda"? How far do you want gay couples to go to keep their "sex life" between themselves? Be in the closet 24/7 or are they allowed to appear in public together and---gasp---maybe even hold hands like heterosexuals do?

Old 08-29-2011, 11:49 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
People can't....and won't ''get over it''....because moral people know it is WRONG,.....and unacceptable....and civilized people will always stand against homosexual activity.
This moral, civilized person sees nothing 'wrong' with homosexuality or 'homosexual activity'.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Casper, you totally misunderstood my remarks, I didn't mean for gays to "get over it" I meant all this crap about I am gay, I am straight, So and so is gay, so and so is by: that is what I meant. I happen to have a lot of gay friends, many of my clients are gay, my bosses are and my foster daughter is: none of them spend their time constantly on the subject of straight versus gay. They have all matured past that stage in life. I might add, they are all professional and successful in their fields.

Nita
Well, I don't spend all of my time obsessing on the topic either. Thing is, this forum and particularly this thread (and others like it) is for discussing such things. So, of course, you might see the same names in such threads all the time and make the assumption that So&so spends all his or her time doing nothing but discussing sexuality. You'd be wrong, but it would be the natural assumption.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
Telling the truth about the sin of homosexual ways is not hatred. Of course....those who seek to distort and deflect the truth....try to label anyone who speaks out against homosexuality....as a hater. Perhaps, if you meet your Creator, and let HIM reveal His position regarding homosexuality.....you might be able to see clearly...and not spew lies about other people's factual comments....as mine are.

Romans Chapter 1 is God's position regarding homosexual lifestyle. HIS Word leaves no doubt.
Romans, chapter 1 is about idolatry and idolaters using sex in their worship of idols.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Here is a link to the ABC 20/20 report.

New Details Emerge in Matthew Shepard Murder - ABC News

It is lengthy but gives a different view of how the encounter with Shepard and the murder actually came about. The trial prosecuted the crime as a "hate crime" against a gay. The information 20/20 presents is post-trial and is worth reading.
The bolded is impossible because no such law existed until after the fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections