Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 06:39 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,959,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Republicans are beginning to wake up to reality and that reality is that middle America will not vote for an extreme right wing or left wing candidate. Getting the Republican nomination is one thing, winning an election is quite another. By sitting firmly in the center, Romney becomes electable. None of the other potential GOP candidates are electable.
The fact that middle America voted for an extreme left wing candidate in 2008 pretty much destroys your post. Try again some time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 11:48 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,207,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Ya'll need to get on board. Romney is the only one who can win against Obama. Perry has as much chance as Palin. None.
Any of the candidates cited would win against the failed Obama presidency. Of the many possibilities, I prefer Ron Paul.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:03 AM

865 posts, read 676,423 times
Romney will lose to Obama. Paul supporters will split the deciding vote by writing him in the general, as well as the small pack of other 3rd party candidates that will pull votes from both sides, but mainly away from Mitt.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:26 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,207,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInAmerica View Post
Romney will lose to Obama. Paul supporters will split the deciding vote by writing him in the general, as well as the small pack of other 3rd party candidates that will pull votes from both sides, but mainly away from Mitt.
Paul will not run as a third party candidate.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:24 AM

865 posts, read 676,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Paul will not run as a third party candidate.
It doesn't matter.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInAmerica View Post
It doesn't matter.
you do realize in many states there is no place for a write in candidate don't you?

Nita

Old 10-03-2011, 08:14 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,208,953 times
I think Romney will probably be the nominee. Personally, I think Romney is the John Kerry of the R party, and we all know how that turned out. He's not going to fire up the far right end of the R base to vote. If he wins the nomination, and Obama goes back to his old fire in the belly campaign style that's been missing throughout his actual presidency, I think Obama will take him down.

EDIT--even if D's are upset with Obama for not being "liberal" enough, my bet is that the D's will grab on to the "corporations are people too" Romney line and run that against him with all they've got--I'm betting on mass D voter turnout.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I think Romney will probably be the nominee. Personally, I think Romney is the John Kerry of the R party, and we all know how that turned out. He's not going to fire up the far right end of the R base to vote. If he wins the nomination, and Obama goes back to his old fire in the belly campaign style that's been missing throughout his actual presidency, I think Obama will take him down.

EDIT--even if D's are upset with Obama for not being "liberal" enough, my bet is that the D's will grab on to the "corporations are people too" Romney line and run that against him with all they've got--I'm betting on mass D voter turnout.
and I would disagree with you 110% so would many, including those insiders. The turnout for the Democrats this time around will be nothing like 2008. Will Romney be nominated? It is too soon to tell and will he win, if he is, that depends on the independents and the Republicans, but I really don't understand why you think the Democrats will turn out in mass numbers?

NIta

Old 10-03-2011, 10:06 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,389,799 times
Romney/Cain

The campaign theme could be "Amerca is open for business!"

Old 10-03-2011, 11:54 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,208,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and I would disagree with you 110% so would many, including those insiders. The turnout for the Democrats this time around will be nothing like 2008. Will Romney be nominated? It is too soon to tell and will he win, if he is, that depends on the independents and the Republicans, but I really don't understand why you think the Democrats will turn out in mass numbers?

NIta
I think this wall street protest is going to take off bigger than you think. If the election was today, you're right--the D base wouldn't turn out and Obama would lose by a landslide. The problem is that a year is a lifetime in politics. You forget--the D base is ticked at Obama for being too conservative, and for catering to corporations. If he starts moving left toward his base, if he goes back into campaign mode, and if he's able to tap into the growing youth movement, I think you could see a very different outcome a year from now--especially if the R's run someone who's either far right or a corporate guy like Romney.

Plus--I don't see the Ron Paul or Bachmann camps exactly inspired to work their backsides off on a Romney campaign...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections