Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 10:24 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
Yea like he hasn't made his money before or after
IIRC, Paul is worth between $2-3 million. He made his money through his medical practice and likely some investments in honest currency.

Did you know that Paul opted out of his federal pension? He will not be collecting a dime after he leaves office. He may not be using the federal health plan either.

Why does it bother you to acknowledge such a truly honest man?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 11:36 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,316,466 times
I felt bad when I had to let an employee go. I explained the situation and apologized for having to let her go...When I have to "say no" to people I "feel" for them and their situation and say so...I don't want to become heartless and callous. There are times when I have to make decisions that affect other people but I don't want to be ruthless about any of it...I don't think everyone will go for shutting down all of the government departments. It's too drastic a move right now. Some people are true conservatives and they are slow to agree to major changes. Liberals are the ones who are supposedly open-minded to changes. And conservatives are usually more traditional and resist big changes..."Tea Party people" may be ok with shutting down all the depts. But others may view it as too radical.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:36 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
I just caught Wolf Blitzer's brief interview with Ron Paul on CNN. (About the proposed cuts.) Ron Paul was "matter of fact" about the 200,000 (plus) employees who would lose their "department" jobs. He said they weren't very productive anyway. (Or something like this.)...Wolf Blitzer pointed out that the government employees might consider their jobs "productive" and Ron Paul just laughed and "swept it all under the table" as "nothing."....Where are Ron Paul's plans and provisions for the employees who would lose their jobs? (I'm sure most of them have families to support just like the rest of us do!) Where is his caring and concern about them? I guess he just considers them "casualities" and "nothings" who don't matter in the scheme of things. Yet his plan will put more Americans out of work at a time when decent paying jobs are hard to find. How come he didn't mention his plans and provisions for these employees?....I am fed up with Ron Paul's self centeredness and insensitivity and callousness. He is not the kind of person I want as president at all....If politicians want to talk about "cuts" they should "spell things out." Who will lose their jobs from the "cuts?" And what plans and provisions do they have for the employees they want to "fire" and "put out to pasture?" (At a time when the unemployment rate is already sky high.) The laid-off employees won't have very much (or any) disposable income to spend on products or services anymore and this will hurt our sagging economy even more...And what services will be "cut" and who will be affected? There are consequences to everything! Some ideas sound good on paper or during a speech but they may "boomerang" and "backfire" if they are put into "play."

Who the hell declared it an individual right to have a job? Employment is not guaranteed. Definitely not when the company you work for is broke and bankrupt. No matter how corrupt your company is.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Who the hell declared it an individual right to have a job? Employment is not guaranteed. Definitely not when the company you work for is broke and bankrupt. No matter how corrupt your company is.
We all have to work whether we like it or not! (Or we have to earn an income some other way.) Prices keep going up and up and wages are stagnant or even reduced...In the past it was easy for individuals to start their own stores or businesses in their communities. Most people made a good living. (Enough to send their kids to college and buy a home etc.) But this is not the case anymore. Corporations pretty much "own" and control our cities with all of their "chain outlets." Mayors and council members make "deals" with corporations and offer them "freebies" and tax breaks so they will open "big box" stores in their cities...Small business owners don't get these kinds of "breaks." Most people have to go to work for corporations or take various level government jobs because it's not easy to "stay in business" as a small business anymore. But things were totally different back when I was growing up. And I've owned businesses of my own in the past. (Before the "corporate monopoly" grew larger and larger and took over most everything.)

Old 10-18-2011, 12:22 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
I felt bad when I had to let an employee go.

But they had to go as with others, or the company dies a slow death.

I see a nation doing the death kick.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
But they had to go as with others, or the company dies a slow death.

I see a nation doing the death kick.
I helped my employee find another job. I didn't just "kick her to the curb." She had been loyal to me and my husband and our business and I wanted to return her caring and loyalty...Our country is in a "bad place" today because a lot of people have become bitter and cynical and greedy and self centered...Everyone is ready to stab someone else in the back for their own supposed "gain." It's a "dog eat dog" climate today and it makes me sick!

Old 10-18-2011, 04:02 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,569,508 times
Quote:
I helped my employee find another job. I didn't just "kick her to the curb." She had been loyal to me and my husband and our business and I wanted to return her caring and loyalty...Our country is in a "bad place" today because a lot of people have become bitter and cynical and greedy and self centered...Everyone is ready to stab someone else in the back for their own supposed "gain." It's a "dog eat dog" climate today and it makes me sick!
No one here will fault you for your compassion. But when you are being compassionate with someone else's money, that someone else has a say as well. But count me with the rest of these heartless libertarians in this case Kinda difficult for me to have compassion on a guy that makes six figures pushing elevator buttons in the Capitol building.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:57 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
(Send memo to Ron Paul.....next time you mention cutting govmn't, look sad and compassionate for those that might lose their jobs. That will make people like CArizona feel better)
When there is a body with a growing cancer surgery is gonna HURT.
Not doing something that needs to be done is gonna KILL.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
(Send memo to Ron Paul.....next time you mention cutting govmn't, look sad and compassionate for those that might lose their jobs. That will make people like CArizona feel better)
When there is a body with a growing cancer surgery is gonna HURT.
Not doing something that needs to be done is gonna KILL.
I know a thing or two about cancer. My husband died of pancreatic cancer last year. And my son is "battling" a fast-growing brain tumor right now...From my perspective the "cancer" we have in our country today stems from all of the hate and blame and finger-pointing that is taking place...And all of the silly."games" and "mind trips" and brainwashing! (On both sides!)...Politicians have split us apart and turned us against each other. A "divided country" isn't going to make wise decisions. We stumble around like the "three blind mice" going after each other with butcher knives. And this isn't being "smart" at all.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:04 AM

272 posts, read 208,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
This is the only Republican candidate I'm aware of which list concrete cuts to the spending side, and I'm all for the cuts he proposes. Just about everyone else only talks specifics about the tax side.

More importantly, Paul is the only candidate I believe will actually do what he says when he gets into office. Lately, there has been a LOT of politicians who say everything during an election, but turn around 180 deg. when they get into office. Paul at least acts on what he has said while in Congress.
I agree. even if he might take a bullet for it. we need somebody to stand up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections