Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 04:48 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,318,958 times

Advertisements

I just caught Wolf Blitzer's brief interview with Ron Paul on CNN. (About the proposed cuts.) Ron Paul was "matter of fact" about the 200,000 (plus) employees who would lose their "department" jobs. He said they weren't very productive anyway. (Or something like this.)...Wolf Blitzer pointed out that the government employees might consider their jobs "productive" and Ron Paul just laughed and "swept it all under the table" as "nothing."....Where are Ron Paul's plans and provisions for the employees who would lose their jobs? (I'm sure most of them have families to support just like the rest of us do!) Where is his caring and concern about them? I guess he just considers them "casualities" and "nothings" who don't matter in the scheme of things. Yet his plan will put more Americans out of work at a time when decent paying jobs are hard to find. How come he didn't mention his plans and provisions for these employees?....I am fed up with Ron Paul's self centeredness and insensitivity and callousness. He is not the kind of person I want as president at all....If politicians want to talk about "cuts" they should "spell things out." Who will lose their jobs from the "cuts?" And what plans and provisions do they have for the employees they want to "fire" and "put out to pasture?" (At a time when the unemployment rate is already sky high.) The laid-off employees won't have very much (or any) disposable income to spend on products or services anymore and this will hurt our sagging economy even more...And what services will be "cut" and who will be affected? There are consequences to everything! Some ideas sound good on paper or during a speech but they may "boomerang" and "backfire" if they are put into "play."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 05:31 PM

49 posts, read 42,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
I just caught Wolf Blitzer's brief interview with Ron Paul on CNN. (About the proposed cuts.) Ron Paul was "matter of fact" about the 200,000 (plus) employees who would lose their "department" jobs. He said they weren't very productive anyway. (Or something like this.)...Wolf Blitzer pointed out that the government employees might consider their jobs "productive" and Ron Paul just laughed and "swept it all under the table" as "nothing."....Where are Ron Paul's plans and provisions for the employees who would lose their jobs? (I'm sure most of them have families to support just like the rest of us do!) Where is his caring and concern about them? I guess he just considers them "casualities" and "nothings" who don't matter in the scheme of things. Yet his plan will put more Americans out of work at a time when decent paying jobs are hard to find. How come he didn't mention his plans and provisions for these employees?....I am fed up with Ron Paul's self centeredness and insensitivity and callousness. He is not the kind of person I want as president at all....If politicians want to talk about "cuts" they should "spell things out." Who will lose their jobs from the "cuts?" And what plans and provisions do they have for the employees they want to "fire" and "put out to pasture?" (At a time when the unemployment rate is already sky high.) The laid-off employees won't have very much (or any) disposable income to spend on products or services anymore and this will hurt our sagging economy even more...And what services will be "cut" and who will be affected? There are consequences to everything! Some ideas sound good on paper or during a speech but they may "boomerang" and "backfire" if they are put into "play."
This boils down to what causes unemployment in the first place....
just like how sometimes a company must downsize for the best interest of the company, so too must the government down size for the best interest of the government.
of course its sad that someone has to loose their job, but its inevitable. Paul is being frank about it, yes, some government employees will loose their job. What will happen to them? The same thing that happens to a private sector employee who looses their job. They will become unemployed and seek new employment. That could mean perhaps working for state / local governments, or altering their skill sets for the private market.
The market will best dictate where their skills are needed.
Whats the other option? paying them salaries out of compassion? because they have families?
We Americans are a tough people, and I am sure that these people will deal with setbacks, economic difficulties, and unemployment just like the rest of America has for the past few years. They will pick themselves up and find a new, perhaps even better job.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:26 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,318,958 times
Yes corporations "downsize" all the time or move more plants over to 3rd world countries etc. We are "putty" in the hands of corporations. I grew up in an era where average Americans could open stores and restaurants and other businesses in their hometowns and did well...Then corporations took over and they opened their chain outlets in cities across the nation and dominated the landscape...They squeezed "mom and pop" businesses "out of the water." But this is a different "story!"...Unless Ron Paul starts developing a little more empathy and compassion I will never consider voting for him. It's too easy for him to compartmentalize. If he would have shown one drop of consideration for the employees he wants to "fire" I might have viewed him in a little better light. He had absolutely no caring or concern for the FAA employees who were working without pay a few months back. He's changed. He didn't seem callous like this back in 2008 when I actually considered voting for him.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:33 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Thanks for posting the details (sort of) I now know I will NOT be voting for Paul. FYI, I notice many of the things Paul suggests are he same old GOP issues and ideas, the details show he is no way any different from the rest of the field. Oh except for the silly salary thing, the salary really isn't his call and I expect the most powerful person in the country to be paid an executive level salary. Oh well, good thing to put all that info out there, that way more people such as myself can look at his ideas and either embrace or reject them, I reject far too many of his ideas to be able to support or want him in the Whitehouse.
You obviously didn't pay attention so why comment? I haven't found more than a couple republicans or democrats that believe in big government cuts. Out of control military spending is ignored by most candidates just as you ignored the details of Ron Pauls policies.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:48 PM

49 posts, read 42,316 times
Quote:
Yes corporations "downsize" all the time or move more plants over to 3rd world countries etc. We are "putty" in the hands of corporations. I grew up in an era where average Americans could open stores and restaurants and other businesses in their hometowns and did well...Then corporations took over and they opened their chain outlets in cities across the nation and dominated the landscape...They squeezed "mom and pop" businesses "out of the water." But this is a different "story!"...Unless Ron Paul starts developing a little more empathy and compassion I will never consider voting for him. It's too easy for him to compartmentalize. If he would have shown one drop of consideration for the employees he wants to "fire" I might have viewed him in a little better light. He had absolutely no caring or concern for the FAA employees who were working without pay a few months back. He's changed. He didn't seem callous like this back in 2008 when I actually considered voting for him.
Well I guess crying Hillary Clinton would be the better candidate for you.
I'm sorry but your raising mute points. How has Ron Paul caused mom and pop shops to close?
I understand that any job reductions are unfortunate, but if you think for a minute we can continue spending this amount of money and maintain this size of government you are kidding yourself! And the only way to reduce its size is to downsize employees, there's no way around that. Ron is a vary compassionate man, and I'm sure once it actually comes to this, he will handle the situation with utmost sincerity and care.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:52 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
Who pays for those inefficient government jobs? No one should have the right to a job using my money.
We the people won't be giving our hard earned money away to worthless government but instead will spend it on the efficient private sector. You do know they hire people don't you?
Quit relying on government, they were the ones who got us into this horrible economic mess.
When government spending was cut by 40 percent over two years time in the early twenties unemployment went from 12 percent to under 4 percent. So quit asking where would the jobs come from. The proof is in the private sector pudding.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:07 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,462,675 times
Quote:
If you heard the press conference he said that it won't be that a lot of people will be losing their jobs. It is just that those who will be retiring, won't be replaced.

In fact Ron Paul's plan is good enough that neo-con Rush Limbaugh even said today HE thought it was a "GOOD IDEA"! Listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0WhNKhU75Y

Old 10-17-2011, 07:22 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,177,644 times
I bet no paper will be mentioning this. If it is mention it is in a small column buried in the middle of nowhere.

On the other, if Romney broke his toe nail, it will be on the front page.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:26 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,462,675 times
If anyone wants to hear what was said during the Wolf Blitzer interview. Here it is:

Ron Paul interview on CNN The Situation Room w/ Wolf Blitzer 10/17/2011 - YouTube

Old 10-17-2011, 07:33 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,054,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
The man leads by example. Cutting the president's pay to just under 40K. None of the pretenders can even begin to come close to what this man knows about economics, liberty, and the Constitution.

Yea like he hasn't made his money before or after
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections