Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2011, 02:51 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,831,483 times

Advertisements

Like every candidates supporters I think that we are a diverse group and each of us has our own reasons for supporting Dr Paul. I think we are the most electrified of any campaigns and are a truly grassroots organization. I mean we’re willing to fund blimps and put up enormous signs and show up for every event in numbers. We have fun but do so while we know how serious it is to elect a person who can change the trajectory of our federal government and how much of a funk our country has been in from the same big government politics that have controlled both parties for several decades.

If you follow this forum you know that posters who follow every candidate and support their party regardless of the nominee are abundant. Why are Paul supporters singled out? I’ve seen some crazy excuses from Obama supporters about his failure to follow through on campaign promises. As I’ve seen Romney supporters trying to act as he hasn’t changed his views for political gain. I’ve sent private messages to people on here who post negative threads about other candidates in favor of Paul since I would rather focus on issues and not name calling and other such nonsense.

Unlike every other candidate in the GOP field Ron Paul has a base that is knowledgeable, consistent, and enjoys discussions on the issues that are affecting each and every one of us. I don’t support Paul because of his positions on drugs; I support him because of his positions on freedom and liberty. I support ending our warmongering foreign policy. I support a sound monetary policy. I support a limited role in the federal government in my everyday life. I support accepting the fact that people are and should be held responsible for their actions and should have to take responsibility for themselves, their dependants, and their business practices. Our Constitution was the most radical document written in government since the Magna Carta and maybe I’m just a radical for wanting to support what it stands for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 05:19 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,769,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
What is nutty is embracing the belief that more of the same (which is working none too well) is a solution to our problems. Your ideology is little different from that of liberals that claim the same policies that have proven themselves as failures time and again will somehow work if only the candidate they support is elected.

Your objections are not based in reality.
Of course there is nothing nutty about wanting change, I certainly do. The nuttiness is manifested by the virulent belief that Paul is the only guy who can deliver it. You see it by the wacky responses to my posts. Including folks who can't take the time to Google gold standard to see it obvious problems. Heck there is even one poster who doesn't understand that there isn't enough gold to even go on a gold standard. There is another poster who thinks the value of gold swings because of the swings in fiat currency. This poster clearly doesn't understand the history of the gold standard. Despite there lack of basic understanding of the ramifications of what Paul wants, they are in wild eyed, manic defense of him.

My first response in this thread noted the unhinged devotion to Paul and each response, with few exceptions has proven me right.

It reminds me of the response of Scientologists to criticism of L Ron Hubbard. The Paul people are equally cultish.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:47 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,968,080 times
They come acrossed as brainwashed to me. Shorebaby said it better than I could when she said "unhinged devotion." Shades of Jonestown.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:16 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,589,026 times
Lightbulb how do ron paul people come off to you?

1. Showing signs of developing awareness.

2. Well intentioned.

3. Frustrated.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:22 AM

6,406 posts, read 8,998,042 times
I am a registered Libertarian. I'm a huge Ron Paul and Gary Johnson fan. Ron Paul is doing great by getting the message of common sense out. Gary Johnson, I think, is doing the go around to be the Ron Paul of the '16 election cycle.

To answer the op's question, I think highly of Ron Paul people because I am one.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:43 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,208,577 times
There are definitely some attributes that I associate with Ron Paul supporters, of course they don't apply to all of them but on a large scale you'll encounter similar behaviors. I don't consider them all negative, some would definitely be complimentary.

- Enthusiastic. The lengths his supporters wil go to support their candidate generally surpasses others, from private donations to the vocal support at live events to giant signs and spending time to cold call. Other candidates have supporters who will do these things but it is much smaller percentage among them.

- For the good of the country. Whether I agree with them or not I'm fairly sure most of them are supporting Paul holding the belief that his policies will improve the country they live in, I certainly don't doubt the patriotism as a motivation behind their support.

- Conspiracy. A belief in conspiracy theories is very common among Ron Paul supporters, be it directrly related to him with media conspiracy or vote counting conspiracy to just general truther/birther/vaccines/smartgrid/fema/etc. for some reason tin hatters tend to be drawn to him. This relates to another common theme the strong sense of victimization and constant threads/posts about how unfair things are to Paul.

- Cult of personality. Get this sense sometimes, stuff like getting all excited about a new Ron Paul music video they found on youtube just strikes me as weird. Seeing them accuse posters on message boards of being shills paid to undermine Ron Paul is weird. Seeing people who believe he is our only chance and other "savior" type rants is weird to me.

- With or us against us. His supporters often hold a black & white belief where others who don't support their candidate obviously don't believe in liberty and need to wake up, or as labeled as part of the dumb brainwashed masses. They are often incapable of imagining that people supporting other candidates can be intelligent well informed citizens that happen to have different opinions on which policies are most effective for the good of the country.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:57 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,769,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
There are definitely some attributes that I associate with Ron Paul supporters, of course they don't apply to all of them but on a large scale you'll encounter similar behaviors. I don't consider them all negative, some would definitely be complimentary.

- Enthusiastic. The lengths his supporters wil go to support their candidate generally surpasses others, from private donations to the vocal support at live events to giant signs and spending time to cold call. Other candidates have supporters who will do these things but it is much smaller percentage among them.

- For the good of the country. Whether I agree with them or not I'm fairly sure most of them are supporting Paul holding the belief that his policies will improve the country they live in, I certainly don't doubt the patriotism as a motivation behind their support.

- Conspiracy. A belief in conspiracy theories is very common among Ron Paul supporters, be it directrly related to him with media conspiracy or vote counting conspiracy to just general truther/birther/vaccines/smartgrid/fema/etc. for some reason tin hatters tend to be drawn to him. This relates to another common theme the strong sense of victimization and constant threads/posts about how unfair things are to Paul.

- Cult of personality. Get this sense sometimes, stuff like getting all excited about a new Ron Paul music video they found on youtube just strikes me as weird. Seeing them accuse posters on message boards of being shills paid to undermine Ron Paul is weird. Seeing people who believe he is our only chance and other "savior" type rants is weird to me.

- With or us against us. His supporters often hold a black & white belief where others who don't support their candidate obviously don't believe in liberty and need to wake up, or as labeled as part of the dumb brainwashed masses. They are often incapable of imagining that people supporting other candidates can be intelligent well informed citizens that happen to have different opinions on which policies are most effective for the good of the country.

I whole heartedly agree with this analysis.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:50 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,576,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I am a registered Libertarian. I'm a huge Ron Paul and Gary Johnson fan. Ron Paul is doing great by getting the message of common sense out. Gary Johnson, I think, is doing the go around to be the Ron Paul of the '16 election cycle.

To answer the op's question, I think highly of Ron Paul people because I am one.
The most informed people are the Ron Paul folks. I was up to 2am watching the Thanksgiving debate, all about social issues, family, faith. I came away from that with the view that Ron Paul was the most moderate, oddly enough, the rest have no problem imposing their values upon the people thru gov't. Santorum and Bachmann especially. Cain said he would just overturn the Supreme Court if they didn't rule the right way on abortion.
Ron Paul simply says let people assume responsibility for their own mistakes, and face the consequences of failure. That's reasonable, that's common sense, that's working toward the common good. Govern thyself.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:13 PM

30,285 posts, read 23,777,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
They come acrossed as brainwashed to me. Shorebaby said it better than I could when she said "unhinged devotion." Shades of Jonestown.
Unhinged devotion.

Hardly.

I did not support Paul back in 2007-2008 for the exact same reasons I see some of you not supporting him and YES, that included because of his "lunatic" supporters.

But then, one day, something miraculous happened. I put my emotions to the side. I really looked at what Paul was saying. I listened even when I thought I did not agree.

"He wants to legalize drugs! NO! WAY!" That was my stance. And then I listened to what he ACTUALLY said.

"He's an isolationist! He's going to kill us all with his foreign policy!" That was my stance. And then I listened to what he ACTUALLY said.

"He's against Israel! He thinks we deserved 9/11!" That was my stance. And then I listened to what he ACTUALLY said.

I also am starting to understand why his supporters are so "gung ho". Why they are so energized, why they are so willing to be out in public and talking about him.

Because once you put your emotions aside, take your head out of the sand, take your fingers out of your ears and stop listening to the ridiculous and crazy media, you start to realize, Ron Paul is, consistently, saying what people on the Left AND Right have been asking for. For years!

I am in no way, "unhinged" with "devotion". I just realize that yes, he really is the one who will bring us back to where we should be.

How many of the others have said, "I agree with Ron Paul" and they take things that Paul said and adopt it as their own? Pay close attention, they do it a LOT. Not just one, not just one time. They do it a LOT.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:36 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,986,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Of course there is nothing nutty about wanting change, I certainly do. The nuttiness is manifested by the virulent belief that Paul is the only guy who can deliver it. You see it by the wacky responses to my posts. Including folks who can't take the time to Google gold standard to see it obvious problems. Heck there is even one poster who doesn't understand that there isn't enough gold to even go on a gold standard. There is another poster who thinks the value of gold swings because of the swings in fiat currency. This poster clearly doesn't understand the history of the gold standard. Despite there lack of basic understanding of the ramifications of what Paul wants, they are in wild eyed, manic defense of him.

My first response in this thread noted the unhinged devotion to Paul and each response, with few exceptions has proven me right.

It reminds me of the response of Scientologists to criticism of L Ron Hubbard. The Paul people are equally cultish.
That's simply not true. If we went on a "Gold" standard (which obviously would include silver and perhaps copper as well) prices would fall because there would be no more inflation of the currency and hopefully the government would stop manipulating the market. To say "there's not enough gold" is partially true, we couldn't endlessly expand the government the way we do now, and we'd probably have to massively downsize the government, but that's a good thing, not a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections