Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 06:49 AM

740 posts, read 1,974,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
As a black man, i'm going to give you white folks (especially you republicans) some free advice. If you don't like the race card, here is an easy solution to fight it, quit giving us a reason to use it.

Gingrich to black people: paychecks, not food aid - Yahoo! News

Newt Gingrich Coded Racism | LA Progressive

Ron Paul signed off on racist 1990s newsletters, associates say - The Washington Post

Santorum Singles Out Black People as Dependent on Government - Yahoo! News

Now I know you guys will come on here and try to defend each one of these articles and justify what these candidates said was true or not that bad, but as long as candidates try talk about blacks in these situations, democrats will use the race card. You can talk all you want about democrats and their so called "plantation", but its republicans who get the race card allegations thrown at them all the time. If you don't have anything nice to say about blacks, don't talk about us, or you will get the race card.
It sure seems like 90% of your posts are about racism. YOU are the racist, seeing as you continually bring it up for no reason. That is all you talk about. I have a lot of black and Mexican friends and the majority of those people are happy and successful. Why can't you be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 08:06 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That said, folks should be careful that they don't make unfair accusations against people for just speaking the truth about someone or some situation. In that case, you just look like a fool and a whiner.
Maybe you should tell that sort of stuff to your boy who started this thread, he seems to be fine with making false race based accusations for political gain.

Quote:
If you guys don't like the race card being used, here is an idea, don't give us a reason to you use it. It is always in our back pocket and we are not afraid to use it. As long as it helps democrats get elected into office, it always be used no matter how baseless the claim may be.
have conservative found a way to get away with racism and bigotry by all using all this' card' talk?

Old 02-25-2012, 08:49 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times
Terrific fodder for Black History Month. Love the balance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
As a 'black' man who is actually the Good Looking Mulatto (Obama being the other one ), I always like to 'balance' out the free advice given by the 'other' black man!

So-o-o .. You Democrats, especially you 'black' ones .. pay attention!
(I WILL be passing out grades at the end of the course)

A little historical quiz:

Question #1. During whose administration did the signature of an African-American first appear on U.S. currency? During that of a Republican or a Democrat President?

Question #2. Was the first African-American diplomat appointed by a Republican or a Democrat President?

Question #3. Was the first African-American popularly elected U.S. Senator a Republican or a Democrat?

Question #4. During the late 1950’s, William Monroe “Willie” Rainach, Sr., a Louisiana state legislator, led the “Massive Resistance” to desegregation in his state. Was Willie a Republican, or a Democrat?

Question #5. In 1957, nine African-American students attempted to enroll in Little Rock’s Central High School. When they were barred entry by Arkansas Governor Orval Faubus, the President of the United States ordered federal troops to the school to assure their access to an education. Was Faubus a Republican, or a Democrat? Was that President a Republican or a Democrat?

Question #6. In September 1962, U.S. Air Force veteran James H. Meredith enrolled as the first African-American student at the University of Mississippi. Governor Ross Barnett strongly opposed his entry into the school. Was Barnett a Democrat or a Republican?

Question #7. In 1965, the nation’s eyes were focused on the Selma Voting Rights Movement and three Selma-to-Montgomery marches. Marchers were opposed by the White Citizens’ Council and the Ku Klux Klan. On “Bloody Sunday,” March 7, 1965, about 600 civil rights marchers left Selma and walked east. At the Edmund Pettus Bridge they were confronted and attacked by state troopers and sheriff’s deputies. During this time, Theophilus Eugene “Bull” Connor, Alabama Public Safety Commissioner, became infamous for his brutal tactics against Civil Rights activists. Was “Bull” a Republican or a Democrat?

Question #8. A sitting U.S. Senator once held the position of Exalted Cyclops in the Klu Klux Klan. Although he never served in the Armed Forces, he once wrote, “I shall never fight in the armed forces with a Negro by my side.” Of which party is he a member? Republican or Democrat?

Question #9: In the U.S. Senate’s passage of the landmark Civil Rights Act of 1964, which political party had the highest percentage of its Senators vote for the Act? Republicans or Democrats?

Question #10. Was the first female African-American Cabinet member appointed by a Republican or a Democrat President? (Trick question.)

Question #11. When you compare the makeup of the Cabinet members who served under Democrat President Jimmy Carter with the Cabinet members appointed by Republican President George W. Bush, which President appointed the highest percentage of African-Americans to his Cabinet?

Question #12. Was the first African-American popularly elected Governor a Republican, or a Democrat?

Question #13. When was the race barrier broken with regard to the position of Secretary of State of the United States? Under a Republican or Democratic administration?

Question #14. When was the race barrier broken with regard to the position of Chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff of the United States Armed Forces? During a Republican or Democrat President’s administration?

Question #15. When the first African-American member of the U.S. Armed Forces engaged in action for which he was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor, was the President at the time a Democrat or a Republican?

The answers follow. Grade your own papers..

Answer #1. In 1881, Republican President James A. Garfield appointed Blanche Bruce as Register of the Treasurer, making him the first African-American whose signature appeared on U.S. paper currency. In 1880, at the Republican National Convention in Chicago, when he received 8 votes for nomination as the party’s vice presidential candidate, Bruce became the first African-American to win any votes at a major party’s nominating convention.

Answer #2. In 1869, Republican President U.S. Grant appointed Ebenezer D. Bassett (1833–1908) as the first African- American ambassador representing the United States. He was Ambassador to Haiti.

Answer #3. In 1966, Edward Brooke was the first African-American elected by popular vote to the U.S. Senate. He was a Republican Senator from Massachusetts.

Answer #4. “Willie” Rainach was a Democrat.

Answer #5. Orval Faubus was a Democrat. President Dwight D. Eisenhower was a Republican.

Answer #6. Ross Barnett was a Democrat.

Answer #7. “Bull” Connor was a Democrat.

Answer #8. Robert Byrd, Democrat Senator from West Virginia, is the longest serving Senator in U.S. history. Once upon a time he wore the white sheet and hood, but has since repented.

Answer #9. 82% of the Republican Senators voted for the Civil Rights Act of 1964, while 69% of the Democrat Senators voted “Yes.”

Answer #10. Patricia Roberts Harris, Secretary of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and then Secretary of Education, was appointed to Democrat President Carter’s Cabinet.

Answer #11. Just 1 of the 21 persons Carter chose for his Cabinet, Patricia Harris, was an African-American, or 4.7% of his appointees. Of the 33 persons appointed by Bush to his Cabinet, 4 were African-Americans, or 12.1%. Bush’s cabinet also included several other persons of color.

Answer #12. Democrat Lawrence Douglas Wilder was the first African-American popularly elected as governor of a U.S. state. Wilder served as the 66th Governor of Virginia from 1990 to 1994. (Fair is fair.)

Answer #13. During the Republican administration of George W. Bush, Colin Powell became the first African-American Secretary of State. He was followed by Dr. Condoleezza Rice, also appointed by Bush, who was the first female African-American Secretary of State.

Answer #14. Republican President George H. W. Bush appointed General Colin Powell as Chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in 1991. Earlier, Republican President Ronald Reagan appointed Powell as his National Security Advisor.

Answer #15. Sergeant William Harvey Carney (1840-1908) of the 54th Massachusetts Colored Infantry received the Medal of Honor for his actions during the Civil War Battle of Fort Wagner on July 18, 1863. The action of the 54th that day was depicted in the movie Glory. The citation for his medal read,

When the color sergeant was shot down, this soldier grasped the flag, led the way to the parapet, and planted the colors thereon. When the troops fell back he brought off the flag, under a fierce fire in which he was twice severely wounded.

The President was a Republican named Abraham Lincoln.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:57 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,073,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Adventurer View Post
It sure seems like 90% of your posts are about racism. YOU are the racist, seeing as you continually bring it up for no reason. That is all you talk about. I have a lot of black and Mexican friends and the majority of those people are happy and successful. Why can't you be?
I'm happy and successful also. It doesn't mean I can't bring it up. The problem is white people want to avoid the topic and just assumes it will go away if we don't address it.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:04 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times
Quote:
I'm happy and successful also. It doesn't mean I can't bring it up. The problem is white people want to avoid the topic and just assumes it will go away if we don't address it.
The real problem is you don't ever actually address anything related to the topic of your false claims of racism, you just blame white people for your problems/shortcomings.

You're just upset because your false claims of racism are losing their effect more and more every day. Well educated, common sense people like myself laugh at your false and outrageous claims of racism.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:12 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,933,885 times
Quote:
What's disturbing is you probably actually believe this despite evidence to the contrary.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:13 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Translation, don't act like a racist and you will not be called a racist.

Racists seem to think that using words like "race card" will get them a free pass and stop any criticism.

Racists have every right to voice their racist ideas, and people have every right to call them racists.
Racist seem to think anything goes and as long as they don't say the "N" word they can claim they're not racists.

It is real simple...

if you go thru life looking at everyrhing in term of black and white, you might be a racist.

if you need to blame every social ill on a minority you might be a racist.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
The real problem is you don't ever actually address anything related to the topic of your false claims of racism, you just blame white people for your problems/shortcomings.

You're just upset because your false claims of racism are losing their effect more and more every day. Well educated, common sense people like myself laugh at your false and outrageous claims of racism.
I have no reason to be upset about anything. I happened to be on another thread and somebody was complaining about the race card. I decided to make a thread and explain to republicans, if you don't want to worry about the race card being thrown around, quit giving us a reason to use it. Now you can come on here and say that the race card is irrelevant or that nobody cares about my comments about racism, but the simple fact is, you took to the time to come on this thread and tell me that my claims are false and not effective. I disagree becaue you and I have gone back and forth in different threads for the past couple of months on the topic of racism. You know how I feel the topic of racism. If my claims are so outrageous, why did you feel the need to come into this thread, why didn't you just ignore it?

Old 02-25-2012, 09:16 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Mr. Close is pretty close to right about the declining effectiveness of the race card. I wouldn't say that the era is over, but the tide is slowly turning. As evidence, look at the 2008 presidential campaign. Pres. Obama rarely resorted to using the race card, and when he did it got him into trouble even with the liberal, in-the-tank media:
Obama Concedes Racial Dimension to ‘Dollar Bill’ Comments; Says McCain Campaign Not Racist, But Cynical - ABC News

Or there is the example when he impulsively played the race card in defense of his friend Prof. Gates against the police. Again he paid a big PR price and had to shuck & jive (as Jay Carney might put it) his way out of the mess.

Pres. Obama to his credit is smart enough to realize the problems the tactic creates, and generally tries to steer clear. During the 2008 primaries he had to pull back his own campaign from using the tactic against Hillary. Unfortunately, few on the left are as smart as Obama, so the tactic will continue to be trotted out, but for the most part it just doesn't work any more.
There is declining effectiveness of race card use perhaps when the accusations are false. Hopefully, that's the case.

But if the accusations are true, it's going to be VERY EFFECTIVE if it comes from me. And anyone else that has true situations where it's happening should make damn sure that it's effective too, or they shouldn't use it. I won't toss the race card if i can't make sure that i see it through.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
What's disturbing is you probably actually believe this despite evidence to the contrary.
Are you saying that white people are willing to talk about racism? Anytime racism is brought, I hear the same comments from white people, "why is race always brought into this discussion" "how can we move forward if we continue to bring up race", 'i'm not racist because I have a black friend" "I'm tired of race being brought". White people would love if blacks never uttered the word racism again ever in their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections