Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 06:44 AM

865 posts, read 676,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I am not sure why you keep referring to trailer parks when you speak of this. These tornadoes wiped out entire towns....schools, churches, fire departments, the mansion on the hill as well as the shack on the country road...just about everything. It's not about rebuilding just homes, it's about rebuilding entire towns. I understand what Ron Paul is saying and maybe he is even right to some extent, but right now is bad timing to use this horrific event to make a political statement. It makes me question his emphathy for others.
It's a bad time for journalists to press him on one of his ideals, to make a headline. He was asked, and he gave an answer.

The fact of the matter is, none of Ron Paul's policies cut or eliminate financial relief for natural disasters. He is simply bringing the discussion to the table. Pulling back the curtain and making a case for why FEMA causes far more harm than good(by using empiricism to his own districts record, as well as echoing the voices of the people who he represents.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 06:51 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,762,455 times
My family has been through multiple multiple emergency situations like house fires and tornados, yet the fed never bailed us out. And the simple fact is people get insurance for a reason. Another fact is that the fed will print more money to handle this sitution because there is no money for it elsewise. I know how you people love your nannny state hyper inflation, but it is utterlybirresponsible and ultimately unsustainable in the end. You people will just have to learn the hard way when the dollar collapses.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Well, the Obama haters can't have it both ways. Its considered a hand-out when disaster victims are in New Orleans (and Black) yet somehow when the disaster strikes in your backyard its America's duty to provide federal aid.

This is how a Ron Paul would handle any and all disasters that happen over the course of a presidency...turning his back. Better that you guys know now then when a tornado hits your trailer park with a Ron Paul in the White House.
Why does color have to play into this? What happened in NOLA< was awful, most of us were saddened by this and felt for the victims, but remember a couple of things, and this has nothing to do with color: 1-the then governor didn't react fast enough nor did the mayor. Add to this, the residence were given plenty of warning and chose to ignore it. I see this in Galveston all the time: people are told to get the heck out, they choose to stay: one of these days they will get wiped out as well. They are not black, it isn't a color issue.

That being said, yes, to many it is a handout and they will keep asking and expecting more and more. Should people carry insurance to protect themselves from a natural disaster that probably only hits once in every 30 years but costs a fortune? I don't know the answer, but I do think Dr Paul is off rocker when it comes to this issue. We lived in Cal for many years, just like you do now. We lived through some pretty rough earthquakes, like 1971. And yes, we saw many people take advantage of the government forgiveness loans, but we know many who used the money for what is was inteneded to be used for: rebuilding where the damage was done. I may not think FEMA is run well, but I do think we need some federal government protection. Heck, we send millions to other countries, when disaster hits, why not to our people? I will say again, this has nothing to do with color nor trailer parks for that matter.

Nita

Old 03-05-2012, 07:00 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Does not matter what Ron Paul says, he is losing this race just like he did twice before and he does not stand a chance of winning either the GOP nomination, not to mention he will be getting nowhere near the Whitehouse. The American People reject Pauls ideas and that folks is a good thing

Old 03-05-2012, 07:08 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, stood by his libertarian beliefs on Sunday, saying that victims of the violent storms and tornadoes that have battered a band of states in the South and Midwest in recent days should not be given emergency financial aid from the federal government.

"There is no such thing as federal money," Paul said, on CNN’s State of the Union. "Federal money is just what they steal from the states and steal from you and me."

Ron Paul: No Federal Financial Aid for Tornado Victims - Yahoo! News
Since he's a federal employee, that makes him a thief by his own reasoning. Why do people listen to this clown?

Old 03-05-2012, 07:12 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I am sorry for all the recent loss from the tornadoes, but I have to agree this time with Ron Paul.. Relief efforts should be handled by the state and charitable organizations. The federal government has no business in helping after any disaster. Look at the disaster they turned Katrina into.
So, the federal government, who built those levees, should have turned their backs on the damage caused by those shoddily maintained levees? Nice.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:17 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
But you as well as others missed the point as usual. Understood since you don't believe in personal responsibility and want a big federal government to take care of you from cradle to grave.

"To say that any accident that happens in the country, send in FEMA, send in the money, the government has all this money—it is totally out of control and it's not efficient," Paul said.

Get rid of the ineffective costly FEMA. As uninformed as you are you probably don't know how bad they handled New Orleans. Or maybe you think the people in Kentucky are too dumb to handle the problems in their own state but I don't. I believe in them. Very independent people.

Ron Paul wants the money to stay with the states and let them handle it. When FEMA came into Texas he said the same thing. "Give us back OUR money and let us handle it." The locals know the area better so they know which parts should get the needed aid. They will not be delayed as much if the ineffective extra layer of government is out of the way.

typical
Ron Paul was very clear in what he said
and now here comes his minions marching in to slap us dumb folk up side the head
to dress up his comments!!
You people are kin to Obama minions
try to bait and switch
but too late
at least SOME of us know what is going on!!
I for one can see and hear just fine, thank you very much!

Old 03-05-2012, 07:20 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,517,673 times
The whole system needs to be changed.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:00 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,176,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
So, then, how does Mr. Paul suggest these very large problems be handled when the state that has been battered by the natural disaster doesn't have the money to handle it?

Also, it seems that Texas (his and your home state) has had a highly disproportionate amount of "other states'" money going to it in the form of Federal military, port authority, highway, agricultural, and disaster relief dollars (among other things). Do you both expect to be paying for all of that as well?

It must be nice to be so sure that you have no chance to win an election. It makes it much easier to spout archaic nonsense that doesn't and never has worked throughout our history.
Then you should ask the question why isn't the state has money.

Ohh right, more than 1/2 of our money go to the Federal tax. Income tax, FICA tax, gas tax, and the list just go on and on and on and on.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:13 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,495,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, stood by his libertarian beliefs on Sunday, saying that victims of the violent storms and tornadoes that have battered a band of states in the South and Midwest in recent days should not be given emergency financial aid from the federal government.

"There is no such thing as federal money," Paul said, on CNN’s State of the Union. "Federal money is just what they steal from the states and steal from you and me."

Ron Paul: No Federal Financial Aid for Tornado Victims - Yahoo! News
I hope this gets a lot of 'play' in the states hardest hit, as we approach "Super Tuesday."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections