Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 06:49 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Hey genius. Look at the last line. I said Who Cares.

Put down the mouse and take your meds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Just so you know, this is against the TOS.

lol, let him babble. I love watching their heads explode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 08:43 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
That is really burying your head in the sand.

Good luck in your new business. If Obama is re-elected your taxes will be skyrocketing on Jan 1, 2013.
The Tax Foundation - Taxmageddon Looms, Potentially Pushing Tax Freedom Day Later than Ever

That doesn't mean you can't be successful, it just will be harder. My advice is not to hire until you have to. Do as much as you can yourself until you get going.
If Obama loses, you will see the economy start to soar the day after election day; just like it plummeted right after he won in 2008.
This is true. I agree, i also advise not to hire anyone and do as much as you can yourself but maybe outsource a bookkeeper and get advise from a CPA. One wrong move or missed deadline and it can cost you big. The minute you claim home office deduction the flags will go up and you better follow the letter of the law and have submitted all the right paperwork. Also look up limited liability company also known as LLC. Disclaimer, Always ask a professionals advise.

Once you are pulling a profit, by the time the gov is done with you, you will feel side blinded especially in this punish the successful, punish the producers climate. That's when the light bulb will come on and you will see things very differently.

Last edited by eRayP; 05-06-2012 at 08:51 PM..

Old 05-06-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenncmom View Post
Thanks for the well wishes. Fortunately my business is a service based business so I do not need to worry about inventory.

You may not have to worry about inventory but there are plenty of other expenses to pay for to keep your business running. And you will still have to pay unbelievable taxes. I know, I am also a service business.

I am going to initially work out of my home, until I think the business can support a small leased space. Right now it's just me and my skills with little start up costs. If I had to invest a lot initially I probably wouldn't be inclined to do it. I have the money but I'm very frugal.

As a business owner you will have to be frugal, in fact if you were not frugal, you will see money in a different way and you will become frugal. Remember, those bills need paid and no business can be an island upon itself, you will need others services and taxes need paid. And just when you think you see the light of day, you'll get side blinded.

I am looking at business structure right now and trying to decide if it would be better for me to run a sole proprietorship or S corp. For a long time DH worked as a musician for the church who treated him as a contractor and we had to file a Schedule C and all that and pay the entire 15+% for self-employment tax even though it was never his intention to start a business. Crazy PITA.

There will probably not be a lot of profit to pay taxes ON the first couple of years anyway. I am going to have a website designed but will count on word of mouth and targeted marketing as well.

You better have a better plan. If you will provide a service locally it might do but learn about Seo.

As I have been a SAHM the last 10 years, any additional $ coming in would be gravy. And I have no hesitation in shutting the business down after 2 years if I feel that my compensation is not adequate for the time spent.

If your business is going to be successful don't start with a negative mindset, start with, .... Success Is The Only Option / Acceptable Outcome mindset.

Good luck and if Obama gets re-elected, your going to need every ounce of luck. Many businesses, if they have not already folded and closed their doors are already weakened by a very weak economy and really can't take on much more. And there will be more unemployed.

Anyone else ever dream of owning a business?

Last edited by eRayP; 05-06-2012 at 09:52 PM..

Old 05-06-2012, 09:37 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,333,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Anyone else ever dream of owning a business?
Good advice all around Ray. I even designed my own website and learned how to get good search engine rankings myself. That saves a lot of money.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:38 PM

I remember the last time we had high unemployment. Guess what? For those buying this hoopla,

It is now an employers market and you know what that means? For those who are working, wages stagnate, no raises, other people who desparetly want a job and will work for less. If you have a job you better be at the top of your game.

And into a downward spiral we go!

Julia!!! now I need the Gov to take care of me????

Old 05-07-2012, 05:30 AM

387 posts, read 1,045,882 times
Quote:
You better have a better plan. If you will provide a service locally it might do but learn about Seo.
Oh, I know about this, believe me. Secret weapon. I am actually looking to fill a niche so there will definitely be keywords on my site. I'm not only marketing direct to consumer, but to those who would send me referrals. This idea has been in the works for about 2 years already while I am back in school preparing.

Quote:
If your business is going to be successful don't start with a negative mindset, start with, .... Success Is The Only Option / Acceptable Outcome mindset.
It's not a negative mindset. I just want to start slow. It's OK if this is a sideline business for a while. My kids are still young. I think this has the potential to do very well though, so I am excited about that prospect. And mentally prepared to pay about 50% taxes on profit. And fees for banks and an accountant. And insurance, etc.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
And mentally prepared to pay about 50% taxes on profit. And fees for banks and an accountant. And insurance, etc.
Lol so when you do start to pull a profit, say, $50k a year, you won't mind paying the gov $25k leaving you $25k?

Then you pull $100k, if you ever do with this mindset, you won't mind writing that check for 50k?

Leaving you $50k

Lol, you have a tough time growing your business giving your your working capital and profits away.

By this time you will wish you could hire someone but since you are paying for some of that party in las Vegas or welfare checks. I want to hear you say this after years of working your butt off.

Enjoy your $25k

Last edited by eRayP; 05-07-2012 at 09:24 AM..

Old 05-07-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
And mentally prepared to pay about 50% taxes on profit. And fees for banks and an accountant. And insurance, etc.
Remember, you as a business person want to create jobs, a job that your employee can depend on. Do that and they are happy (unless they prefer a handout), create jobs also means there is a demand for your service, that your business is surviving, that you also should be able to support your family on, and should be able to live well on, there is nothing wrong with that.

Giving it a way and your company is doomed and without providing anything for you or a job for others.

You are thinking small

Old 05-07-2012, 09:51 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I love it! Obama posts something that says, "Look! You have to subsidize this ENTIRE WOMAN'S LIFE!!!"

This is going to backfire BIG TIME.
Who is "We?" Eisenhower, Nixon, Ford, Reagan and the First Bush certainly supported the safety net.

Eisenhower even said this:

Quote:
"Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes that you can do these things. Among them are a few Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or businessman from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid."

President Dwight D. Eisenhower, l952
This only shows how far the GOP has tacked to the right.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:56 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Lol so when you do start to pull a profit, say, $50k a year, you won't mind paying the gov $25k leaving you $25k?

Then you pull $100k, if you ever do with this mindset, you won't mind writing that check for 50k?

Leaving you $50k

Lol, you have a tough time growing your business giving your your working capital and profits away.

By this time you will wish you could hire someone but since you are paying for some of that party in las Vegas or welfare checks. I want to hear you say this after years of working your butt off.

Enjoy your $25k
Where did this 50% number come from? Because if one thinks that the marginal tax-rate means everything from $0-$X, you don't know what a marginal tax-rate is. A marginal tax-rate on $1,000,000, means that the 50% doesn't kick-in until $1,000,000. As an example, if one earned $1,000,001. The 50% rate would only apply to that last $1. The taxes on the rest are at the lower rates. The first $50,000, according to current law, is probably either not taxed or at a very low rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections