Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2012, 05:49 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
He was more than willing to let them (car companies) to go bankrupt! And you are right it is not a bailout
There was nothing at all wrong with allowing them to go through a bankruptcy. Airlines did it and came out the other side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 08:47 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There was nothing at all wrong with allowing them to go through a bankruptcy. Airlines did it and came out the other side.
Nothing wrong for you but for the millions of direct auto workers suppliers and their families, not so much. Moreover, it saved $28 billion in unemployment benefits. The bottom line is that the nation is better off with saving GM than not.

One can stick with blind ideology or do the right thing. Fortunately, Obama did the right thing.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:54 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,569,957 times
Quintessential Republican city----Dallas-Ft. Worth.

What you get when the lefties take over---Detroit.

See how easy that was, sports fans?

Old 06-07-2012, 12:34 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
This is Romney's NY Times OP ED titled: "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt." Can't wiggle out of that.
wiggle out of what

ANY FAILED entity (company, major corp, or even a city) that is not able to survive needs to go though bankrupsy. sell the assets to whom ever will buy it and liquidate

just like GM...could have gone into the bankrupsey (that is ended up doing anyway) with out a 'bailout' that the taxpayers will nevr get their money back from

btw GMAC (part of GM ).(aka ALLY financial)(hq'd in detroit).is filing for bankrupsey RIGHT NOW....i know because my mortgage is GMAC and I just got a letter (luckily my mortgage will be paid off this year)

Old 06-07-2012, 05:53 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Nothing wrong for you but for the millions of direct auto workers suppliers and their families, not so much. Moreover, it saved $28 billion in unemployment benefits. The bottom line is that the nation is better off with saving GM than not.
Hello? Anyone home? THEY DID GO BANKRUPT..
Quote:
One can stick with blind ideology or do the right thing. Fortunately, Obama did the right thing.
Actually it was Bush that bailed them out..

Old 06-07-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Quintessential Republican city----Dallas-Ft. Worth.

What you get when the lefties take over---Detroit.

See how easy that was, sports fans?
Well, if Detroit had oil it would be like Dallas.

But this is how Republicans deal with deficits:

CNN MONEY

Quote:
NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Texas lawmakers unveiled a Spartan budget late Tuesday night that slashes $31 billion in spending to close the state's massive budget deficit. Education, Medicaid and corrections would be hit particularly hard.

House legislators were forced to rely on spending cuts to close the shortfall -- estimated at between $15 billion and $27 billion -- because Republican leaders pledged not to raise taxes. They also did not touch the state's projected $9.4 billion rainy day fund, one of the most flush in the nation.

The spending plan calls for a 13% hit to public education and a 7.6% drop in higher education support. Among the cuts, funding for pre-K Early Start programs would be slashed, and four community colleges would be closed.

Such a drastic decline in public education support could be problematic because it would drop the education budget below a level mandated by the state, and force the legislature to change the law.

Health and human services would see funding plummet by nearly a quarter, while government services would fall by almost the same percentage.

Nearly 9,300 government jobs would be eliminated and Medicaid providers would see a 10% rate reduction. Fewer residents would receive meal deliveries and services to keep them in their homes. Some 60,000 students would lose financial aid for college.

Funding for defending the poor in court would drop by 15%. And the department that supervises and supports parolees would by cut by nearly 21%.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
wiggle out of what

ANY FAILED entity (company, major corp, or even a city) that is not able to survive needs to go though bankrupsy. sell the assets to whom ever will buy it and liquidate

just like GM...could have gone into the bankrupsey (that is ended up doing anyway) with out a 'bailout' that the taxpayers will nevr get their money back from

btw GMAC (part of GM ).(aka ALLY financial)(hq'd in detroit).is filing for bankrupsey RIGHT NOW....i know because my mortgage is GMAC and I just got a letter (luckily my mortgage will be paid off this year)
GMAC (Ally Financial) is seeking Chapter 11 bankruptcy. As you know, Chapter 11 bankruptcy is a reorganization bankruptcy and GMAC won't be closing its doors. It makes no difference if you paid off your mortgage or not.

I see no reason, beyond ideological dogma, that "NY FAILED entity (company, major corp, or even a city) that is not able to survive needs to go though bankrupsy (sic). sell the assets to whom ever will buy it and liquidate." If the U.S. government pursued that avenue then not only would millions of more people been unemployed but the government would have had to pay an additional $28 billion in unemployment benefits.

The objective is to make the best decision for the good of all. GM tried to sell assets in the private market and every deal fell through.

The alternative, the government saving GM was good for GM, good for employees and good for the nation. How any thinking person can say that upholding their ideological playbook would have had a better outcome is not evident.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:

LOL, you do realize that despite the way I worded my statement that GM did go through a bankruptcy?

The world did not end. Nor would it if the administration had stayed out of it like things have been done for a long time and the courts would have been allowed to sort it out.

A bankruptcy does not mean the end of the company in every instance.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
wiggle out of what

WHy when it is still a viable business? You do realize that bankruptcies happen like this all the time? That the courts simply allow them to re-organize their debts?

GM wasn't a failed idea, they were simply being poorly run.

Quote:

Why would this be lucky for you? I mean, yes, it's great that you will be getting it paid off but the bankruptcy will not have an affect on you.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
LOL, you do realize that despite the way I worded my statement that GM did go through a bankruptcy?

The world did not end. Nor would it if the administration had stayed out of it like things have been done for a long time and the courts would have been allowed to sort it out.

A bankruptcy does not mean the end of the company in every instance.
It would have for GM as liabilities outweighed assets. GM was preparing to shutter its doors had the government not saved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections