Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 09:39 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Please tell me,

How do you cash a check without Photo ID?

also
I agree, it does seem peculiar to be an adult and not have a photo ID, since they are used for so many things. I know some people manage to end up w/o an ID, either they lost it, or they may be 18, never had a job and never got a driver's license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 09:42 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Plenty of voter help groups that help them register and take them to the polls to vote.
Now they can help them get their IDs as well.

It really shouldn't be the issue that it has become.
Agreed, but this is very close to the election now, and the state does have a responsibility to make a substantive effort to help people who might otherwise fall thru the cracks.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:42 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,787,000 times
Is a photo ID required to REGISTER to vote in PA? It is in California, I believe, and other states.

If you must show a photo ID to register, what's the problem with doing it again to actually vote?

Unless you're not the same person who registered?

Old 08-15-2012, 09:49 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I agree. I'm all for requiring ID for voting, but I think the ID should be provided at no cost, and the law should be implemented slowly. There should be a grace period.
I agree. The U.S. Dept of State should be required to provide a U.S. Passport to every qualified U.S. Citizen, at no cost to the Citizen. At least it would make it easier for those who don't like the U.S. Constitution to leave the country.

If I'm going to carry papers at least I want them to be useful. You know, like Jokers and such.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:07 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,324,953 times
Do any of you realize that in Pa there was not a probelm with voter fraud until the republicans decided that the poor, elderly and minorities did not need to vote?

Old 08-15-2012, 10:12 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Do any of you realize that in Pa there was not a probelm with voter fraud until the republicans decided that the poor, elderly and minorities did not need to vote?
Blah, blah, blah. More hateful, divisive rhetoric from the side with no substantive ideas.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:15 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Don't forget to include Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:18 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
And let's hope they do a good job of informing the people how and where they can obtain an ID.
The law was in place before the primary, they requested an ID but you didn't need it to vote. It's been all over the news since about February or March when they passed and of course in the news with the recent suits, you'd have to live under a rock to not know it's a law. If all else fails you can use a provisional ballot in November but will need to provide a valid ID in ten days.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:19 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,324,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Agreed, but this is very close to the election now, and the state does have a responsibility to make a substantive effort to help people who might otherwise fall thru the cracks.
Does'nt it seem odd that all of the sudden the republicans are pushing for tighter voter registeration laws, especially after stealing two consective elections in 01 and 04? And why is it by chance that only the republican governed states are pushing this, even when there is no fraud in the first place? How about the fact none of this was mentioned in 2008-09 but since they have these unpopular clowns running they have decided that certain groups (i.e democratic blocks) should have difficulty voting?

Old 08-15-2012, 10:20 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Is a photo ID required to REGISTER to vote in PA? It is in California, I believe, and other states.

If you must show a photo ID to register, what's the problem with doing it again to actually vote?

Unless you're not the same person who registered?
No, both CA and TX have online registration.
All you need to do is check a box for citizenship.
Do no have to send in any copies of anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections