Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2012, 03:08 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,530,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Look, once more, I'm going to try to clear this up...and if some of you still don't get it, I feel very sorry for you all...I really do.

I don't know why people refuse to understand what these people are saying, i.e. Glenn Beck.
There is a woman who called into the Hannity show yesterday, she was upset, b/c her and her husband both lost their jobs...they are both going to school now, full time, to get better jobs, but had to recourse, on food stamps. They have four children. She was insulted by the statements that Romney, and all the right wing Hannity, Limbaugh, etc were saying. More so, she was hurt....embarrassed. and this is what Hannity said and the way most of us feel.

You are all taking what Romney said out of context. This woman who called in, was a black woman by the way. She is soon to finish her degree for nursing. Hannity asked, "Were you ever on food stamps before?" "No" she replied. Hannity continued, "Listen, everyone at some point in their lives needs help, and you by all means, should not feel insulted or embarrassed." You are doing something to better your lives, and, in the best way you can." He added, I admire you and so would Romney and many other Republicans." It is the lifers that actually live off of us...like welfare, collecting food stamps, when they absolutely could get out and work. I know someone who has been laid off, lost his job...collected unemployment until it stoped and now won't work at all. He refused to get out there and look for a job, in any other occupation, other then what he did. So, he is still unemployed, his wife works full time, and he doesn't care.

I know another man who lost his career, and he went out there and got a job. You can collect trash, you can work at a fast food store...you can open your own business...i.e. spray washing, mowing lawns, washing dishes in a resturant...until one gets on their feet. But to sit home and do nothing and collect welfare and food stamps, living off the country's citizens, is an outrage...these slugs, are who Romney is talking about....they are not working members of society and think, no actually believe they are entitled to this. And welfare, breeds welfare, lazy, no account people who don't give a darn about contributing, and there are more and more doing this every year....and I personally, have no respect for them, period.

I have done everything from cleaning houses, ironing, working in a bakery, working construction (and I'm a woman) for 8 years, secretary, baby sitting, you name it, I've done it...worked in a bank, and waitressed a good portion of my life, working a full time job and waitressing nights. I would have done anything I could, even held 3 jobs at one time, to pay the bills and put food on the table. My point is, there isn't or wasn't any job to low for me to do...if it meant a paycheck.

The people that Romney is referring to, are people who refuse to even try, and live off of welfare all their lives. He is not talking about retired citizens, or vets, or disabled people, and mind you, there are a lot of those people who DO work....even though they should be retired or even disabled people are now hired...as well as vets.

Where there is a will, there is a way...and I respect anyone out there who will work any job to put food on the table and meet their monthly costs. And if they cannot, and need to collect welfare/food stamps until they get on their feet, then I respect them to, b/c they are embarrassed to do so, and will get off of it, as soon as they can.

but there are tons of people out there who don't give a damn about living off of welfare, food stamps, and refuse to get a job. There are women out there who have more children, so they can collect more welfare money. Those people are not working members of the communty, they are to me, low life, selfish scum who do nothing but hinder society and make things harder on the whole community of the U.S.

Romney said, he didn't remember exactly what he said, but he'd stand by it. I don't remember what I had for supper last night, or what I said yesterday, but I would also stand by my beliefs and convinctions, my personal institution, and I for one, and Proud that Romney had the guts to say what he said, b/c it is the truth.
There are thousands of people in this country, who are illegal. They are sucking the life out of this country, and don't pay taxes...those are the people Romney is talking about.
Illegals have caused a huge deficent in our society, and our pocket books.

I cannot believe I actually have to explain this to people, that your taking insult to what Romney said, b/c you might be struggling and living off of welfare/food stamps, until you bring yourself out of it.

I'm poor to, I live alone, I'm single, and I struggle...but that is MY Choice....I should be retired, but I'm still working full time, that to is MY CHOICE. And I plan to work as long as I possibly can, which is also my choice. I like working. So, what if I don't have all the beautiful cars, the best of everything, I don't even have a cell phone, and I don't want one. And yanno what, I do ok...I'm comfortable...I mean how much does one really need. I worked since I was 13 years old, and I'm very proud of what I have. There was one time, when I was waitressing, full time, 6 days a week, in my early 20's. I had to have a serious operation. I called welfare and made an appointment. They wanted to put me on checks...I said, no, that I had enough saved, to get me through until I could go back to work, but I did need help with the medical expenses. That is all I wanted, and they did help. And when I was well enough to return to work, I did ok....I had a toddler at the time, and needed help. Then, it was extremely embarrassing for me to do that...but I had to...Romney isn't talking about that kind of senerio, and neither does any republican hold it against you. Sometimes, people need help...

I just cannot believe how some of you blew this whole thing out of poportion to suit your own agendas, of simply being democrates. Your acting like kindergarden kids...fighting back and forth over this. I can't honestly fathom, how anyone could think any other way? What I mean is, that you are unable to grasp the bigger picture of what Romney was saying? It is actually unbelievable that with all the horrible stuff going over seas, even the media is milking this whole thing dry...using it to undermine Romeny, and trust me, he is not a favorite of mine....but I just cannot believe you people and am shocked, stunned that the media and some of you just are unable to grasp the truth in this matter. In the stead, you blow it way out of context and use it to put him down? Unbelievable and freakin scary!
Out of context? If he feels this way, then he should have freaking come out and said that on day 1, when the tape was released, and/or have better judgement, not to get caught with his fellow fat cats and have even said it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 03:55 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee
Look, once more, I'm going to try to clear this up...and if some of you still don't get it, I feel very sorry for you all...I really do.

I don't know why people refuse to understand what these people are saying, i.e. Glenn Beck.
There is a woman who called into the Hannity show yesterday, she was upset, b/c her and her husband both lost their jobs...they are both going to school now, full time, to get better jobs, but had to recourse, on food stamps. They have four children. She was insulted by the statements that Romney, and all the right wing Hannity, Limbaugh, etc were saying. More so, she was hurt....embarrassed. and this is what Hannity said and the way most of us feel.

You are all taking what Romney said out of context.
Which part of Romney's statement, below, was taken out of context? What possible context could there be that would make that statement any less reprehensible -- that 47% of Americans are moochers?

The guy speaks the way self-satisfied millionaires speak about the poor while they puff cigars and sip cognac at the country club.

"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe that government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you name it. That that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them."

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/we...xrs=share_copy

Old 09-21-2012, 04:11 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,371,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Which part of Romney's statement, below, was taken out of context? What possible context could there be that would make that statement any less reprehensible -- that 47% of Americans are moochers?

The guy speaks the way self-satisfied millionaires speak about the poor while they puff cigars and sip cognac at the country club.

"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe that government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you name it. That that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them."

Chaos on Bulls**t Mountain - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 09/19/12 - Video Clip | Comedy Central
Yeap. He did not even deny it.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:28 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
The people that Romney is referring to, are people who refuse to even try, and live off of welfare all their lives. He is not talking about retired citizens, or vets, or disabled people, and mind you, there are a lot of those people who DO work....even though they should be retired or even disabled people are now hired...as well as vets.
Romney said "47% of Americans". That is a huge number of people. He didn't differentiate. Do you actually BELIEVE that after we remove the retirees, working poor, students, disabled vets, there are STILL 47% of Americans leeching on the system?

Romney and ilk truly believe if you aren't rich, you don't count. You don't like to acknowledge this, but it is the truth. He could not have made it any plainer.

That 47% are people not paying income taxes because they are using legal tax deductions and credits - JUST LIKE MITT ROMNEY DOES - enacted by Republicans, btw. But, since these people are poor, he believes they feel "entitled."

What's sauce for the goose is clearly not sauce for the gander - especially if you are not "successful."

Old 09-21-2012, 04:38 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Hahaha what? You're trying to argue that when Mitt Romney was talking about the 47% he was referring to "illegals" and "undocumented workers"? Those people cannot vote, and he was not referring to them. It saddens me that so many people in our country who can actually vote could be as misinformed as you are.
Yes. So, Mitt was referring to VOTERS - not undocumented people. VOTERS. VOTERS. VOTERS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That happens when the only source of news you get is from AM radio and Fox News.
Exactly. I've actually heard people from NC, SC, TX, TN, FL - call in to C-Span and say Fox is the only honest news station out there. The brainwashing is mindboggling.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:59 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,324,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Out of context? If he feels this way, then he should have freaking come out and said that on day 1, when the tape was released, and/or have better judgement, not to get caught with his fellow fat cats and have even said it!
I agree, and another thing why did he say this among his wealthy donors instead of the general public? the man is obiviously out of touch and does not care about anyone who is not in his tax bracket. Why are the republican puppets trying the defend the indefensible words of mitt.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Hahaha what? You're trying to argue that when Mitt Romney was talking about the 47% he was referring to "illegals" and "undocumented workers"? Those people cannot vote, and he was not referring to them. It saddens me that so many people in our country who can actually vote could be as misinformed as you are.
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So when did undocumented workers start filing federal taxes?
And collecting welfare, for that matter?

Old 09-23-2012, 11:20 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,602,495 times

Old 09-23-2012, 11:26 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,421,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I agree, and another thing why did he say this among his wealthy donors instead of the general public? the man is obiviously out of touch and does not care about anyone who is not in his tax bracket. Why are the republican puppets trying the defend the indefensible words of mitt.
Last month you guys were all arguing that you were in higher tax brackets - you and Buffett's secretary.

I think he regrets his word choice - but not the sentiment, because he's actually correct.

We need to raise taxes on everyone. I'm ready. Are you ready for the Clinton-era taxes?

Old 09-23-2012, 11:44 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,562,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
That is funny because Mittens is the king of government handouts. I don't know many welfare recipients who are able to finagle a $10 million dollar handout.

The Federal Bailout That Saved Mitt Romney | Politics News | Rolling Stone
And yet the Romney worshippers will ignore this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections