Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 12:06 PM

758 posts, read 592,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
The GOP needs to ween itself off the Conservative Entertainment Complex. There are too many charlatans making a fortune off of tickling the base's engorged amygdalas. They can't tell fact from opinion.

I didn't really appreciate just how delusional and gullible today's GOP has become, till I heard Romney himself was " shellshocked" that he lost. He didn't even have a concession speech ready, just in case- completely snookered by Rove-Fox-Limbaugh-Morris's view of reality. And a guy with Mitt's judgment wanted to be president?

The GOP is in a similar spot to where the Dems were in 1984- losing the popular vote in 5 out of 6 of the last elections. The Dems responded by marginalizing their far left flank, and broadening their appeal to the electorate by recruiting pro-gun, pro-military faith-friendly candidates.

The GOP needs to do the same thing in reverse. Restore trust in science, embrace the new demography, stop demonizing the opposition, live their faith, but don't impose it on others, stop treating women like brood stock, and extend their aversion to Big Government to people's bedrooms. Otherwise, they're on their way to obscurity.

We need at least two viable parties to make democracy work. Liberal party vs Conservative party is OK- but Liberal Party vs Crazy party? No bueno!
Es la verdad! At the rate they're going the GOP might find themselves on the endangered species list sooner rather than later.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Californians voted to tax themselves (rich and poor) to improve their schools, try that in a Republican state.
Wait? Don't you know in a Republican state, they're supposed to pray their deficit away?

Old 11-12-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
If Reps become too much like Dems we will have one party rule just with two different names... the one called "Democrat" would still win.

Issues like giving women free birth control are trivial compared to record deficit spending and all the ramifications of it.
Well then maybe they should stop pouring all our tax dollars into defense and trying to wage war with half the world.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:10 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,974,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Deficit spending can NOT take place without removing money from the economy, nor reducing the value of the dollar.
Deficit spending doesn't take "now" money away from the economy. It takes money away in the years you spend paying the debt back and interest. The idea is you deficit spend to put money into the economy now and put the brakes on recession, and you have it removed from the economy after the economy has recovered and is strong and can stand having some taken out.

It's like paying for your family to live and eat. If you lose your job, you put the expenses on the credit card. It doesn't come out of your now money. But once you get a good job again and have disposable income, you pay the credit card down then and the money used to pay is that much less money to have to go out to eat, buy Christmas presents, etc. all the extra perks of having a good job. But with that good job you will be able to accomplish the basics AND pay down your debt.

The value of the dollar being reduced is just the price you pay for rescuing the economy from collapse. You could opt NOT to deficit spend, and just let recession take the economy where it will. And often that is way down in the dumps. And if the recession happens to include the collapse of banking and auto industries, you get taken into Depression if you opt not to deficit spend. It's a matter of which is more tolerable, a less valuable dollar or an economic depression. They choose not to cut rates and print money and devalue the dollar during the Great Depression, and they went further into depression. We cut rates and printed money and bailed out industries, and we avoided depression but have a lower dollar, which by the way, hasn't kept us from steady economic growth around 2%. I like that result more than I would have Depression with a strong dollar.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Liberal mindset is astounding.

Tell me how taking money out of the economy and decreasing the value of the dollar, improves the economy? Tell me how massive spending, which results in lower GDP growth in the future, makes things better. Tell me how record deficits, which results in record debt, which increases the need to take more money out of the economy, and give it to big fat bankers, in the name of interest, makes the poor people better..
Simple! It's called basic arithmetic. The more revenue they make from increasing taxes, the more they can pay off the national debt. The more we cut taxes, the greater the debt goes up. The typical conservative mindset is this grandiose idea that the debt is supposed to go down while we cut taxes and borrow endlessly from China while pouring it all into defense. The bailouts all started under Bush. Also, if you're referring to giving money to big fat bankers, then thanks for proving my point I've made before that trickle down economics don't work. It's all poppycock.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
No **** deficit spending under Republicans went to war, we were at war

Other than that, Bush had almost balanced budgets through most of his term, untl your Democrats took over Congress.

The fact that we shedded jobs while DEMOCRATS HELD CONGRESS, and did NOTHING to stop it, has me wondering why you're blaming the GOP.
There you go again trying to blame all the errors and mishandling of the economy on the Democrats. For the record, our national debt hasn't been paid off entirely since Andrew Jackson was president.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
We wont need to adopt because the liberal utopia society is unsubstainable. At some point when the dollar crashes, and we cant issue anymore debt, the country wont have a choice but to resort to conservative practices. Cuts will be needed EVERYWHERE.. and those very people who voted in iresponsible spending, will be hurt the most.
So you'd rather we live back in the Dark Ages instead?

Old 11-12-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
what is another word for nonsense? Some might say BULLS@@#

The Democrats were lucky to keep control of the senate: if it hadn't been for a couple of jerky statements by a couple of Republican candidates it would have gone the other way: talk about gerrymandering, If it hadn't been for that Alan West would not have lost. We had some gerrymandering here in AR, it was supposed to favor the Democrats: what happened? For the first time since 1874 the Republicans control the state house and the our new house of Rep member is a Republican. So, right now, only for Fed elected rep which is a conservative Dem is in office. How do you explain all the Republican Governors?

Lets hope unemployment is down, that should be a no brainer; recessions run their course, the problem with your theory is: most of the jobs being created now are less than full time, which mean workers will have to work 2 jobs to get 40 hours in, and many major companies have double the cost of health insurance or gone with independent contractors instead of in house employees.

You know there is nothing more interesting than sensible political debates but when one side is so far out of touch and so liberal the debate becomes worthless. That is what has happened here, you are letting your totally out of control liberal views influence, what I would hope, is your better senses...
Ah yes! Spoken like a sore loser. How's that trickle down economics working for you?

Old 11-12-2012, 12:18 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,883,805 times
I don't see how the Repub Cannibals will recover ...

Conservative media eat their own | Nicholas Wapshott

Old 11-12-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Take two aspirin and call me back when you feel better.
Oh, I'm feel swell. Thanks for asking, though. I'm glad our nation finally got a conscience and more women went out and voted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.