Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 06:36 AM

12,040 posts, read 6,572,819 times

Advertisements

And congrats to Tim Scott in South Carolina, he has a great positive attitude and message -- especially for blacks.
I've been saying for a couple of years that some of the most exciting pols are now black conservatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 06:49 AM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Will Mia and Tim get an invite to the Congressional Black Caucus....I wonder?

Old 11-05-2014, 07:44 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Will Mia and Tim get an invite to the Congressional Black Caucus....I wonder?
Good question.

Let's not also forget Will Hurd from Texas, looks like he won as well.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:35 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
She won by 3 points in an open seat for a very Republican district in a GOP wave year. There are many things for the Republicans to be happy about with the results last night, but the fact she won by only 3 in those condidtions is actually a bit surprising. I was expecting the GOP to pick up seats, but was certainly off in how good of a night it was for them, and I thought she was going to win by more than she did.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:35 AM

111 posts, read 118,520 times
Is she the only African American Republican? Are there no Hispanic Republicans? Define White Man Republican.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
wake me up when a quarter of the GOP is non white. 1 person doesn't mean anything, although I am glad she won as well. GOP needs to be less white. any non white winning means one less white male, which is fine with me.
It is a start wouldn't you have to admit?

Old 11-05-2014, 09:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
She won by 3 points in an open seat for a very Republican district in a GOP wave year. There are many things for the Republicans to be happy about with the results last night, but the fact she won by only 3 in those condidtions is actually a bit surprising. I was expecting the GOP to pick up seats, but was certainly off in how good of a night it was for them, and I thought she was going to win by more than she did.
I guess this shows, no matter how much some of think we know or what our background is, some things will always be a surprise, like who will win and by how much. Her winning by only 3 points is still a big victory for her and for the party. She ran and lost in 2012, remember?

Old 11-05-2014, 09:37 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Mia Love Defeats Doug Owens In 2014 Utah Election

She is the first black woman Republican elected to congress. So much for the GOP being a bunch of racist people who only elect white men, eh?

I think she could potentially run for president in the future. Watch out for her.
Thanks for calling our attention to that. In the tsunami that was the mid-term vote of 2014, I had forgotten about her.

So MANY changes!

Old 11-05-2014, 09:44 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I guess this shows, no matter how much some of think we know or what our background is, some things will always be a surprise, like who will win and by how much. Her winning by only 3 points is sorta like what happened in VA on the D side, wouldn't you say? The fact she won, after losing 2 years ago is a victory for her, and for the party.

It is a victory for her and the party, no question about it, though if Matheison did run for re-election she likely would have lost. With that being said I think a comparison to Virginia is a good one. A race that wasn't expected to be close wound up being much closer than anyone thought.

I was wrong with my predictions as I thought we would wind up with a 50-50 Senate (6 GOP victories, + an Orman victory), and a bit surprised by the likely 9 seat pickup once Alaska is finalized and the runoff in Louisiana happens. Not completely shocked, but surprised nonetheless. Virginia being as close as what it was probably the most shocking to me. Love by only 3 considering the open seat, how Republican the district was, the overall climate was probably # 2 on that list (even more so than the MD & IL Gov races). Massachusetts didn't surprise me (not sure if I made the prediction on here, but made the preidction on another board that Coakley would lose since she doesn't know how to campaign)

Old 11-05-2014, 09:45 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
wake me up when a quarter of the GOP is non white. 1 person doesn't mean anything, although I am glad she won as well. GOP needs to be less white. any non white winning means one less white male, which is fine with me..............

i dont hate anyone. i dont think government should be as white as it is in 2014. white males like yourself may feel threatened by that which is why you are so defensive.

the GOP being as white as it is now is no good. gop leadership even knows that.

its the GOP white base such as yourself who is against the influx of minorities into the party. more minorities, naturally means less whites, which makes whites such as yourself angry. your angry that the GOP is trying to specifically recruit hispanics and blacks, which is why you attacked my post. you dont want it, even though your party's leadership is actively pursuing it.
You need to understand that the GOP does not recruit members based upon skin color.

The usefulness of Black people to the Democratic party lies only in the fact that Black people vote en masse. They have no interest in Black opinions or even in Black progress. In fact, Democratic leadership would prefer that Black people remain uninformed and united.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections