Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 01:29 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Not a conservative about much, but some responses below:

The balance between electability in the general election and appealing to strict principles is a delicate one, made more difficult by the primary structure.
This is the problem. We saw in several primaries the conservatives win but lose the general election. It isnt like say Arizona or Texas which are very conservative states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
lol

Why is Boehner still speaker then?
Exactly, if we really want a conservative republican then why is Boehner still speaker and the Tea Party objection to him holding that office fail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Exactly. And we're REALLY growing tired of the lesser of two weevils.
I dont too. The republicans in office I can vote for don't represent my interests, they represent those of the Tea Party because of how backwards Arizona is. However there is no option. The only thing that can happen is say a appointed of either tea party or moderate republicans but I don't see that until after 2016, depending how the republican split go whether it is a conservative that turns moderate republicans off (like me) or moderates who conservatives are threatening to throw the election for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Fair enough as you can include me among them.

Still I am pragmatic enough to know staying home while the (D) machine is out getting low information people to vote for "hope & change" equals a recipe for disaster.
As it stands now, any (R) is going to have an uphill battle trying to convince younger women not to vote for Hillary just because of her gender.

As to Jeb, I live in FL and witnessed how he governed. He was pretty darn conservative all eight years, not just the first four.
Frankly, if it was not for his apparent stance on illegal aliens and Common Core, I'd think he was about as conservative as the (R's) could run and get elected.

He is,

pro gun
pro LE
pro Death penalty
pro life
pro small government
pro lower taxes
pro business
etc.
etc.

He lowered taxes, increased job growth, and took a deficit and turned it into a surplus in a state that does not have a state income tax.

`
Yeah Jeb is a good option if you want to bridge conservatives and moderates but it is still early 2015, I think it was mid 2007 when the earliest democrat debate for the 2008 nomination. There will be several candidates popping up for the 2016 republican nomination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 01:43 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,224,583 times
Moderates will run from the Republican Party if they put up a far right candidate.

Old 01-09-2015, 01:56 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
Moderates will run from the Republican Party if they put up a far right candidate.
That isn't the only option.

Old 01-09-2015, 02:10 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
That isn't the only option.
Then what is, a divided party? Remember 1860 when you had the Democrats split between the southern democrats and the northern democrats because of fears of the repeal of slavery. That worked out good for the US.

Old 01-09-2015, 02:14 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,683,672 times
I will be saying home again if its Bush and the usual suspects.

Old 01-09-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Then what is, a divided party? Remember 1860 when you had the Democrats split between the southern democrats and the northern democrats because of fears of the repeal of slavery. That worked out good for the US.
A divided party is still better than evil. 13 years killing people that had done absolutely nothing to us is evil. Not the lesser of two evils but plain old evil.

Old 01-09-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
I will be saying home again if its Bush and the usual suspects.
Don't stay home. Vote. There are always options outside of the two parties. The two parties don't care when you don't vote but they do when you vote for someone outside of the two parties.

Old 01-09-2015, 02:19 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,186,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
until you geniuses vote for someone OUTSIDE the two party system this country is fcked
Two party system? Bwahahahaha! More like a single party with two branches. Or, as I like to say, two sides of the same lousy coin.

Old 01-09-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Don't stay home. Vote. There are always options outside of the two parties. The two parties don't care when you don't vote but they do when you vote for someone outside of the two parties.

pknopp, all I can say is your decency and sincerity shines through like a beacon. You're what I want to be when I grow up.

Old 01-09-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Agreed 110%

I really don't understand the purity obsession that many people within the party have. It's like they want to bite of their nose to spite their face.

They don't seem to understand that a 100% conservative bible thumper is unelectable outside of the very deep South. I would rather have someone who is 65% conservative and can ACTUALLY WIN a presidential election.
Aww, isn't that cute. You and Vector are trying to ****-shame me. I guess you guys belong to the mean-o-con wing of the party of Rove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections