Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 02:01 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,464,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
If you are referring to the Americans killed on 9-11, then Iraq had nothing to do with that. So could you clarify to which innocent Americans are you referring? And, again, I do not justify the death of anyone. That is just plain wrong, to say the least. I, and for that matter Ron Paul, believe in a strong defense. So please, let me (us) know who are the innocent Americans to whom you are referring so we can at least frame the discussion.
Iraq had been training, financing, and providing safe harbor to international terrorist organizations since 1977, and continued to do so until the day we removed Saddam and his Baathist Party from power. The terrorist attack on 09/11/2001 was not the first time American lives were lost by an international terrorist organization. In the War Against Terrorism Congress declared war against ALL international terrorists, and any nation that sponsors them, not just al Qaeda or the Taliban. That made Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, and Syria legitimate US military targets.

Thanks to the US invasion of Iraq, the international terrorist organization known as the PLF and its leader Abu Abbas have ceased to exist. I don't agree with Nation Building, but the invasion of Iraq and removing Saddam and his regime from power was essential.

Don't bring Ron Paul into this, I utterly detest the man. If he had his way he would completely abolish the US military. If you think he believes in a strong defense, then you believe a lie. I suggest you check out his voting record. He ALWAYS votes against any funding for the military. No funding, no military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 02:11 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,464,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And when we're not attacked by a nation-state we should invade/occupy one not involved in the attack because it's more convenient than actually tracking down and dealing with those responsible for the attack?
I have absolutely no idea to what you are referring. Iraq made numerous attacks against US/UK forces between 1991 and 2003. From 1977 until 2003 Iraq trained, financed, and provided safe harbor to international terrorist organizations. In case you were not aware, this isn't a "War Against al Qaeda" or a "War Against the Taliban", we are fighting a "War Against Terrorism" and there are a lot more international terrorist organizations responsible for killing Americans than just al Qaeda.

First and foremost in the "War Against Terrorism" are those nations that train, finance, and provide safe harbor to international terrorist organizations. Before the "War Against Terrorism" can be won, those terrorist sponsoring governments must be eliminated. Once that is accomplished the "War Against Terrorism" ceases to be a military operation and becomes a civilian criminal operation. As long as the terrorist sponsoring governments of Iran and Syria remain in power, the "War Against Terrorism" can never be won, and it requires the military to remove them from power. Just like it required the military to remove the Taliban and Saddam and his regime from power.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:14 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,733,702 times
Quote:
We need to end the American Empire. We are in 130 countries and have 500,000 troops overseas. Why the heck are we doing this? Why are we trying to be the world's police man? We barely have a free country here.
Ulitimetly Sir(an assumption) What would you have us do? The immediate pullout from every country in the world Would you then take responsibiliy for the millions of people that action would condem to death? In spit of any promises they make the next President will leave troops on the ground in Iraq for some time.......

Old 01-16-2008, 02:18 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,675,600 times
I got concerned when I read this. Mostly the last comment by Rumsfeld.

America's Empire of Bases

Old 01-16-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I agree. Why is it that not one of Mitt Romney's 5 strapping young boys is in the military?

Why is it that George W. Bush was able to dodge his military duty? Or why is it that not one of the Bush kids is in the military.

And I don't mean to make this a Republican issue alone. Bill Clinton avoided the draft. And Bill and Hillary Clinton didn't send their daughter to the military.

Etc. etc. etc.
Well lets hear about your service to our country

My54ford
USN 79-99 inlcudeing two deployments in the P.G.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:20 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,675,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Ulitimetly Sir(an assumption) What would you have us do? The immediate pullout from every country in the world Would you then take responsibiliy for the millions of people that action would condem to death? In spit of any promises they make the next President will leave troops on the ground in Iraq for some time.......
I think we are too far past that. But from here forward policies on how we handle countries and situations could change. I dont see how closing some of these bases and butting out of some of the issues would be that bad.

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I have absolutely no idea to what you are referring. Iraq made numerous attacks against US/UK forces between 1991 and 2003. From 1977 until 2003 Iraq trained, financed, and provided safe harbor to international terrorist organizations. In case you were not aware, this isn't a "War Against al Qaeda" or a "War Against the Taliban", we are fighting a "War Against Terrorism" and there are a lot more international terrorist organizations responsible for killing Americans than just al Qaeda.
In case you're not aware, GWB said on 9/11: ""Make no mistake, the United States will hunt down and punish those responsible for these cowardly acts"

In case you're not aware, consensus says al Qaeda was responsible for those "cowardly acts"

In case you're not aware, there was little pre-invasion al Qaeda activity in Iraq

In case you're not aware, Saddam considered al Qaeda an enemy and posed no imminent threat to the US at the time of invasion

In case you're not aware, GWB has failed miserably in foolowing through on his promise to "hunt down and punish those responsible for these cowardly acts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post

First and foremost in the "War Against Terrorism" are those nations that train, finance, and provide safe harbor to international terrorist organizations. Before the "War Against Terrorism" can be won, those terrorist sponsoring governments must be eliminated. Once that is accomplished the "War Against Terrorism" ceases to be a military operation and becomes a civilian criminal operation. As long as the terrorist sponsoring governments of Iran and Syria remain in power, the "War Against Terrorism" can never be won, and it requires the military to remove them from power. Just like it required the military to remove the Taliban and Saddam and his regime from power.
Don't forget the USS STARK!! That was no accident

Old 01-16-2008, 02:21 PM

80 posts, read 41,181 times
I am actually an immigrant (legal) to the United States and I served in the Italian army. I am a US citizen now.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:25 PM

80 posts, read 41,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
How do you know that millions would be condemned to death? How many Iraqi's have died due to the instability we have caused. Have you considered that maybe our pull out will bring stability back to the country? I grant you that it would take time and probably bloodshed, but it is their country. As long as we are in Iraq, then there will be instability there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections