Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 02:36 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why would/should any GOP candidate have to worry about changing demographics due to illegal immigration? Aren't all of our citizens supposed to respect our immigration laws regardless of race or ethnicity?
Because if you don't you run the risk of becoming the next political party to die. Look at the Federalist Party and the Whig Party. This can be you too Republicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 02:45 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I don't know about beating Hillary, but trailing in the Iowa nut job race, is good news for Jeb.
Yup.
The Iowa Republicans remind me of a murder of crows- they'll go for whatever shiny object attracts them the most at the moment. Iowa is losing whatever relevance it once had as an indicator of things to come in a Presidential election.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:51 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Being arrogant and calling your opponents, all of whom have their own fans, "the clown bus" isn't going to win any points or be very unifying.

If this is what Mr. Bush's plan is, I think he'll fail for sure and crash to defeat in 2016.
Jeb won't ever call the Clown Bus a clown bus. He's far too smart to make that mistake.

Nontheless, the Clown Bus exists, and we who aren't running for anything can call it for what it is with no consequences. Is it being arrogant, or is it simply being realistic? I guess that depends on an individual's point of view.

Personally, I would no sooner want to have a politician operating on my brain than a surgeon operating on my nation and it's future. Either occupation demands its own skills and levels of experience and judgement.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:44 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Parties that are not in sync with the demographics of the current century deserve to lose.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:59 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Parties that are not in sync with the demographics of the current century deserve to lose.
If you were advising the Republicans on how to reach out to African Americans or hispanics, what would you suggest they say in order to sweep through those constituencies like a knife through hot butter next fall?

Old 05-06-2015, 08:06 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,769,559 times
Quote:
If you were advising the Republicans on how to reach out to African Americans or hispanics, what would you suggest they say in order to sweep through those constituencies like a knife through hot butter next fall?
At this point, there's really nothing they can do. Republicans have shown us all who they are. They are the party of legalized discrimination, voter disenfranchisement, and out-of-control policing. Yes, the Democrats owned all this in the past, but they've proven for DECADES that they've seen the error or their ways. The Republicans are still pandering to white racists- and until that ends they have ZERO chance of getting the black or latino vote.

Do you REALLY think people will forgive and forget so quickly if ya'll simply pander in a different direction for a year or two? People don't TRUST ya'll. And for good reason. It'll take time and decisive action to remedy that- and I don't think Republicans have the heard to do it.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:07 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
It would be a long-term process. Start with passing Comprehensive Immigration Reform with a pathway to citizenship and stronger border control concurrently, and support DOJ investigations of killings of civilians by cops.

It will take several cycles (POTUS) from whenever the GOP stops alienating non-whites for a message to be believed and even then, only if action occurs to support the message. But until those actions start, the GOP is just digging itself a deeper hole in regards to viability to elect a POTUS.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:08 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Propose immigration reform that isn't self-deportation or deportation by force. Adopt more libertarian type stances towards decriminalization including drug laws.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:22 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,769,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Propose immigration reform that isn't self-deportation or deportation by force. Adopt more libertarian type stances towards decriminalization including drug laws.
That's what some are attempting via Rand Paul, and honestly I think that moving in this direction is their best chance at remaining viable on a national level.

That said, they still won't get MY vote. I don't cotton to wealth-worshiping boot-lickers. Moreover, Rand is a HIGHLY flawed candidate. He's an unapologetic racist- his pro-segregation views are on Youtube for all to see. A significant subset of Republicans are hoping for a political re-alignment pushing the Republican Party in a libertarian direction. And in time that may happen- I'd consider it a marginal improvement. But it won't be in 2016. And it won't happen with Rand as the leader.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:28 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
That's what some are attempting via Rand Paul, and honestly I think that moving in this direction is their best chance at remaining viable on a national level.

That said, they still won't get MY vote.

Maybe Dr. Paul isn't a candidate for you, what Republican could get your vote, and millions of others like you?

If they can't change and actually vanquish the Democrats, why should they bother at all?

Sort of pointless to spend a lot of money on a campaign, just to lose, wouldn't you say?

Might as well just close up shop, or at least withdraw from electoral politics until the people show they are ready for change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections