Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 01:36 PM

46,957 posts, read 25,990,037 times

Advertisements

The pyramid thing was entertaining, but come on now:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Carson
Are we sure political experience is what we need.(sic) Every signer of the Declaration of Independence had no elected office experience.
https://www.facebook.com/realbencars...49786315187839

That is, of course, not the case. Even a furriner like yours truly have heard of the colonial assemblies and the Continental Congress and while I would admittedly have to Google the exact names, Carson is clearly in the wrong here.

Here's just one:

John Adams

Quote:
John Adams: Admitted to Massachusetts Bar, 1761; Elected to Massachusetts Assembly, 1770; Attended First Continental Congress, 1774-'76; Signed Declaration of Independence, 1776;
Again, ignorance is one thing. If Carson was never curious and never looked it up, fine. But if he wants to use something this easily fact-checked as the premise for an argument, wouldn't it behoove him to check it out himself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 01:41 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Dane, I suspect Ben knows his audience. Larnin' isn't too important to folks who support guys like him. He didn't bother to look it up because he knew they wouldn't. Still, in a sea of ignorance, this statement is a standout.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:48 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,840,723 times
Perhaps he is taking a page from Obama's playbook.

Obama admits reference to Auschwitz was wrong | Reuters

Some Obama fabulism as well? « Hot Air

Obama Gaffe: "10,000" Died In Kan. Tornado - CBS News

Richard Cohen - Obama's Back Story

etc., etc.,

Old 11-05-2015, 02:59 PM

46,957 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Tu quoque, really?

Old 11-05-2015, 03:09 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,064 times
For accuracy's sake, what Carson actually wrote was:

Quote:
Every signer of the Declaration of Independence had no federal elected office experience.
Perhaps he thought his inclusion of the word "federal" would somehow serve him as a qualifier if he was called out.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Tu quoque, really?

Nope, just pointing out that every candidate, regardless of political party affiliation is capable of error, misstatements or outright fabrications. It's a nonissue, meant only to illicit the exact response received.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:29 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The pyramid thing was entertaining, but come on now

Scary - mostly because American voters are ready to give him the keys to the nation while knowing very little about the man's odd beliefs. And the fact that he's unclear about Cuba and immigration makes me shake my head that once again, Americans are polling that they're ready to vote for him. The man is applying for a job where knowledge of Cuba-American policy is one of the more important things to know.

Oops! Ben Carson stumbles on Cuba questions | OnPolitics

Old 11-05-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Scary - mostly because American voters are ready to give him the keys to the nation while knowing very little about the man's odd beliefs. And the fact that he's unclear about Cuba and immigration makes me shake my head that once again, Americans are polling that they're ready to vote for him. The man is applying for a job where knowledge of Cuba-American policy is one of the more important things to know.

Don't be scared, American voters rarely know much about who they are voting for, much less who is actually in office.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm5QIq-1U-0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRZZpk_9k8E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0SnIgOwZ3A#t=72

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw8WIia47WE

Old 11-05-2015, 04:40 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Dane, I suspect Ben knows his audience. Larnin' isn't too important to folks who support guys like him. He didn't bother to look it up because he knew they wouldn't. Still, in a sea of ignorance, this statement is a standout.
Learning is actually very important to those that support Dr. Carson. They actually read beyond the headlines. He has inspired many. He is probably the most successful and educated person running for the nomination. Do you need to know how to turn on "spell check" as where Dr. Carson and myself come from "larnin" isn't a word.

Also, he said "federal" so what part of that word don't you understand? Where you come from do they consider a state assembly to be a "federal" office? That isn't what they taught in Michigan!

Thread FAIL.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:50 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Carson is incredibly unimpressive.

The guy comes to Miami and goes to an Hispanic neighborhood, yet is totally ignorant regarding any issue related to Cuba. Sorry, but he is not only 'not ready for prime time', he is not even ready for daytime tv. I cannot believe anyone views him as a serious candidate.

"In the Herald interview, Carson appeared stumped by questions about the so-called wet-foot, dry-foot policy, which allows Cubans who reach U.S. soil to remain here, and about the Cuban Adjustment Act, which allows Cubans who arrive in the U.S. to apply for legal residency after 366 days. He was candid about not being up to speed.

“You’re going to have to explain to me exactly what you mean by that,” Carson said, asked about wet-foot, dry-foot. “I have to admit that I don’t know a great deal about that, and I don’t really like to comment until I’ve had a chance to study the issue from both sides.”

Cuba policy stumps Ben Carson in Florida | Miami Herald

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections