Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2015, 05:02 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
She was a resident of Canada- so now I can see if flying on a plane or on visit to see the falls- she went into labor- or military- -but she chose to live there - work there and have her home there.
I chose not to have my baby born in Texas and headed back to Fl. at 8/12 mo-- - OK Ok ---the wording mentions if born from an American mom, you are an American no matter why she is over seas.. but presidents are to be on US soil born ....?
doesnt matter where she was residing, she never gave up her US citizenship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
US citizens, yes. Being born a US citizen is not necessarily the same as being a natural born citizen. That's why the Constitutional Convention changed the requirement for POTUS from "born a citizen" to "natural born citizen."

And it's not hard to understand why given the events that precipitated the War of 1812 (impressment of dual national US citizens into service for a foreign military), and the fact that to this very day the US State Dept warns: "dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country. They are required to obey the laws of both countries. Either country has the right to enforce its laws"

The Founding Fathers were smart enough to recognize that having a POTUS and Commander in Chief that owes allegiance to a foreign country and has to obey the laws of a foreign country was a very bad idea. Why aren't you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I agree.

In the meantime, use some critical thinking skills...

Why are naturalized citizens ineligible for POTUS? Because a naturalized citizen once owed allegiance to a foreign government, with all that such entails (requirement to serve in the military, obey the foreign government's laws, etc.). Same is true of those who are born dual (or more) nationals. They either still do or once owed allegiance to a foreign government, with all that such entails.
you are right a naturalized US citizen did in fact immigrate from another country, and had ot give up their citizenship of that country to become a US citizen. but that also means they were NOT born to US citizens. cruz WAS born to a US citizen, which will make him eligible to be president. remember the mccain was born to US citizens, but was born in the panama canal zone, not a US territory or a US state, and he was eligible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 05:34 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,409,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
i've always been suspect about this claim. i find it hard to believe a person with the level of law education that cruz has, and knowledge of his canadian birth, never took the time to easily research canadian citizenship law.
Why would he need to, he does not live there or practice law there.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:52 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,577 times
It wouldn't matter if we had a supreme court ruling from last week on the issue.The losing side on here would just add supreme court bashing to their arguments,cry about judicial activism,scream about ignoring original intent,blah blah blah,on and on and on

Old 11-16-2015, 09:34 PM

26,584 posts, read 14,449,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
It wouldn't matter if we had a supreme court ruling from last week on the issue.The losing side on here would just add supreme court bashing to their arguments,cry about judicial activism,scream about ignoring original intent,blah blah blah,on and on and on
not me. in the unlikely scenario that the SCOTUS were to rule that NBC is defined as being born in the US to two US citizen parents and not being eligible for any other citizenship then i would accept that as the fact. if so motivated i might petition my congressmen for a constitutional amendment but i wouldn't whine about judicial activism.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
Why would he need to,.....
he wouldn't, but basic curiosity for a man born in canada about his citizenship status. especially a man with an advanced legal training. i was born in the US to resident alien parents and asked about my citizenship status in the second grade.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:46 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you are right a naturalized US citizen did in fact immigrate from another country, and had ot give up their citizenship of that country to become a US citizen. but that also means they were NOT born to US citizens. cruz WAS born to a US citizen, which will make him eligible to be president.
Sorry, but that's simply not true. Not sure why you insist on denying historical and legal facts.
Quote:
remember the mccain was born to US citizens, but was born in the panama canal zone, not a US territory or a US state, and he was eligible.
A case could be made that he was born in a U.S. occupied territory, but he probably shouldn't have been eligible.

Old 11-17-2015, 04:48 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,841,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
Why would he need to, he does not live there or practice law there.

Exactly, the Cruz family moved permanently to the US when Ted was 4 years old. His parents had no idea that Canadian Citizenship had been conferred up him at birth, so why would Cruz even question his citizenship?

Old 11-17-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
.... so why would Cruz even question his citizenship?
because he was born in canada and i find it extremely unlikely that someone could achieve the legal success that cruz has had without coming across the simple legal concept of jus soli.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:52 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,844,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Exactly, the Cruz family moved permanently to the US when Ted was 4 years old. His parents had no idea that Canadian Citizenship had been conferred up him at birth, so why would Cruz even question his citizenship?
And people are acting as though Cruz's parents were Canadian. For heaven's sake, they worked in the oil and gas industry for a few years, left and came back home to the USA when done.. Like you said, Ted was 4 yrs. old. He probably has no memories of Canada.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
And people are acting as though Cruz's parents were Canadian.
mom american, father was cuban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections