Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2016, 09:00 AM

26,584 posts, read 14,454,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I don't recall anybody saying it doesn't matter where he was born.
as i pointed out before there were many stating exactly that ( in 2008 and onward ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 09:00 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Weren't you one of those who made Obama's birthplace, not her mother's citizenship, central to his meeting the natural born test? If one US parent was enough why all this fight to prove he was born in Hawaii? I don't recall anybody saying it doesn't matter where he was born.
That is my position: if one is born here they are a citizen. But Republicans keep rehashing and reshaping the issue and maybe it is time that someone took this to the courts to decide once and for all.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I did not know Trump's mother was not a US citizen. That was Cruz' gift to the discussion last night.
misfire by cruz on this point. she naturalized 4 years before trump's birth. here's her naturalization receipt from the national archives:

http://www.wnd.com/images/maryannetr...ioncard600.jpg

Old 01-15-2016, 09:10 AM

8,420 posts, read 7,419,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
misfire by cruz on this point. she naturalized 4 years before trump's birth. here's her naturalization receipt from the national archives:

http://www.wnd.com/images/maryannetr...ioncard600.jpg
Ah, but the Birther nutters still will cling to the claim of "dual-citizenship".

Old 01-15-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Ah, but the Birther nutters still will cling to the claim of "dual-citizenship".
a large chunk of the birthers seem convinced that trump is just currently laying low. then, when he wins the presidency, will release the "universe shattering" evidence that vindicates all their beliefs against obama.

i doubt that they'll go after trump.

Last edited by wrecking ball; 01-15-2016 at 09:59 AM..

Old 01-15-2016, 09:24 AM

8,420 posts, read 7,419,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
a large chunk of the birthers seem convinced that trump is just currently laying low then, when he wins the presidency, will release the "universe shattering" evidence that vindicates all their beliefs against obama.

i doubt that they'll go after trump.
Yup, the Trump situation is a whole different complexion.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:48 AM

another challenge to cruz's eligibility has been filed in TX. unfortunately it looks to lack standing:

New Cruz lawsuit filed in Texas - Obama Conspiracy Theories

Old 01-15-2016, 09:48 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That is my position: if one is born here they are a citizen. But Republicans keep rehashing and reshaping the issue and maybe it is time that someone took this to the courts to decide once and for all.
Yes, but the requirement for Constitutional POTUS eligibility is "natural born citizen." And the man who originated the term, John Jay (a Founding Father and the first Chief Justice of the US), meant it to exclude foreigners from eligibility. Those born dual citizens, even if born in the US, are born foreigners, as well.

The problem with being born a dual (or more) citizen (US as well as foreign) is that such persons owe allegiance to multiple countries and are legally obligated to obey the laws of multiple countries, including any mandatory service in a foreign military. I've already posted the link where the US State Dept warns about the problems of conflicting/competing allegiance and legal obligations.

What happens when a foreign country impresses a born dual citizen POTUS into service for them, as they most certainly would have the legal right to do under international law?

That's what the Founding Fathers were trying to avoid with the 'natural born citizen' requirement. They wanted POTUS to have no split, dual, or otherwise compromised/competing allegiance from birth to prevent that possibility.

Pretty simple, really. And extremely reasonable to require a POTUS and the Commander in Chief of our military to have 100% allegiance to the U.S. from birth, with no competing/conflicting foreign claims on his/her allegiance or service.

To be clear: the problem is conflicting/competing allegiance at birth via dual (or more) citizenship, and a foreign country's valid legal right according to international law to enforce its laws upon its own citizens/subjects, worldwide.

And renouncing a foreign citizenship with which one is born is iffy. In times of war or conflict, that renunciation may not be recognized. That's what happened in the early 19th century to U.S. citizen men born in the U.S. to parents (fathers, given that historical era) who had been born British subjects before the U.S. gained independence. Even though those U.S.-born men had never stepped foot in England and had been U.S. citizens all their lives, the UK had the legal right under international law to impress them into service in the British Royal Navy because they were the progeny of those who had been born British subjects, and therefore were also British subjects themselves under British law.

That said... Congress had the chance in 2004 to define those with birth circumstances such as Cruz's "natural born citizens" for Constitutional Presidential eligibility purposes, but did not.

2004 Senate bill 2128.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:54 AM

“I mean he was a Canadian citizen! I don’t know how he can be a Senator and a Canadian citizen.”

- Donald Trump

TRUMP GOES ALL IN: I don’t know how Cruz can be a Senator and a Canadian citizen » The Right Scoop -

Old 01-15-2016, 09:54 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
How? British citizenship couldn't descend from one's mother in 1946.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections