Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2016, 09:25 PM

35,080 posts, read 17,043,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
If I am not mistaken, Cruz was top of his class in Harvard Law school, and has argued successfully before the SCOTUS on several occasions.
I seriously doubt he has not vetted himself on this issue to make sure he is eligible to run.

He is not my cup of tea, but is growing on me because of his consistent message. Heck even Bernie Sanders has been growing on me. Not because of his political views, but he seems genuine in his positions & views.
I can respect that a lot more than some dishonest political chameleon like Hillary.

`
I am actually a registered Democrat and plan on voting for Bernie Sanders. Ultimately I hope to vote for Cruz. So we may be on the same page. The vectors point to Cruz being the nominee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 04:27 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
What you are doing is giving your interpretation of history, and opining on how your interpretation would affect Cruz's legal status.
Not true, but let's look at the actual laws on the issue. The 1790 Act was repealed. And the 2004 Senate bill seeking to re-establish NBC status for those born abroad to a US citizen parent failed.

There's simply significant legal precedence that Cruz is ineligible.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
Talk about ignorant,you clip the part off my sentence where I specifically said ......."I don't really believe that " and then act like I believe it and call me ignorant....of course I can edit your posts in a quote too.Look Informed Consent just said Donald Trump isn't Qualified!!!!He got British citizenship through his mother!!!
Oh, good grief. Please educate yourself. Trump didn't acquire British citizenship via his mother. British Nationality Law at the time did not allow it.

What's even worse is Cruz stupidly implied Trump's mother would be a problem for Trump's eligibility during the debate last night, so his credibility is shot.

Trump was born a US citizen only. Cruz was born a US, Canadian, and possibly even a Cuban citizen, as well. That's the problem: compromised legal obligations under centuries old well-established international law. That's why the US-born children of formerly British subject fathers who were naturalized as US citizens when the US became a country were impressed into service in the British Royal Navy in the early 19th century. According to British law, those children were also British subjects, being the progeny of those born British subjects.

Laws matter. History matters.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
Impressment of American sailors wasn't accepted under international law.
Based on what? Even the State Department admits such obligations are legal:

Quote:
Claims of other countries on dual national U.S. nationals may conflict with U.S. law, and dual nationality may limit U.S. Government efforts to assist nationals abroad. The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance.

However, dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country. They are required to obey the laws of both countries. Either country has the right to enforce its laws, particularly if the person later travels there.
Dual Nationality

In early 19th century UK, impressment was upheld by the British courts (Rex v. Broadfoot, Rex v. Wade, etc.). So, yes, as impressment was a legally recognized and upheld obligation, the US citizens the UK deemed to be British subjects by their own Nationality Law would have to comply.

What happens when a foreign country similarly impresses a born dual citizen POTUS into service for them, as they most certainly would have the legal right to do under international law?

That's what the Founding Fathers were trying to avoid with the 'natural born citizen' requirement. They wanted POTUS to have no split, dual, or otherwise compromised/competing allegiance from birth to prevent that possibility.

Pretty simple, really. And extremely reasonable to require a POTUS and the Commander in Chief of our military to have 100% allegiance to the U.S. from birth, with no competing/conflicting foreign claims on his/her allegiance or service.

To be clear: the problem is conflicting/competing allegiance at birth via dual (or more) citizenship, and a foreign country's valid legal right according to international law to enforce its laws upon its own citizens/subjects, worldwide.

Renouncing a foreign citizenship with which one is born is iffy. In times of war or conflict, that renunciation may not be recognized. That's what happened in the early 19th century to U.S. citizen men born in the U.S. to parents (fathers, given that historical era) who had been born British subjects before the U.S. gained independence. Even though those U.S.-born men had never stepped foot in England and had been U.S. citizens all their lives, the UK had the legal right under international law to impress them into service in the British Royal Navy because they were the progeny of those who had been born British subjects, and therefore were also British subjects themselves under British law.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Good one.

I have already shown that there exists replacement legislation for the 1790 statute.
Where does such replacement legislation say "natural born citizen?" Please cite it and post a link.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I am actually a registered Democrat and plan on voting for Bernie Sanders. Ultimately I hope to vote for Cruz. So we may be on the same page. The vectors point to Cruz being the nominee.
Really? Cruz is anti-abortion and anti-same sex marriage. Did you not hear him complain about those New Yorker attributes in last night's debate?

Quote:
"Following the Supreme Court’s decision nationalizing same-sex marriage, Cruz told NPR that only the four states listed in the Supreme Court case (Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio and Tennessee) must abide by the ruling and that other states should ignore it. The Texas senator also said he now wants to abolish lifetime appointment to the court and subject justices to periodic election instead. Cruz believes marriage is between a man and a woman and that states should define the term “marriage†for themselves.

On abortion, the Republican lawmaker has called the Supreme Court’s Roe v. Wade decision legalizing the procedure a “dark anniversary†but has not said whether he would specifically work to overturn it. Cruz has staunchly supported bans on any taxpayer funding of abortion and bans of so-called partial birth abortion."
What does Ted Cruz believe? Where the candidate stands on 10 issues | PBS NewsHour

That's who you want to vote for?

Old 01-15-2016, 05:32 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,252,674 times
I did not know Trump's mother was not a US citizen. That was Cruz' gift to the discussion last night. By the standards of many birther purists that does make Trump ineligible as well. Maybe it is time for a SCOTUS ruling on this. It is going to keep coming up in a nation of immigrants.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I did not know Trump's mother was not a US citizen. That was Cruz' gift to the discussion last night. By the standards of many birther purists that does make Trump ineligible as well.
Trump's mother couldn't pass her British citizenship to Trump. Only British fathers could do so at the time. Trump was born a US citizen only. Cruz was born a US, Canadian, and possibly even a Cuban citizen, as well.

The problem the Founding Fathers were trying to prevent by inserting John Jay's "natural born citizen" requirement suggestion is the competing/conflicting legal obligations of such an at birth citizenship status. Imagine a compromised POTUS and Commander in Chief being impressed into service for a foreign government/military. And it would be perfectly legally valid for the foreign country to do so. The US State Department warns about that:
Quote:
"Each country has its own nationality laws based on its own policy. Persons may have dual nationality by automatic operation of different laws rather than by choice.

"...The US Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. Claims of other countries on dual national U.S. nationals may conflict with US law, and dual nationality may limit US Government efforts to assist nationals abroad. The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance.

However, dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country. They are required to obey the laws of both countries. Either country has the right to enforce its laws, particularly if the person later travels there."
Dual Nationality

Old 01-15-2016, 07:25 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,284,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I did not know Trump's mother was not a US citizen. That was Cruz' gift to the discussion last night. By the standards of many birther purists that does make Trump ineligible as well. Maybe it is time for a SCOTUS ruling on this. It is going to keep coming up in a nation of immigrants.
Weren't you one of those who made Obama's birthplace, not her mother's citizenship, central to his meeting the natural born test? If one US parent was enough why all this fight to prove he was born in Hawaii? I don't recall anybody saying it doesn't matter where he was born.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:54 AM

8,420 posts, read 7,422,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Weren't you one of those who made Obama's birthplace, not her mother's citizenship, central to his meeting the natural born test? If one US parent was enough why all this fight to prove he was born in Hawaii? I don't recall anybody saying it doesn't matter where he was born.
The federal law that recognizes citizenship at birth for foreign born children of U.S. citizens contains a requirement for a parent's physical presence within the borders of the United States or its possessions. Ted Cruz's mother met those requirements, but Barack Obama's mother failed to meet those requirements.

If it could be proven that Barack Obama was born in Kenya (or at least not born within the United States), then by law he wasn't a U.S. citizen at birth. That's why there was such disbelief over his birth certificate by the Birther community - they were wishing with all their hearts and souls that the BC was a forgery. The preponderance of evidence shows that Barack Obama was born in Hawaii, making him a natural born citizen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections