Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 11:12 AM

5,381 posts, read 2,842,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Cruz is a Dominionist whoes own father and several pastors have called an "anointed one" that will eliminate regulations and bring about a great transfer of wealth that will make way for Christ's return and usher in a "Christian America." And lest you think that I'm making that up...

That's too much even for conservative Southern Baptists.

I personally think that a candidate's religion should not be an issue. But when one's theology centers on breaking down the nation in order to be G*d's personal banker (because He needs one for some reason), and reshape it into a one where you;re religion reigns supreme... Well, you better believe that candidates religion is going to be a problem for a lot of people.

Yes of course it will be a problem. Just like the skin color of a president is a problem for some people, etc.

Bigots and Tinfoil hat wearers are obviously going to vote based on their innate hatred of certain people, but that hardly translates to an entire race or religious group.

Keep trying to fear monger about Christians and Baptists, I am sure that will change tons of people's minds and realities to your way of thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 11:17 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,961,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Yes of course it will be a problem. Just like the skin color of a president is a problem for some people, etc.

Bigots and Tinfoil hat wearers are obviously going to vote based on their innate hatred of certain people, but that hardly translates to an entire race or religious group.

Keep trying to fear monger about Christians and Baptists, I am sure that will change tons of people's minds and realities to your way of thinking.
I was a born and raised Southern Baptist. Cruz can call himself whatever, but his dominionist, end-time banker "anointed one" fantasies aren't in any version of the Baptist Faith and Message that I've ever seen. It's cultish at best and outright heretical when compared to mainline Protestant theological beliefs. But if you want to compare someone's chosen religious beliefs with another person's race... Well, that's your fallacy to make.

So, unless Cruz suddenly takes the JFK approach to how religion should influence the American Presidency, his religion will be a big issue for Americans as they learn more about him.
Transcript of Kennedy's Speech on His Religion

Old 01-29-2016, 02:21 PM

752 posts, read 567,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I think Cruz was finished when the news came out about him "forgetting": http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/14/us...2012.html?_r=0 and http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/16/us...n-in-2012.html

When you are pandering the Christian vote, looking like a liar doesn't sit well."
I think that depends on what kind of Christian we're talking about. Here are select sectarian demographics for the ten most- and least-corrupt states:

CORRUPTION RANK .... %EVANGELICAL. %M-L PROTESTANT. %CATHOLIC. %UNAFFILIATED

National AVG. .......... 25% .......... 15% .......... 21% ........ 23%

1. Mississippi ......... 41% .......... 12% ........... 4% ........ 14%
2. Louisiana ........... 27% ........... 8% .......... 26% ........ 13%
3. Tennessee ........... 52% .......... 13% ........... 6% ........ 14%
4. Illinois ............ 20% .......... 16% .......... 28% ........ 22%
5. Pennsylvania ........ 19% .......... 23% .......... 24% ........ 21%
6. Alabama ............. 49% .......... 13% ........... 7% ........ 12%
7. Alaska .............. 22% .......... 12% .......... 16% ........ 31%
8. South Dakota ........ 25% .......... 32% .......... 22% ........ 18%
9. Kentucky ............ 49% .......... 11% .......... 10% ........ 22%
10. Florida ............ 24% .......... 14% .......... 21% ........ 24%
---
41. Kansas ............. 31% .......... 24% .......... 18% ........ 20%
42. Colorado ........... 26% .......... 15% .......... 16% ........ 29%
43. New Hampshire ...... 13% .......... 16% .......... 26% ........ 36%
44. Utah ................ 7% ........... 6% ........... 5% ........ 22%
45. Vermont ............ 11% .......... 19% .......... 22% ........ 37%
46. Iowa ............... 28% .......... 30% .......... 18% ........ 21%
47. Nebraska ........... 25% .......... 24% .......... 23% ........ 20%
48. Minnesota .......... 19% .......... 29% .......... 22% ........ 20%
49. Washington ......... 25% .......... 13% .......... 17% ........ 32%
50. Oregon ............. 29% .......... 13% .......... 12% ........ 31%

The only pattern I can discern is that the increased presence of evangelical Christianity correlates with higher levels of corruption, whereas a more religiously unaffiliated population correlates with lower levels:

EVANGELICAL RANK .. CORRUPTION RANK

1. Tennessee ............ #3
2. Alabama .............. #6
2. Kentucky ............. #9
4. Oklahoma ............ #10
5. Arkansas ............ #29
6. Mississippi .......... #1
7. West Virginia ....... #18
8. Georgia ............. #19
9. Missouri ............ #15
10. North Carolina ..... #35
10. South Carolina ..... #14

UNAFFILIATED RANK . CORRUPTION RANK

1. Vermont ............. #45
2. New Hampshire ....... #43
3. Massachusetts ....... #25
3. Washington .......... #49
5. Alaska ............... #6
5. Maine ............... #32
5. Oregon .............. #50
8. Montana ............. #17
9. Colorado ............ #42
10. Nevada ............. #30

So it would seem that evangelical Christians are pretty sanguine when it comes to liars — at least relative to those with no religious affiliation. (The followers of Jerry Falwell more credulous than the fans of Richard Dawkins?! Who could've imagined ...)

Old 01-29-2016, 02:24 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Quote:
I think you are confused about what the definition of a shameless self-promoter is. If you look the phrase up in the dictionary, you will see a picture of "The Donald"
So, they're alike in more ways than one.

Old 01-29-2016, 02:30 PM

752 posts, read 567,124 times
Quote:
"So, unless Cruz suddenly takes the JFK approach to how religion should influence the American Presidency, his religion will be a big issue for Americans as they learn more about him.
Transcript of Kennedy's Speech on His Religion"
What Kennedy said in Houston is anathema to today's Republican Party.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I was a born and raised Southern Baptist. Cruz can call himself whatever, but his dominionist, end-time banker "anointed one" fantasies aren't in any version of the Baptist Faith and Message that I've ever seen. It's cultish at best and outright heretical when compared to mainline Protestant theological beliefs. But if you want to compare someone's chosen religious beliefs with another person's race... Well, that's your fallacy to make.

So, unless Cruz suddenly takes the JFK approach to how religion should influence the American Presidency, his religion will be a big issue for Americans as they learn more about him.
Transcript of Kennedy's Speech on His Religion

You have a predetermined bias against Cruz, so everything you hear from or about him you seem to twist into something you have projected upon him. Sorry, but this issue is completely yours and has nothing to do with Cruz or his religious upbringing. The fact that you claim you were "born and raised a Southern Baptist" yet call Southern Baptists outright cultish and heretical seems more like your opinion based on your prejudices and not something that Cruz' outward religious presence engenders in most people.

Cruz has NEVER stated that he expects to turn America into the United Baptist Church of America and as a convert to Judaism, I have never heard anything from him or about him that would lead any competent and rational human being to believe that this Constitutional Scholar has ANY intention whatever to undermine the Constitution and lead a Theocratic Revolution to overturn the Republic as a martyr for the Southern Baptists. You may be a very nice person, but your irrational fear of Ted Cruz and Southern Baptists is delusional and borders on what people who experience psychotic breaks with reality would opine.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drishmael View Post
What Kennedy said in Houston is anathema to today's Republican Party.
And you are stating that as a long time member and staunch supporter of the GOP, I am sure!

Old 01-29-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
So, they're alike in more ways than one.
You think so? I really see The Donald and Obama as more alike than any other candidates could be.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:33 AM

2,055 posts, read 1,449,700 times
Quote:
You think so? I really see The Donald and Obama as more alike than any other candidates could be.

Yeah ... but The Donald's wife is much easier on the eyes.

El Nox

Old 01-30-2016, 11:29 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
BTW, LauraC, The Conservative Treehouse is a cheering section for Donald Trump.
That doesn't make them wrong. It just encourages more digging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections