Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2016, 03:38 PM

26,507 posts, read 15,084,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Then you don't know what you're talking about. It almost an entire paragraph lifted from Michelle Obama's speech. There is a part that is almost 40 words long that is verbatim word for word copied from the original speech.

Again, I dare you to write something that is almost 40 words long that is also verbatim word for word the same as Michelle Obama's speech but you can't cheat and google her speeches.

So let me get this straight:

Melania Trump (2016): You work hard for what you want in life, that your word is your bond and you do what you say and keep your promise, that you treat people with respect. Because we want our children in this nation to know that the only limit to your achievements is the strength of your dreams and your willingness to work for them.

You: Bravo!!!! So original!!! She sounded genuine!!!

Michelle Obama (2008): You work hard for what you want in life, that your word is your bond, that you do what you say you're going to do, that you treat people with dignity and respect. Because we want our children in this nation to know that the only limit to your achievements is the strength of your dreams and your willingness to work for them.

You: Boooohooo!!! She's lying!!!

The irony is lost on you isn't it??
Yep...

The odds of them being that similar and not copies is pretty remote...

Can't dress this whopper up.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:43 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,132,993 times
Well, it appears that Michele "borrowed" it too for those obsessed with such nonsense one way or the other:

Michelle Obama Copied Alinsky in Speech Melania Trump Plagiarized

So, isn't it amazing the number of hits this thread got. Maybe we are coming to the end of who we were.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:43 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,720,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
Im just over the double standard.

FLOTUS: Wears sleeveless dress, RESPONSE: She is so underdressed, she is so casual, that is beneath the dignity of the white house.

Mrs. Trump: Poses nude RESPONSE: Crickets

If Mrs. Obama, had plagiarized a majority of another persons speech, conservatives/republicans would lose their minds.

Mrs. Trump does it, and somehow its a conspiracy, its not a big deal, its only a FEW words. Melania lied to Matt Lauer and said she wrote the speech, and not a peep.

I dont care in the grand scheme, but the hypocrisy is awful.
The hypocrisy is off the charts. And the very idea that the Trumps, who have attacked President Obama for eight years, would plagiarize from Michelle Obama? Who would even imagine they would have the nerve to do it? They owe the Obama's a HUGE APOLOGY.

Recommendation: If Trump can't think of what to say on his own (as seen by ghostwriters and cribbing for Trump University) perhaps he should steal from a Republican.

Because if Michelle Obama had taken her speech from Laura Bush, Republicans would be at DEFCON 5.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:45 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,474,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
that's a talking point straight from paul manafort ( or did you actually break down her speech into percentages? )

IKR?

Read here:

FAQ

Re: "DOES IT MATTER HOW MUCH WAS COPIED?"

Bottom line, it doesn't matter if it was 'just a little bit' as it were. Just like one cannot be ' a little bit pregnant'.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
I'm starting to have second thoughts about this. Perhaps when she told Matt Lauer that she wrote the speech with a little help it's really just 'rich people code' for "I didn't do a flipping thing".

Think about it. It's like a TV commercial when a wealthy woman holds a 100 guest dinner party and gets a compliment for the dessert.

"Melania, this baby seal pudding is fabulous, who made it?"
"I did, with a little help"
*wink* *ding* *smiles - little flash of light from her teeth*

Announcer: "Baby Seal Pudding from Clubbo... Everyone will think you made it yourself"

Yup, the rich are different than us.

IKR? Except, poor baby seal-kin.

23,990 posts, read 15,091,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
No. Just very easily manipulated. Your continued support of corrupt politicians is evidence of this.

Watch Clinton's polls. All of your brilliance and self-aggrandizement has so far got her no where. In fact she is losing to the latest polls. Keep up the good work.

Heck, who am I to critique such brilliant people. You nominate a corrupt politician. Now reap what you sow.
Sure wish Apple would get to work on that middle finger emoji.

FYI, I have never voted for Billary and do not intend to vote for hr now.

You must be a sock puppet trying a new schtick. It is not working. You, too, need a better writer.

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
It just sounded like something a lot of people say. Pretty generic speech about values taught to young people.

I don't know about you but I don't teach my sons to plagiarize.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
Last night, after Melania gave her speech a panel of news persons on CNN commented on it, and reference was made that Melania’s speech wasn’t nearly as good as Michelle Obama’s and that it lacked substance (and that she should have talked about this or that...). LOL that it’s the same (or very very similar) speech. Even if Melania’s speech was verbatim of Michelle’s, they would complain about the speech content. I'm sure if you go back in history and read all first lady speeches, there will be a lot of repeated words from prior first ladies. Geez, Obama used the same words during his 2008 presidential announcement as John Edwards did in 2004. Didn’t hear any complaints about that.
Fail. Already mentioned and discussed.

"Mr. Sulu, deflectors off!"

Old 07-19-2016, 03:49 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Well, it appears that Michele "borrowed" it too for those obsessed with such nonsense one way or the other:

Michelle Obama Copied Alinsky in Speech Melania Trump Plagiarized

So, isn't it amazing the number of hits this thread got. Maybe we are coming to the end of who we were.
Breitbart is misrepresenting "plagiarism". Which is pretty pathetic for what is supposed to be a journalistic endeavor. The idea that Alinsky was conveying has nothing to do with the idea that Michelle Obama was conveying. And six words does not a paragraph make.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:50 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
There are 91 pages of posts on here about nothing and you are criticizing me. You people have to be crazy. There are important things to think about in this world but where every word came from in a speech is not one of them.

I am seeing pure jealousy. She's beautiful, graceful and acts kind and gentle. You can't stand it because you can do absolutely nothing about it but run your mouths.
Deflection?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections