Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2016, 12:25 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,828,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
We need to ignore any new polling that includes Sat/Sun. Weekend polls skew to the right. Clinton +5 seems to be about the final number. Add a point or two for under-reporting dem vote like the did in 08 and 12 and you get the picture. HRC wins. It would not surprise me in the least if she does a little better than that even and tops Obama '08. I always figured she would, but then came the Comey knee-cap.
Because "the right" is home from work on Sat/Sun...the left is home all week.

Old 11-06-2016, 12:43 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,298,736 times
From the NBC/WSJ Poll that had Clinton leading by 4

Divide Among White Voters

College-Educated White Men: Trump 47% Clinton 46%
Non-College White Mn: Trump 64% Clinton 26%
College-Educated White Women : Clinton 57% Trump 36%
Non-College White Women: Trump 57% Clinton 33%

Old 11-06-2016, 01:30 PM

34,065 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
From the NBC/WSJ Poll that had Clinton leading by 4

Divide Among White Voters

College-Educated White Men: Trump 47% Clinton 46%
Non-College White Mn: Trump 64% Clinton 26%
College-Educated White Women : Clinton 57% Trump 36%
Non-College White Women: Trump 57% Clinton 33%

Interesting. I believe college grads comprise 30% of US adult population. Non college grads would be about 70%.

Old 11-06-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Interesting. I believe college grads comprise 30% of US adult population. Non college grads would be about 70%.
True, but college voters share of votes casts is out of their proportion in the population. In 2012, when white non-Hispanics comprised 72% of total votes cast, college grads cast half (36%) of that vote. College voters are gaining on average 1% of votes cast while non-college whites are losing on average 3% of voter share per POTUS. 2012 was the first year the college whites were able to tie the total vote of non-college whites. With Trump's emphasis on non-college whites it will be interesting to see if non-college white share of total votes casts rises, reversing the current Trent, at least temporarily.

Mapping the 2016 Electorate: Demographics Don't Guarantee a Democratic White House

Old 11-06-2016, 01:47 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
True, but college voters share of votes casts is out of their proportion in the population. In 2012, when white non-Hispanics comprised 72% of total votes cast, college grads cast half (36%) of that vote. College voters are gaining on average 1% of votes cast while non-college whites are losing on average 3% of voter share per POTUS. 2012 was the first year the college whites were able to tie the total vote of non-college whites. With Trump's emphasis on non-college whites it will be interesting to see if non-college white share of total votes casts rises, reversing the current Trent, at least temporarily.

Mapping the 2016 Electorate: Demographics Don't Guarantee a Democratic White House
To me, the most interesting thing about college-educated vs non-college-educated voters is that this election the college-educated are voting D instead of R. It will be interesting to see whether this phenomenon is unique to Trump or whether it will become a long-term trend.

Old 11-06-2016, 02:10 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,711,454 times
Two days in a row Clinton is climbing in 538's projection. I'm breathing a little easier. And news that Clinton has been cleared of all criminal suspicions with regard to the emails matter is going to help further.

Old 11-06-2016, 02:14 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,288,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Harry Enten at 538 has a new article analyzing the Nevada early vote. As I read the article I kept expecting him to address Hispanic undersampling but he never mentions it. To me that's the elephant in the room: in some states could this be a Hispanic wave election?

Here in California registration has surged by 1.2 million since 2012, consisting of +750k Dems, -300k Reps, +900k Indies, -150k other. Most of this surge in the last 45 days. Evidence of the Hispanic wave is that the largest registration surges happened in Los Angeles, Imperial, Kern and San Joaquin counties, areas with large Hispanic populations.

If there's a Hispanic wave in California then would it not also be expected in Nevada and Arizona, perhaps even Texas? And if the polling in those states all undersample Hispanics then there may be some surprises on Election Day.

[ BTW if these registration trends hold by 2020 the Repubs will be a 3rd party in California, with Dems first, Independents second, Repubs third.]
https://twitter.com/Redistrict/statu...15884390748160

Old 11-06-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Trump is even in Minnesota today. That's how bad it has gotten for Crooked.
No, he's there because he needs to break a blue state to win. Only issue is he should be camping in one or two states and not trying the 50 state tour. It's also hard to flip states that you never really sunk the resources into either.

Old 11-06-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
To me, the most interesting thing about college-educated vs non-college-educated voters is that this election the college-educated are voting D instead of R. It will be interesting to see whether this phenomenon is unique to Trump or whether it will become a long-term trend.
It's probably like VA and CO. It was always going to happen (Them becoming reliably blue) but this election exacerbated the process.

Old 11-06-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
True, but the white college vote has been more Democratic than the white non-college vote for a very long time. Whether the white college vote actually becomes Democratic is debatable, but as long as the most Republican demographic ( white non-college) continues to shrink on average -3% per POTUS, while white college increases on average by +1% (and is less Republican than the white non-college voters they're replacing) and total minority increases +2% (and voting 70% and up Democratic), the bottom line isn't pretty for the GOP.

Even if white college on average remain nominally Republican, it's not a sustainable situation long term for the Republican Party. If white college actually switch to permanently Democratic, it just brings the day of reckoning a little sooner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections