Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 05:47 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,950,706 times

Advertisements

William Shakespeare: Men should be what they seem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 05:50 PM

13,392 posts, read 45,106,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
This afternoon, CNN has been saying that Oprah belonged to this church for two years and then quit. She won't comment on her reasons for leaving. Geez, perhaps Oprah has more sense and savvy than Obama.
Has she denounced and rejected Obama yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
Sounds like the reverand likes to dig at old wounds in this country and WANTS racial unrest..hate..suffering..
This might be hard for you to relate to, but I don't think all those wounds are old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Winnie, the nation needs Hope and Change more than ever.

That the hatefulness of Jeremiah Wright has grievously wounded the Obama campaign, and dimmed the aspirations of young people and African-Americans everywhere, is hardly a cause for celebration, since it appears to have condemned our country to another generation or two of cynicism and bitterness.
I agree that it is not a time for celebration.
I could vote for either Ms Clinton or Obama.
I take no pleasure in the mud-slinging going on, and I do not think these sorry distractions help our nation.
We can't move forward if we're tussling like second graders in the back seat on a long car trip.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:53 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,547,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
William Shakespeare: Men should be what they seem.
William Shakespeare: "All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players." My version: The world is my stage and I will play accordingly-of course to the best of my GOOD!!!

Old 03-17-2008, 06:08 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,102,748 times
100 years ago my family came here and my great-grandfather was told that no $%&^$# (Italian) would ever hold a government job in NYC. My great - grandmother and her daughter were pressed into a sweatshop in the garment district of NYC working 16 hours a day 6 days a week. My grandmother was 8 when she was forced to leave school to work - the boss demanded she'd had enough "education" and he needed another worker.

Other immigrants to this country had the same experiences. How many shall we drudge up through the years? If you think blacks were the only ones to be discriminated against you need help and quick. Talk to the old immigrants in the big eastern cities. No, it wasn't slavery. But working 16 hours a day for a penny an hour with the windows barred, having landlords and landowners refusing to sell/rent you property, being refused jobs based on your accent and place of birth...ain't exactly a glowing example of freedom.

What else should we drudge up? Women who couldn't vote even when blacks could? Indians who were enslaved, killed by smallpox and forced into camps? Chinese who died as slaves building our railway? Japanese who were put into US camps??

I'm sure we could get everyone in this country to hate everyone else...if we tried real hard. Thought we were working past that.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:33 PM

27,223 posts, read 46,881,443 times
Quote:
100 years ago my family came here and my great-grandfather was told that no $%&^$# (Italian) would ever hold a government job in NYC. My great - grandmother and her daughter were pressed into a sweatshop in the garment district of NYC working 16 hours a day 6 days a week. My grandmother was 8 when she was forced to leave school to work - the boss demanded she'd had enough "education" and he needed another worker.

Other immigrants to this country had the same experiences. How many shall we drudge up through the years? If you think blacks were the only ones to be discriminated against you need help and quick. Talk to the old immigrants in the big eastern cities. No, it wasn't slavery. But working 16 hours a day for a penny an hour with the windows barred, having landlords and landowners refusing to sell/rent you property, being refused jobs based on your accent and place of birth...ain't exactly a glowing example of freedom.

What else should we drudge up? Women who couldn't vote even when blacks could? Indians who were enslaved, killed by smallpox and forced into camps? Chinese who died as slaves building our railway? Japanese who were put into US camps??

I'm sure we could get everyone in this country to hate everyone else...if we tried real hard. Thought we were working past that.
You hit the nail on the head, and that is a huge issue. What Mel Gibson said about Jews was soon old news since the Jewish community doesn't make too much of one person saying something very stupid and painful. There are more examples but when a white person says something about a black person it is made out as if the world comes to an end, but when it is the other way around we must think about their feelings and slavery. That is the most stupidest thing I ever heard because if they keep doing that it will never end and now the will feel it even longer by a large group cheering against America and celebrating as if the won the lotery. I have been writing the last few days that I don't understand why Ophrah left this church and Obama didn't. So anything Obama has to say about this issue is not close to believable. How much charisma he has is over shaduwed by his empty hot air speeches and facts showing what he is all about. Too bad, he could have been a new face in the race, but now it is just waiting for him to pull out. I would never vote for him but like a good healthy discussion but now there is not even a discussion possible because there is too much going on with the people he is related too.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:43 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,868,697 times
Quote:
If I walked into a church and these messages were being spewed I would get up mid "sermon" and leave..not to return. Obama did not. That is the weakest character, the most sniveling kind of snake there is.
It sounds like your church never got to "Judge not lest thou be Judged" or did you walk out of that too?

Old 03-17-2008, 07:56 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,393,774 times
Quote:
God D*M America? That's not hope Yeledaf. People deserve to know the truth BEFORE they elect this man!

I cannot grieve for something that was never there....this man was a fake with fake promises tied to people with old agendas of hate..and that is the real tragedy.

If I walked into a church and these messages were being spewed I would get up mid "sermon" and leave..not to return. Obama did not. That is the weakest character, the most sniveling kind of snake there is.
While urging you not to confuse the words and beliefs of Reverend Wright and Senator Obama, I am willing to concede your point that the failure of Senator Obama to reject the messages of hate issuing forth from this so-called "African" preacher early on, and put as much distance between himself and this so-called "church", is a serious error in judgement.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:36 PM

1,613 posts, read 2,644,168 times
Quote:

I think we are trying to work past it. Think about it like this...there are still people alive over the past 40 or 50 years when our countries history was not so much at a high point. Those people just can't forget what happened to them. Along the same lines, there are people from the same time who may have participated in events againts civil rights who i'm sure also can't forget what happened to them.

Things are getting better as time goes on and that there are whole generations that never had the same bad experiences 40-50 years ago. However, it's still going to take time to heal the wounds of the people that were alive during that time. Hopefully when 100 years passed as in the example you gave for your family, things will be even better.

At least I hope so!

Old 03-17-2008, 08:46 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,868,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
I think we are trying to work past it. Think about it like this...there are still people alive over the past 40 or 50 years when our countries history was not so much at a high point. Those people just can't forget what happened to them. Along the same lines, there are people from the same time who may have participated in events againts civil rights who i'm sure also can't forget what happened to them.

Things are getting better as time goes on and that there are whole generations that never had the same bad experiences 40-50 years ago. However, it's still going to take time to heal the wounds of the people that were alive during that time. Hopefully when 100 years passed as in the example you gave for your family, things will be even better.

At least I hope so!
Yes. People who lived during the times of Jim Crow will obviously have a different perspective. People who heard of the Tuskegee Experiment are going to have a little less faith in government than those who believe the government is all-good, all-kind, all-wonderful. People who were not allowed into many restaurants simply because of the color of their skin, and whose government forced them to sit in the back of the bus and use different water fountains, will have a somewhat different view than those who have never faced discrimination nor institutionalized racism.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:51 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,102,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It sounds like your church never got to "Judge not lest thou be Judged" or did you walk out of that too?
I never claimed to be religious, nor am I running for public office. Take it as you will.
Not twisting this thread into why I left my church..but it was over moral objections to what was being taught to its people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections