Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2017, 06:50 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
And they still don't want her! How were the cupcakes?
Honestly, how can you say no one wanted Clinton as president when almost 66 million people (including myself) voted for her? Do those people not count to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 06:55 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
One year ago I felt hopeful. I believed a person with a strong business background could effect the kind of change I was hoping for. I held no animosity for past president's, and with my hope I had doubt due to Trump's weak political background. I was partially excited for how things turned out because as a liberal leaning independent Hillary for me was a turn-off. I had also wished that Biden didn't have his family issues and had run for POTUS because I felt he would have been the best.

That's how I felt a year ago.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:07 AM

764 posts, read 234,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Trump has been in office for a year now. Can you tell me what amazing things he has done for you.
Neil Gorsuch. The supreme court was my most important voting criteria. I believed then as I do now that the president in this election cycle would shape the Supreme Court for a generation.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:20 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,083,424 times
I feel very good about the election.

My main reason for voting was the Supreme Court, but almost equal to that is the appointments to federal and appellate courts. The President nominates judges and the Senate must confirm them to be appointed.

Many people do not realize how important lower courts are and that they have the final say in most cases that do not get reviewed by the Supreme Court.

I think that if Clinton had won she would have of course got her Supreme Court nominee and shifted the court leftward. Not to mention all of her lower court nominees. I think Clinton's election would have shifted America to the left socially and economically that it would have been too much to overcome.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:22 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
I feel very good about the election.

My main reason for voting was the Supreme Court, but almost equal to that is the appointments to federal and appellate courts. The President nominates judges and the Senate must confirm them to be appointed.

Many people do not realize how important lower courts are and that they have the final say in most cases that do not get reviewed by the Supreme Court.

I think that if Clinton had won she would have of course got her Supreme Court nominee and shifted the court leftward. Not to mention all of her lower court nominees. I think Clinton's election would have shifted America to the left socially and economically that it would have been too much to overcome.
Per the bolded, what's wrong with that? Do you realize that half the people in this country don't want to live with social conservatism?

Old 11-09-2017, 07:24 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
One year ago tonight Trump pulled off the most amazing come from behind win since the New England Patriots beat the Atlanta Falcons in the Super Bowl.

Looking back on the most improbable win in politics ever I am still amazed that Donald Trump is our President.
When you think about the premise that an average citizen albeit a rich one, with no political experience at all but with a genuine concern for America could take on 17 career politicians and beat them to the nomination and then beat out the most experienced, most deserving person since George Washington who for many in the media was just going through the motions of the election before her coronation....

Where were you one year ago and how did you feel?

My wife and I were sitting on the couch flipping the TV between Fox and CNN. The look on the faces at the CNN news room was gloomy to say the least. They were actually a good 20 minutes behind Fox in reporting the latest results that were leaning pro Trump.

How did you feel that night, the next day when it was confirmed that Trump had actually pulled off the upset of a lifetime?

I know I was amazed and the future of America suddenly looked a whole lot brighter. I was a bit concerned about all the changes that Trump had proposed in his campaign but even if it hurt I believed that America needed the upheaval. As we have seen the swamp is so much deeper then even Trump had figured.

SO how did you feel this time last year when it was confirmed that Trump had won?
One thing I felt was "Vindicated" -- Kibby Post on November 2, 2016

Election Night was a "shocker" - but not for me. I felt sure then, and still do today - that Donald Trump was going to shake Washington D.C. to it's core. The people (not the Elite Political Establishment) were finally going to get the "Change" they were looking for. Mr Trump has had many successes, just because the Media & Left refuse to acknowledge them doesn't mean they are not there and it certainly doesn't mean that the Trump Voters don't see them.

I can say that I've been surprised at the Year Long Total Hysterical Meltdown by the Media, the Leftists and even the Establishment Republicans. They didn't "get it" then and they still don't "get it".

I recently read a story in the New York Times about Polling - they did all sorts of "where did we go wrong" to attempt to figure out how they ALL got it so wrong. In the end, they decided they didn't do anything wrong and would continue to Poll exactly as they had been doing, because even with the results of November 8 - they are STILL convinced they are correct.

Think about that - what is the definition of Insanity? Doing the same wrong thing over and over and over and expecting a different result. Turns out -- the Leftists only have one Playbook and that is still true today.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:27 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,953,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Stunned. Dumbfounded. Horrified.

Just couldn't believe that so many Americans would support an ignorant, inexperienced, predatory, lying, self-aggrandizing, money-grubbing, bigoted, verbally vicious bully.

I was shocked to find that so many Americans were so much meaner than I ever dreamed.
This, but I actually believe Americans are more gullible than I imagined, not mean. I was on vacation with thousands of mostly liberal ladies, and we were watching the election returns via satellite from Mexico. The majority of us had voted for Hilary or Bernie. We watched until we finally fell asleep, with a sense on impending doom. That feeling has only increased since then.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:33 AM

764 posts, read 234,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Per the bolded, what's wrong with that? Do you realize that half the people in this country don't want to live with social conservatism?
Yes, we realize that. And I would politely ask you the same question from the other side. Do you realize that half of the people in this country want to live with social conservatism?

Old 11-09-2017, 07:43 AM

6,260 posts, read 5,067,187 times
My husband was in his home office down the hall and I was watching the returns on TV in the living room. We were both planning on staying up as long as it took and figured that it was going to be a very long night. Every time a state was called for either candidate I called it out, just to keep him up-to-date. For a while the returns were predictable - Clinton won this state, Trump won that state, hers was a blue state, his was a red. No surprises.

And then the Trump wins started to add up. He won Florida. He won SC. He won Ohio. He won over and over and I became increasingly convinced that maybe he was going to pull this off. When he won Wisconsin I called out to my husband to "come see this". When he came into the living room I pointed at the screen. We both hugged each other. The blue wall was crumbling.

The thought of Clinton becoming president had worn on both of us a good deal during the campaign. We both believed (and still believe) that she would have been a very destructive force to the country on so many levels, and the thought of Hillary as the president of the United States scared us both.

Yes it was amusing to see the results unfold and watch the disbelief and shock on the faces of CNN talking heads, and listen to the "she can still win if" scenarios they kept pulling out of their........hats. Yes it was amusing to see the increasingly long faces and then tears of Hillary supporters. Yes it was a little shocking that Hillary did not give a concession speech that night and had Podesta send her supporters home.

We were excited about the results but mostly we were relieved. Just so. damned. relieved.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:46 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,722,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
ECONOMICALLY was the the key term. No body cares about social crap anymore. no one cares who you marry or what you do in your bedroom. We DO NOT want to know! Stop flaunting your social mores at us and work like we do.....Stop running around protesting meaningless crap and say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections