Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2017, 11:24 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss1234 View Post
But, we aren't a democracy, we are a Constitutional Republic. States elect the President, not Popular Vote. The founding fathers were smart in knowing that just 2 cities could decide for the entire country, and realized that everyone has a voice, not just the cesspool of liberals in California and New York. If you don't like how our system is set up, go to Canada where they elect on Direct Democracy. Someone failed Civics class I see.
California was far from being a state when the Constitution was composed in the late 18th century, and there is no evidence that New York was a "cesspool of liberals" at that time. The United States was a very different place then than it is now. The founding fathers were concerned about the interests of the agrarian states and gave little thought to the potential growth and changes in our country being adversely affected by a system which made a great deal of sense then - but which would not age well.

Sounds as if a civics brush-up would do you no harm, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 11:25 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
So then deal with the Electoral College or get out. Let me ask you a question, and answer it honestly, if Clinton lost the popular vote, but won the electoral college, would you still want to abolish it?
Yes, I think it is stupid in modern times

Old 11-09-2017, 11:27 AM

1,018 posts, read 511,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
Cesspool of liberals? Those are Americans you are referring to and they make up 1/2 the country. Why do hate America?

Lololol Me hate America? Lololol, crying laughing. Take a look at the Democrat Party and then we will see who really hates America. Cough Barack Obama Cough. My Point is is the with the electoral college, every single state has a voice that is heard. I don't think its fair that we let 2 cities decide our election every time. The founding fathers knew this would be the case, and set up the system according to how they think is best. Bet if Clinton lost the popular vote but won the electoral college you would be praising it! Btw, Im not dissing Florida, they were smart enough to not vote Clinton in.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:28 AM

764 posts, read 235,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I didn't fail civics, I know about the Electoral College. I just think it's outdated, as the majority of the country is literate now. When the EC was created, only the wealthy were literate
The solution would be to go through the correct procedure to get it changed.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:31 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
It was one of the happiest days of my life. I still smile when I hear "President Trump." My fondest political dream was to have an outsider elected President. I've always despised professional politicians.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
The solution would be to go through the correct procedure to get it changed.
It won't get changed. That would require a petition, and the other 48 states wouldn't have a heard voice. It won't happen.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:39 AM

1,323 posts, read 588,517 times
Quote:
Lololol Me hate America? Lololol, crying laughing. Take a look at the Democrat Party and then we will see who really hates America. Cough Barack Obama Cough. My Point is is the with the electoral college, every single state has a voice that is heard. I don't think its fair that we let 2 cities decide our election every time. The founding fathers knew this would be the case, and set up the system according to how they think is best. Bet if Clinton lost the popular vote but won the electoral college you would be praising it! Btw, Im not dissing Florida, they were smart enough to not vote Clinton in.
Umm, I didn't vote for Clinton, so you can put that big old trope down. But carry on assuming anyone who is liberal and subscribes to liberal ideology did.

I'm taking a look at your reference to liberals. You refer to liberal cities as cesspools. Most states have major cities that are predominately liberal. So my question is valid. Why the hate of 70+ million people?

Old 11-09-2017, 11:45 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,663 times
Terrific! Thank God, and adios Hillary!!

Old 11-09-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
Umm, I didn't vote for Clinton, so you can put that big old trope down. But carry on assuming anyone who is liberal and subscribes to liberal ideology did.

I'm taking a look at your reference to liberals. You refer to liberal cities as cesspools. Most states have major cities that are predominately liberal. So my question is valid. Why the hate of 70+ million people?

Right, that proves my point exactly. I don't hate liberals, everyone has their own opinion. What I am saying is that why should we let two of the most liberal states in the country, speak for the whole entire country on who gets to be president? And only one state, California, put Hillary over the top in the popular vote. So, you are cool with California deciding who our president is?

Old 11-09-2017, 11:54 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Right, that proves my point exactly. I don't hate liberals, everyone has their own opinion. What I am saying is that why should we let two of the most liberal states in the country, speak for the whole entire country on who gets to be president? And only one state, California, put Hillary over the top in the popular vote. So, you are cool with California deciding who our president is?
Conversely, I'm NOT okay with Kansas, Wyoming and Mississippi deciding who our president is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections