Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 05:08 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
First and foremost - universal health care and single payer.
Next, roll back a huge portion of the tax giveaway to corporations and to the rich. Trickle down does not work. It has been proven over and over. Bush (I) was right when he called it Voodoo economics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 06:11 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Next, roll back a huge portion of the tax giveaway to corporations and to the rich. Trickle down does not work. It has been proven over and over. Bush (I) was right when he called it Voodoo economics.
What seems really head shaking is the reaction of Trump followers to the federal deficit. I've got some relatives who hated Obama with a white hot passion and think Trump is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

During Obama's time I heard a constant litany of complaining about the deficit and how it was ruining the country for the children and grandchildren. And I agreed that the deficit was a problem that needed to be addressed and in a hurry. Now that the tax changes and increased military spending are going to put the deficit on steroids, are my relatives expressing their grave concern? Nope, nothing but crickets. Guess the children and grandchildren were not so important after all.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:02 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
What seems really head shaking is the reaction of Trump followers to the federal deficit. I've got some relatives who hated Obama with a white hot passion and think Trump is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

During Obama's time I heard a constant litany of complaining about the deficit and how it was ruining the country for the children and grandchildren. And I agreed that the deficit was a problem that needed to be addressed and in a hurry. Now that the tax changes and increased military spending are going to put the deficit on steroids, are my relatives expressing their grave concern? Nope, nothing but crickets. Guess the children and grandchildren were not so important after all.
You can't expect others to do what you will not. There was also a ton of hypocrisy where Obama supporters are concerned. The wars for a big one.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:22 PM
JRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You can't expect others to do what you will not. There was also a ton of hypocrisy where Obama supporters are concerned. The wars for a big one.
And your point is .....? I've had concern about the debt for a long time. It really ticked me off how Congress just tossed aside Simpson-Bowles because they didn't have the guts to step up and address the problem.

And as far as being an Obama supporter; voted for Romney in 2012 as I was not happy with the job Obama was doing. As far as wars, when I expressed my concerns to friends and co-workers about invading Iraq, I was overwhelmed by the chest thumpers spouting about how easy of a thing it would be and we see how that turned out. Never been a big fan of getting involved when we don't absolutely have to.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:37 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
And your point is .....? I've had concern about the debt for a long time. It really ticked me off how Congress just tossed aside Simpson-Bowles because they didn't have the guts to step up and address the problem.

And as far as being an Obama supporter; voted for Romney in 2012 as I was not happy with the job Obama was doing. As far as wars, when I expressed my concerns to friends and co-workers about invading Iraq, I was overwhelmed by the chest thumpers spouting about how easy of a thing it would be and we see how that turned out. Never been a big fan of getting involved when we don't absolutely have to.

I said "you" but I was speaking in generalities.

Obama supporters refused to condemn him for anything and now Trump supporters will do the same.

Is the fact that around 90% of the electorate are hypocrites a problem? Yes it is.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:39 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter as they won't. The only agenda they will pursue is "attack Trump". From the looks of things I will most likely have to vote third party again.
For the last 8 years the republican agenda was attack Obama, what goes around comes around.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:46 PM
JRR

Quote:
I said "you" but I was speaking in generalities.

Obama supporters refused to condemn him for anything and now Trump supporters will do the same.

Is the fact that around 90% of the electorate are hypocrites a problem? Yes it is.
You and I can certainly agree on that!!

Old 04-30-2018, 07:52 PM
JRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
For the last 8 years the republican agenda was attack Obama, what goes around comes around.
But doesn't that attitude just keep us in a stupid, vicious cycle? One group does something that the other doesn't like, so first chance they do it right back to the first group. Lather, rinse, repeat for infinity? Where does that get us as a country?

Old 04-30-2018, 08:51 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
If Democrats win the House and Senate in November, what agenda would you like to see them pursue?

if if if

the dems were saying the same thing for the 2016 potus election, and they lost.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:12 PM
JRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
if if if

the dems were saying the same thing for the 2016 potus election, and they lost.
Different year; different elections. 2016 is in the rear view mirror
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections