Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Voting for Beto or Cruz?
Beto 67 41.61%
Cruz 89 55.28%
Neither-waiting for magical unicorn to run 5 3.11%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 03:56 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
I’m impressed with Beto. His response to this particular question was heartfelt and honest. He didn’t side step the question - he answered it off the bat. I doubt he can capture red Texas (but elated to be proven wrong), but this campaign is really only the beginning of a greater path for Beto. Texans should feel proud to have a civil servant like Beto representing them.
Yes--but not enough to move to El Paso unfortunately...
Beto for govenor would work for me too...

Old 08-23-2018, 04:09 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,283,738 times
I adore this man. His answer is perfection.

Old 08-23-2018, 04:10 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,681 times
Beta will beat Cruz. I shall pop some champagne!

Old 08-23-2018, 04:25 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,283,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by common sense solutions View Post
He compares 'taking a knee' to black people sitting at whites-only lunch counters. I don't know about this. Those at lunch counters were fighting for equality, and risking their lives to do so. These millionaire players are fighting for what, exactly? And risking little or nothing.

I frankly don't care if these players decide to lie down on the ground for the anthem. But football itself should be banned or severely restricted, before the next player hangs himself or shoots himself in the chest due to brain trauma.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...mitted_suicide
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tyler-h...de-2018-06-26/
They are protesting police brutality, especially against people of color. I mean, did you listen to his speech??

Old 08-23-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
He compares 'taking a knee' to black people sitting at whites-only lunch counters. I don't know about this. Those at lunch counters were fighting for equality, and risking their lives to do so. These millionaire players are fighting for what, exactly? And risking little or nothing.

I frankly don't care if these players decide to lie down on the ground for the anthem. But football itself should be banned or severely restricted, before the next player hangs himself or shoots himself in the chest due to brain trauma.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...mitted_suicide
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tyler-h...de-2018-06-26/
I don't understand why you think those players--wealthy or not--aren't risking something by their actions
Look at Colin Kaepernick---he is definitely being punished for making this form of protest visible and pervasive
If ANY of these players who refuse to stop doing this in this current season get injured or have other negatives to their performance value, I think you will see more reprisals from their team's ownership
They are risking something---
People like Harry Belafonte who was wealthy and well-known risked by his participating in civil rights protest
But you forget how far some blacks have come UP the food chain than there were in the 60s...

And I totally support your stance on the physical violence and damage that football can leave in the bodies of the players--and that owners and merchandisers don't give a damn about that risk...
IMO football players are playing Russian roulette with their future mental/physical health and happiness...

Old 08-23-2018, 04:29 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,589 posts, read 17,927,273 times
I love Beto. In very right leaning Texas, he's giving Rafael Cruz a serious run for his money - such that Rafael Cruz is now having to rely on Trump's support to carry the election. Rafael needs the "get off my lawn guys" voting for him, which Trump can bring.

Does the man have no pride? Asking for support from a guy who publicly called his wife ugly, and accused his father of being involved in JFK's assassination?

Anyway, hopefully Trump will be neutered politically by the time the Nov. elections come around.

Old 08-23-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Beta will beat Cruz. I shall pop some champagne!
That is dangerous thinking--
Wish/pray/work for it but don't take it for granted...that is bad luck...

Old 08-23-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Trump says that "Numerous players, from different teams, wanted to show their ‘outrage’ at something that most of them are unable to define."

Beto, the Democratic challenger for Ted Cruz's Senate seat, eloquently explains it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbiaVIa85KA
4 minutes--eloquent, elegant, effective and respectful explanation of the historical perspective about peaceful protest in America and why doing it doesn't make you less of an American or why not agreeing with it makes you less...because in America we have the right to express our opinions as a democratic process

I dare ANYONE to post 4 minutes of Trump speaking on ANYTHING that is even halfway as cogent or eloquent or attempting to bring Americans of opposing points of view together

Old 08-23-2018, 04:49 PM

This is from article in New Orleans paper that had the YouTube video of Beto and also the response of Ted Cruz--
I think the response you value the most says as much about you and your view of America as the candidates' do about theirs---

O'Rourke's opponent in the senate race, Sen. Ted Cruz, fired back, saying in a statement that O'Rourke's "perception of what is 'American' is utterly flawed."

"Comments like his are a slap in the face to every man and woman who has ever served our nation and put their lives on the line to defend American values," Cruz said

Old 08-23-2018, 05:11 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
The people at lunch counters wanted to be able to sit and eat their lunch like any white person. I agree that the police brutality is wrong, but I don't know what protesting the anthem solves.

The fight should be with the local governments to whom police answer. The lunch counter protests were conducted at lunch counters. Imagine if they had instead gone to a ball game, protested the anthem, and then explained that they wanted the right to eat at whites-only diners? The normal reaction would have been: huh?

The freedom riders were protesting segregated buses, so they bought bus tickets and rode, black and white together. They didn't go to a ball game and protest the anthem.
They aren’t protesting the anthem. They are protesting during the anthem.

Big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections