Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 10:56 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,368,819 times

Advertisements

Well you've heard the old saying that there are lies, damn lies, and statistics. I'd also add polls to that.

Five months is a long time in politics and a lifetime in the media. People have short memories. If the pandemic subsides, which is an unknown at this time and economy improves with people going back to work that will help Trump.

The riots and destruction of this country does not help the Democrats who will be seen as the enablers of all of this. Creepy Uncle Joe will never come out and endorse the left's tactics and will waver until he's called out on it.

If there are debates, forget it. Game over. Biden will go down in flames. Most of all, though, in 2016 many or most Trump voters didn't participate in the polls, which proved to be disastrously wrong, so there's always that to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2020, 11:14 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,671,795 times
Okay we've heard you loud and clear that polls are fake. So outside of polls, what are the signs Trump is heading toward winning a second term?

Old 06-08-2020, 11:49 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,609,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Okay we've heard you loud and clear that polls are fake. So outside of polls, what are the signs Trump is heading toward winning a second term?
Trump was down in the white house bunker doing some re-decorating for his 2nd term, most republicans are taking this as a clear sign he will win.

Old 06-08-2020, 11:51 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,166,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/08/polit...eek/index.html

Anyone want to go find the fat lady & have her start her warmup exercises.

While the fat lady at the opera warms up, Trump has a new campaign strategy.

Old 06-08-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
A lot depends on who he chooses as VP. I'm guessing it might be Kamala Harris. I think they could win, and she could wind up as our first female president down the road. She would be the bulldog to his subdued presence.

I think with a better choice as VP than Sarah Palin, McCain may have done much better against Obama. She was just a "heartbeat away from the presidency" and people weren't going for it. She became a cartoon character and people had to question McCain's competence for choosing her.

Biden could be in a similar position of needing a credible and competent VP candidate who could become president if his health fails.
Harris has a lot of baggage in this political climate as she was a former DA & just being involved with law enforcement is a minus right now. Abrahms doesn't have the experience yet, which leaves Warren as the front runner. While Warren would be hated by the right she has extensive experience & a very good public policy background.

Old 06-08-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
There is no way a major party candidate finishes below 45%. I think a lot of voters who do not like Trump will still vote for him.

That said Biden getting above 50% is huge in itself. That leaves a lor fewer undecided voters and also makes it much more difficult for Trump to thread a needle thought the Electoral College map winning close states with an overall deficit.

I think another thing that might come into play is more Dems are becoming likely voters. I read a piece earlier about Trumps outreach to AA voters banking on a specific scenario- attracting more conservative AAs, peeling off more males who want a 'strong leader,' selling the economy, and having younger AA voters continue with their antipathy toward both parties and the process. Supposedly his latest polling has show youth interest and young interest among AA voters increasing significantly.
Independents are the reason Biden is up so much, Biden has gained 9 points in the CNN poll since last month.

Old 06-08-2020, 12:20 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
I bet most of those folks haven't watched a single speech he made yet. Can't wait.

Old 06-08-2020, 12:44 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I bet most of those folks haven't watched a single speech he made yet. Can't wait.
Hate to break it to you- the man is nearing 80 and could very well die in office or on the campaign trail. I would bet 90% of his supporters do not care- they simply want to be done with Trump. If you look at that poll it corresponds pretty closely to the Trump approval/disapproval numbers. The only area Biden really shows realative strength is among working class Catholics and older voters. Otherwise it is basically the Democratic base and people who do not like Trump.

Old 06-08-2020, 12:57 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Hate to break it to you- the man is nearing 80 and could very well die in office or on the campaign trail. I would bet 90% of his supporters do not care- they simply want to be done with Trump. If you look at that poll it corresponds pretty closely to the Trump approval/disapproval numbers. The only area Biden really shows realative strength is among working class Catholics and older voters. Otherwise it is basically the Democratic base and people who do not like Trump.

But that's "a lot of people"!

Old 06-08-2020, 01:08 PM

25,736 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/08/polit...eek/index.html

Biden 55%
Trump 41%

Ouch!

Anyone want to go find the fat lady & have her start her warmup exercises.
This poll oversampled Blacks & Hispanics by 20%.

This poll has a margin of error of >3% which makes it a LOW CONFIDENCE poll.

Thus, this is a propaganda poll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections