Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 05:45 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,308,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
five months is an eternity

The election is closer to 4 months away for many voters, due to mail-in ballots and early voting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 06:33 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
five months is an eternity
For Pubs, November 3rd will be "the longest day."

Old 06-09-2020, 07:07 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,610,204 times
2 more polls today both have Biden ahead by double digits.

https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-amer...ng-june-8-2020

Another poll

Trump now trails Biden by 53% to 41%, with a sample whose self-reported 2016 vote is 48% Clinton, 47% Trump. Remember Clinton won the national vote by more than 3% over Trump so D's are under represented in this poll giving credence to the cnn poll of Biden up by 14%.

Old 06-09-2020, 07:29 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchroad View Post
No he wouldnt.

Many respected polls had him down by double digits in 2016 at this point. Many respected polls had him down by double digits in October.

The state polls align about the same as in 2016.

Trump has a good shot at getting more EV's, possibly over 330 with Minnesota, Nevada, and definitely New Hampshire
Yes, likely he would lose.
Voters hadn’t experienced a Trump presidency in 2016.
Now they have.

Old 06-09-2020, 07:34 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I viewed polls with suspicion in 2016 for the reason that the landscape was changing. Ever since George Gallup, polls were either of the person in the street (originally), then via telephone, when everyone had land lines.

Even Gallup recognized in 2016 that, with the prevalence of mobile phones, the old 'landline' model would no longer work, and so 'sat out' the 2016 Presidential election (although they did other polling; I believe that the same holds true today).

Each polling company has its own methods, and so people are correct to examine the methodology used in individual polls. I doubt that any of us herein would seriously consider 'internet polls'.

Yet, 2018 did show me that some pollsters had improved their methodology. Obviously, polling is never 'perfect' (See, "Dewey Wins").

Yet, I think it obvious that polling methods have improved greatly. As such, I tend to believe that President Trump and his campaign will take the latest polls, including CNN (which does not conduct the poll, but hires a company to do so), seriously.

As we all know, each political party conducts their own polls. In 2016, Mr. Trump's private polls obviously showed him an opening in three key states. I was one of those bewildered by his frequent visits to Michigan and Pennsylvania, thinking they were 'sure' for Ms. Clinton. I was wrong, the polls Mr. Trump relied on were correct: his visits made a difference.

The Trump campaign has announced that Mr. Trump will, in two weeks, resume rallies. Watch where he goes. I have no doubt that he will go where he feels he is in trouble.

Mr. Trump is appearing in Dallas next week for a private fundraiser, but I do not count that as a campaign stop, as such. I do not think it means (although it could) that Mr. Trump believes that Texas is up for grabs.

Finally, given the uncertainly of the virus, Mr. Trump's team is probably well aware that the window for holding rallies may be short. I would not be surprised if his first rally, for instance, is in Florida, historically a key state with the winner determined by a few thousand votes. Since Florida is 'spiking' (look it up), it makes since for him to go there first. Indeed, after visiting Florida, do not be surprised if the Governor of Florida, citing the spike, issues orders that no other rallies may be had (sorry, Joe Biden!).
I don’t think he’ll go where he’s in trouble.
More likely he’ll first go to places where he has support so he can bask in the applause and try to use those crowds to prove people still love him.

Side note about Dallas: I read today that, as per a judge there, the RNC should not be looking to move the convention there. It would be a no-go due to the virus.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:25 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
If the liberal Fake News polls can't open up at least a 20+ point lead, Trump is going to wipe quid pro quo Joe out in November.
I don't think lightning is going to strike twice. Your team was behind by 20 points in the 4th quarter and manages to win 3 on-side kicks and secure the victory. A big surprise to everyone. However, the next team your team is in that position, you might think they'll pull off another victory but in reality, if your team is behind by that much, it might be wishful thinking.

However, it is only June. I won't make bold claims like some others (Stick a fork in 'em, he's done! And something about the fat lady) this early.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:35 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times
Though not good news for Trump, we all know that national polls, like the popular vote, don't matter. It's all about the Electoral College. It's still anybody's race, coming down to 6 swing states: AZ, WI, MI, PA, NC and of course FL.

https://www.270towin.com/

Old 06-09-2020, 08:42 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/08/polit...eek/index.html

Biden 55%
Trump 41%

Ouch!

Anyone want to go find the fat lady & have her start her warmup exercises.
Didn't you learn in 2016 that polls mean nothing?

Old 06-09-2020, 08:53 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Though not good news for Trump, we all know that national polls, like the popular vote, don't matter. It's all about the Electoral College. It's still anybody's race, coming down to 6 swing states: AZ, WI, MI, PA, NC and of course FL.

https://www.270towin.com/
Latest state polls, Trump has to win all of these states.

Michigan
Biden is up by 12%

PA
Biden 46% to Trump 50%
Biden 48% to Trump 39%

Arizona
Biden 46% to Trump 42% Fox News

Wisconsin
Biden 49% to Trump 40% Fox News

North Carolina
Biden 49% to Trump 45%

Florida
Biden 48% to Trump 45%

Old 06-09-2020, 09:13 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Didn't you learn in 2016 that polls mean nothing?
Didn't Trumplings learn that 2016 was a black swan election?

Looks like "NO!"

The following keep close tabs on the polls that Trumplings keep claiming are meaningless:

Senators
Congressmen
Political contributors
Foreign heads of state
Political strategists
Voters

And more than any of the above, tRump himself. His malignant narcissism demands it.

Carry on.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections