Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 04:55 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,005,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
You make me laugh. And on top of that you have to sit in church and listen to hate speeches from the rev. or the other friends of the rev. who still are stating that it is right what he had said!!! What a waste of time, you are better off the way you live. I wouldn't be the Obama's and if I would be they would be different. they wouldn't have these friends, etc....
ROFL, true that!!! BUT, they'd have to attend a very proper high-church Episcopal service every week!!! No sermons with four-letter words shouted or obscene gestures made! Just teachings from the Bible and instruction for living, I'm afraid. They would find other black folks (and Asians and Hispanics) there, though! (I wonder if Michelle would sign up to help make soup and deliver it to shut-ins? Or if Barack would go serve breakfast with the other parishioners to the working poor bright and early in the morning?! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 06:17 PM

915 posts, read 3,179,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Such shallowness. What an idiotic comment. So only beautiful people should be our politicians? You obviously don't follow politics other than this presidential race. We're trying to decide who should get one of the most important and difficult jobs in the world, and you treat it like picking out Miss America or casting a major movie picture.

I don't understand what anyone's looks have to do with being president or first lady or whatever.
hah did i even mentioned look? I merely comment on the poster after the OP, picking on her misspelled. crazy obamanator...

Old 05-01-2008, 06:32 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
~ I wonder if they have a coffee maker.....lol
They have a housekeeper named Nancy Buba.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:55 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,093,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
And I guess I think that a single comment does not make someone an elitist who has worked to get where they are. And I know people who are very upset in PA, I don't live there because of poor economics in the last 20 years and had move all over, when everyone was told to do well in school and you will have it made in PA. I just think people like to hang on to a sound bite and not look at the whole person. When I hear things like they are hate filled I know reality is gone and emotion is setting in. None of our candidates are hate filled and none of our candidates are racist, the hype is beyond the pale.
I don't hate Michelle Obama. Not a teeny bit sour in life, rich people make it on work, not luck. I am not remotely jealous of her. But I have listened to what she has said over the course of about 5 months now. There is a certain pattern of disconnect that I have noticed - what she says and to what groups she says it to.

When she speaks like this she can be a detriment to her husband. I think a lot of posters here - including Obama supporters - could consider that idea.

Like calling America "mean", or saying that she can "barely make ends meet" on her paltry allowance allocated to her daughter's tap dance instruction and other extracirricular activities that Average Americans cannot dream of providing their children. Or telling young people not to go into corporate America. Isn't that how she got her money? Saying her husband, as a black man, (who has been shuttled around in a limo for years now) can get shot gassing up his car? She talks of her squalid upbringing, yet every account has it that her childhood was that of an upper middle class girl in a peaceful home. She's really reaching with this comment IMO.

Last edited by winnie; 05-01-2008 at 10:13 PM..

Old 05-01-2008, 10:02 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,093,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Yes Warren Buffet is just like us. He is working as hard as ever and is not leaving his wealth to his children because they need to learn to work hard. Even with his wealth and his age he is working hard like most Americans. Warren Buffett is Poly Just like us but more successful. Read and understand. Knowledge is powerful

With regards to my comment about some of you who are failures, I think you know who you are.
But while Buffet (or Gates/Trump, take your pick of wealthy humanitarians) is not an elitist, he is not middle class "just like the rest of us" either, and I think should he comment that his lifestyle was comparable to the "average joe" his connections would rush him to the doc. I think it is clear M.O. was talking about her present life, and it is not the life of an average american.

To the second part, FYI the Obama supporters here continually call the Hillary supporters trailer trash, uneducated, racist people. Just checking that was not yet another endless, unfounded dig.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:07 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,746,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Hate to be mean, but tried to watch her interview, just could not get past that ugly face!
Why don't you post a pic of your face on here before you call someone ugly? Most people who are quick to call others ugly aren't to good looking themselves either.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:49 PM

451 posts, read 310,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Has nothing to do with her features, but the mean looking eyes while smiling is very bizarre, and the contortions with the mouth, the phony smile, are a giveaway. One can be very homely yet exude inner beauty. This gal is homely and also exudes pure inner "ugliness"... I would compare her to Carville, damn hideous inside and out.
are you talking about GW Bush? btw Mr. Carville is a political genious

Old 05-02-2008, 01:31 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,078,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
I don't hate Michelle Obama. Not a teeny bit sour in life, rich people make it on work, not luck. I am not remotely jealous of her. But I have listened to what she has said over the course of about 5 months now. There is a certain pattern of disconnect that I have noticed - what she says and to what groups she says it to.

When she speaks like this she can be a detriment to her husband. I think a lot of posters here - including Obama supporters - could consider that idea.

Like calling America "mean", or saying that she can "barely make ends meet" on her paltry allowance allocated to her daughter's tap dance instruction and other extracirricular activities that Average Americans cannot dream of providing their children. Or telling young people not to go into corporate America. Isn't that how she got her money? Saying her husband, as a black man, (who has been shuttled around in a limo for years now) can get shot gassing up his car? She talks of her squalid upbringing, yet every account has it that her childhood was that of an upper middle class girl in a peaceful home. She's really reaching with this comment IMO.
If you listened, really listened, and were not looking for a word to jump on, she said that she wanted him to be anything but a politician because those people are mean, and being in her shoes, you have to agree that people calling her ugly and hate filled and racist do show a certain meanness. Be honest, we all grew up in school and we all know people can be mean, look at this board. I see very very very few positive comments about anyone, it is filled with hyperbole about how awful everyone is. Sometimes one might not like what is said, but that does not negate the value of it. I find it refreshing that she is willing to speak her mind and not "reinvent" herself to be what people think she should be. We had a first lady in the 90s who kept reinventing herself and I do not think it is our right Americans to demand such acquiesence.

Having looked into her upbringing, seems she came from a middle to lower middle class family who worked hard. She lived in a small apartment, so upper middle class is a bit of stretch I think. I also think that most working class families are peaceful, hardworking and try to provide upward mobility for their children. Just because you have a bit money in the last five years, does not make you forget where you came from. To his dying day, my successful father always kept his depression era values. Just because he had some money in the end, did not stop him from hitting Duncan Donuts in the morning for coffee, or mowing the lawn, or having us do our chores. I just find it incredible that somehow John McCain who has been living in the lap of luxury, flying around in his wife's jet, or Hillary Clinton who has lived in the Governor's Mansion and White House for most of her adult life are somehow more "real".

Last edited by janeannwho; 05-02-2008 at 02:11 AM..

Old 05-02-2008, 01:39 AM

531 posts, read 1,743,600 times
I personally do not care which of the 3 candidates is wealthiest (none of them is poor after all). I care about what they will do in office to help people and the country. I am leaning towards the democrats because health care is such an important issue to me and I haven't heard McCain say much on this at all.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:00 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,166,855 times
I wouldn't vote for Obama and I certainly don't want his wife living in the White House.

I have the feeling they are **nothing** like me.

I can't stand her and I think her husband has the least experience of anyone who was running for the Presidency this year.

I'll vote for Hillary if she gets the nomination, otherwise, I'll vote for McCain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections