Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 09:05 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,393,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Obama's book brought in over 5 million so where did that money go according to your numbers?
They're not my numbers. They're Money Magazine's numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 09:24 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,767,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
They're not my numbers. They're Money Magazine's numbers.
Is that an Obama endorsing magazine?

Old 05-02-2008, 09:29 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,829,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
All the candidates have baggage as most of us do. If I were running for president I would be killed. I have a rather normal life as an adult. I would not be crucified by skeletons in my closet but by the reality that I was once young and stupid. Thank God as normal everyday citizens we don't face the scrutiny that running for public office has.
Relax. Unless you've left DNA or have activities captured on youtube the libs will deny anything improper occurred. . . as long as you deny and blame all ills on big oil, Bush, Cheney and Rove and promise hope for a change they can really believe in.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:30 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,270,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
Relax. Unless you've left DNA or have activities captured on youtube the libs will deny anything improper occurred. . . as long as you deny and blame all ills on big oil, Bush, Cheney and Rove and promise hope for a change they can really believe in.
whats good for the rednecks

Old 05-02-2008, 09:47 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
If you listened, really listened, and were not looking for a word to jump on, she said that she wanted him to be anything but a politician because those people are mean, and being in her shoes, you have to agree that people calling her ugly and hate filled and racist do show a certain meanness. Be honest, we all grew up in school and we all know people can be mean, look at this board. I see very very very few positive comments about anyone, it is filled with hyperbole about how awful everyone is. Sometimes one might not like what is said, but that does not negate the value of it. I find it refreshing that she is willing to speak her mind and not "reinvent" herself to be what people think she should be. We had a first lady in the 90s who kept reinventing herself and I do not think it is our right Americans to demand such acquiesence.

Having looked into her upbringing, seems she came from a middle to lower middle class family who worked hard. She lived in a small apartment, so upper middle class is a bit of stretch I think. I also think that most working class families are peaceful, hardworking and try to provide upward mobility for their children. Just because you have a bit money in the last five years, does not make you forget where you came from. To his dying day, my successful father always kept his depression era values. Just because he had some money in the end, did not stop him from hitting Duncan Donuts in the morning for coffee, or mowing the lawn, or having us do our chores. I just find it incredible that somehow John McCain who has been living in the lap of luxury, flying around in his wife's jet, or Hillary Clinton who has lived in the Governor's Mansion and White House for most of her adult life are somehow more "real".
Just for the record, when Hillary lived in the governor's mansion in Arkansas, the governor's salary was $30,000/year. That's not high living by anyone's standards, even 25 years ago.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:04 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,081,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Just for the record, when Hillary lived in the governor's mansion in Arkansas, the governor's salary was $30,000/year. That's not high living by anyone's standards, even 25 years ago.
The point is not living high, it is living remotely. And Hillary has been insulated from "real folk" for most of her adult life. it is just nonsense to say that they are all that different. They are all the power elite. I remember in Vegas when they would come to town, we would all have to sit and wait for the motorcades to go to Greenspun mansion every other month or so. The Clintons and McCains live a life of privelege. Do your kids get out of college and walk into prestigous jobs or do they have to work their way up? They are all of an ilk and to pretend that Cindy McCain or Bill Clinton are just plain folk is ludicrous.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:17 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,829,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
. . . . to pretend that Cindy McCain or Bill Clinton are just plain folk is ludicrous.
Are Cindy and Bill going around telling us that we live just like them?

Old 05-02-2008, 10:29 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
I'm not comparing current lifestyles of anyone. But Bill Clinton did not grow up in an "elite" environment, being raised by a single mother in rural Arkansas and going to college on scholarships isn't insular in any way. The house Bill and Hillary lived in when they first got married was pretty modest. Hillary's time as the first lady in Arkansas was not marked by any kind of elite lifestyle, either. She had to work to supplement Bill's income. The state of Arkansas doesn't pay the governor all that well, and he doesn't get perks that many other governors enjoy. I'm not taking any position that any of the candidates have backgrounds more or less like the posters on this forum, I'm just pointing out that the Governor of Arkansas doesn't make a lot of money.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:41 AM

270 posts, read 527,128 times
[quote=janeannwho;3642735]If you listened, really listened, and were not looking for a word to jump on, she said that she wanted him to be anything but a politician because those people are mean, and being in her shoes, you have to agree that people calling her ugly and hate filled and racist do show a certain meanness.

You are so right, but sometimes the truth hurts. She is all of those things and more. Except maybe ugly. Though I do have to say she is one of those women who can look good one day and the next, Woof.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:48 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Please read the attached on how the Clintons supplemented their meager income back then. Oh the shame of it all.

AllPolitics - Whitewater - Timeline
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections