Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 09:06 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
They also have old dried up wells they get money from the government on. Check.
They do not get money from the government to sit on dried up wells, they pay the government to sit on them, in the form of a 10 year lease. If your claiming the government pays the oil companies for leases, please find a source and post it. I'm smart enough to know what a lease is, and it sure isnt the property owner paying the tenant..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 09:23 AM

234 posts, read 294,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I'm not sure what argument your trying to make. You understand that this is a WORLD market and they are free to sell it to China, or America if they wish right? If China was paying $100 and I'm only willing to pay $50, why would I expect them to sell it to me unless their costs to get it to me was $50 less then China?
I’m so sorry that you do not understand the argument I’m trying to make. So I’ll try again.
People like you who have been defending the Bush Administration and the oil companies are using the argument that the increased world demand, and not the Iraq war and the consequent destabilization of the Middle East, or the oil companies taking advantage of this destabilization and manipulating the prices are the real reason for the oil prices to go so high.
OK. I’ll buy that. What I don’t understand is how Drill, Drill, Drill is going to bring the prices down. The world demand for oil is still going to be there. And consequently the prices will be reflecting that demand. Unless you are trying to tell me that if we DRILL, DRILL, DRILL we will get so much oil, that we will flood the market, satisfy our demand and the world demand for oil and bring the prices down. This is what John McCain and Sarah Palin have been promising.

All this Drill, Drill, Drill chanting is attempt to distract from putting all our efforts and develop alternative energies and completely free ourselves from oil dependency.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:29 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,555,437 times
Quote:
Google supply demand oil. Jees, no wonder I moved from Pittsburgh..
Um yeah,,,so I googled 'supply demand oil' and not a single reference about the "gas prices dropped in direct result of the lift of the ban for drilling off shore". That was your intial claim.. why don't you link me to where you found that information. This is not about supply and demand. You said that the gas prices dropped due to the lift of the ban on offshore drilling...so prove it. I can't find an oz of info on it.

No cheap shots needed about Pittsburgh...How about some intelligent coversation...are you in or no? By the way, again,,,not from this city...so I don't know exactly who you think your insulting...but I just moved here..enough already.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:55 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,963 times
Quote:
They do not get money from the government to sit on dried up wells, they pay the government to sit on them, in the form of a 10 year lease. If your claiming the government pays the oil companies for leases, please find a source and post it. I'm smart enough to know what a lease is, and it sure isnt the property owner paying the tenant..
They do get money for wells that have dried up but I'll be dag-on if I can find the article on it now. I've been trying for 30 mins but no matter which way I search for it I end up getting all sorts of crap about Venezuala, China and Mexico and exxon's huge profits. And frankly, now I have a headache from trying to find the bloody article on it so while I prefer to give you a source, I'm giving up on that for the moment. I'll look again later for you though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections