Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 07:55 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
The ban is lifted on offshore drilling...So where are all the republicans at? Are they running to the shores with shovel in hand or what? Oh yeah, nobody has made a single move to even begin drilling... Urgent, right?
They lifted the ban and IMMEDIATELY the price of gas went down because the SUPPLY went up, the fact that they have not pulled anything out of the ground did not stop the price of fuel to go down because the supply is AVAILABLE. It did not take 2 years, it did not take 10 years, or 15.. The price is going down NOW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 07:59 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,734,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
More record oil profits last quarter. How long do you think they are going to allow the price of gas to drop? Oh wait...since the price of gas is not dropping at the same rate as oil then I guess they are still making out. No matter. McCain or Obama will save us
I hope they continue to make good profits.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:03 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,148,409 times
This is trickle up economics at its finest. Reagan had it right, but it trickled up instead of down. I believe Obama can reverse the flow of some of that money by taxing those profits reasonably and reducing taxes on middle and lower class Americans.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:04 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,555,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
They lifted the ban and IMMEDIATELY the price of gas went down because the SUPPLY went up, the fact that they have not pulled anything out of the ground did not stop the price of fuel to go down because the supply is AVAILABLE. It did not take 2 years, it did not take 10 years, or 15.. The price is going down NOW.
That is not why the price of gas has dropped...why don't you provide a link that indicates your info.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:06 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,148,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Prices are NOT up, they have started going down. I think its suspicious that they dont go down as fast as they go up, but your info is wrong that prices are going up.

They just started reporting that in year to year comparisons by month, total miles driven is down big...and sure enough, prices are starting to drop under $4. Facts please...not emotion.
Isn't it interesing that prices are going down just before the election? I believe they want us to elect McCain, and the oil companies will raise prices after the election whoever is elected.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:09 AM

"That's because, along with falling global crude-oil prices, the refining capacity of the U.S.'s Gulf Coast that was lost as a result of Hurricanes Ike and Gustav is coming back onstream, which will mean a significant increase in gas supply next month."

Gas Prices Dropping: The Good News and Bad News - TIME

Everything I am reading is in direct result of the hurricanes. Not the lift of the ban on offshore drilling.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:12 AM

THere taxes would rise a from 35% to 39%...and they would lose their tax breaks and subsidies...I think they make enough money to survive. Those tax breaks and subsidies can be used to investigate alternative fuel options...something that they do not do. Because they know it will put them out of business. They dominate our lives and it is time to stop and go the other way. Drilling for more oil is not a permanant solution. It is a band aid that might lower our price at the pump by a nickle...and that won't even happen for several years.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:13 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,734,258 times
Drill baby drill!

Old 11-02-2008, 08:15 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The first part is due to speculation which controls the price of oil per barrel oddly enough.

The continued drop is not because of lifting the ban however. The continued drop is because we are in a recession despite the fact that the WH still cannot admit we're in a full blown recession and not just a 'some states' are in a recession.

Danielle is right about drilling. The funny thing about all the drill, drill, drill is that the oil companies have had drilling & speculating rights all over the place in large quantities. But for whatever reason they haven't been exercising those rights. Even during the discussion of whether to lift the ban or not they could have been drilling in new places they have as yet left untouched but no.

I don't know about anyone else but I find it really freaking interesting, and wrong, that the oil companies post all these big profits yet WE, the taxpayer, pay for all their old wells that have dried up. Meaning they are subsidized every quarter/year for those old no longer producing wells. Why we do that is beyond me and maybe if we didn't they'd be forced to do a little more drilling. As it stands why put out all that high cost expenditure when they can instead continue to make money off that dead well as if it were still alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:15 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,312,313 times
Nothing short of free gas and a free Prius is ever going to satisfy certain people on the "left".
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections