Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 02:19 PM

711 posts, read 933,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
yes but we should not nationalize oil cuz uh.....I dont want the government telling me what I can and cant do!!!!!

I'd rather have a large corporation that does not consist of leaders elected by the public control oil!!!!!!!
Of course--you would rather have a hot house tomato with an attache and a cellphone not only telling you what to do but also what you are going to pay.

And of course-- YOU elect these tomatos with YOUR vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 02:21 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,727,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
"Record earnings for the world’s largest publicly traded oil company have become almost as predictable as the surge of gasoline prices at the pump in recent years, and for the second quarter income rose 14 percent, to $11.68 billion.

It was the highest quarterly profit ever for any American company, as Exxon made nearly $90,000 a minute."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/01/bu.../01oil.html?hp

Which president do you believe can somehow get these prices down? Clearly drilling in ANWAR is not the reason why oil prices are high. Doesn't it seem like the oil companies are just lovin' our PAIN AT THE PUMP?

Did you know oil companies spend MORE on ADVERTISING about how they are exploring alternative energy than they actually spend on exploring other energy sources? That's how shady they are.

Why are Americans putting up with prices like this, and profits like this for the oil companies, for a commodity that is a necessity? I mean how far can they take this before this country's economy completely crumbles.

Do you believe in a windfall profits tax on these outrageous oil company earnings?

Since the Republicans got us into this mess, do you really trust them to get us out?!

Our poor country is going down..

That is not true.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:22 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,605,313 times
Which part?

Old 08-01-2008, 05:16 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,691,139 times
Quote:
No one else finds it odd and astounding that oil has doubled in price since Bush/Cheney rode into town? $4 per gallon is beating a dead horse? I only wish this WAS a dead issue, but its not and its causing our economy to cave. I dunno, I just find it weird how there is no supply problem yet oil has become so pricey. The only ones benefiting are the shareholders of Exonn. People shouldn't be getting that rich off of a necessity. To me it reeks of price gouging. Well what about the American people? Something just smells very fishy.
I find it astounding that you have such a poor memory. Bush/Cheney have been in office since 2000. Two Januarys ago, gas was $1.70 and dropping.
The only political change at that time was the Democrats taking over Congress. Maybe you should call them and ask what they did.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:31 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,525,246 times
Do you believe in a windfall profits tax on these outrageous oil company earnings?

YES

Old 08-01-2008, 05:36 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,855,850 times
the oil companies whopping 8% profit margin. compare that with other industries. without oil companies, we wouldn't have a dime to educate kids. we should get down on our hands and knees and thank the oil companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post

YES

Old 08-02-2008, 02:05 PM

654 posts, read 1,211,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post

YES

Do you understand that corporations do NOT directly pay taxes; that they pass those costs on to the consumer?

NO. You obviously do not understand that.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:39 AM

711 posts, read 933,503 times
Does this meet your approval?

Pensito Review » Closing Enron Loophole Would Drop Oil Prices 25% - 50% Overnight

Old 08-03-2008, 01:34 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,735,237 times
Quote:
"Record earnings for the world’s largest publicly traded oil company have become almost as predictable as the surge of gasoline prices at the pump in recent years, and for the second quarter income rose 14 percent, to $11.68 billion.

It was the highest quarterly profit ever for any American company, as Exxon made nearly $90,000 a minute."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/01/bu.../01oil.html?hp

Which president do you believe can somehow get these prices down? Clearly drilling in ANWAR is not the reason why oil prices are high. Doesn't it seem like the oil companies are just lovin' our PAIN AT THE PUMP?

Did you know oil companies spend MORE on ADVERTISING about how they are exploring alternative energy than they actually spend on exploring other energy sources? That's how shady they are.

Why are Americans putting up with prices like this, and profits like this for the oil companies, for a commodity that is a necessity? I mean how far can they take this before this country's economy completely crumbles.

Since the Republicans got us into this mess, do you really trust them to get us out?!

Our poor country is going down..
Instead of listening to the media hype, you would do well to do some research to learn he facts. In 2006 ExxonMobil had profits of 39.5 billion dollars and paid corporate taxes on those profits of 28 billion dollars. In 2007 the company had profits of 40.6 billion and paid corporate taxes of 30 billion. In other words the oil company is paying taxes at a rate of slightly over 40%. In 2007 it paid as much taxes as the bottom 50% of wage earners paid. In the past 25 years federal, state and local governments collected some 2.2 trillion dollars in various taxes on oil and gas from producers and consumers. During the same period oil company (all oil companies) profits were about 665 billion. If there is any gouging going on it's government doing it. Google it for yourself.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,367 times
Default The Idiots Running the Government

Quote:
Originally Posted by fp1978 View Post
For the idiots, yes idiots, who think that the solution to high gas prices is to implement more government control over oil companies and/or nationalize oil refineries I have just one question: Are you happy with how the government has been running public education, the Hurrican Katrina recovery, Social Security, etc.?
No, I’m not. Sadly, Republicans, only some of whom are idiots (Bush), the others being evil, greedy bastards, were running the Katrina “recovery.” Of course, some of those Republicans openly delighted in the prospect that enough poor people would die or be displaced that Louisiana would become a reliably red state like its neighbors. Too, Republicans like yourself (maybe not an idiot, maybe just calculating) can point to such failures as proof government doesn’t work. I think the lesson is that Republican government doesn’t work.

I actually went down and worked on the cleanup in Mississippi. Ya know, I didn’t meet a single Republican volunteer there. I did meet some folks who’d been forced to smuggle desperately needed food and supplies into the gulf area, sneaking past Bush’s federal marshals who were trying to keep supplies away.

Federalizing the oil industry is EXACTLY what this country needs. But not under a Repugnatan administration. Remember, the GOP is a coalition of the rich and the stupid.

~ John Mayer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections