Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 01:33 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,935,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Agreed, nevertheless much of business today depended on those stupid Americans and their credit card-SUV mindset. And companies and entire cities and states thathave depended on easy credit for many years.
Most definitely.....but the problem beyond that is that the issue is being flamed by the media spouting doom and gloom. People can still go out and make purchases, they just need to be wise doing it. The domino effect of telling people if they spend everything is going to go the hell is that people STOP spending and everything goes to hell. It's like Oil speculators....you tell people oil will be at $150 per barrel next week...and today it's at $125...well then people are going to buy to get those gains, demand will go up and so will price.......self fulfilling prophecy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 01:34 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,077,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Americans aren't going broke...stupid Americans are. Those that chose ARMs, those that chose Interest Only Loans, those that chose to live beyond their means through credit, those that bought homes for investments and not for homes, those who feel the need to have big hulking SUVs just because they are big hulking SUVs.....those are the people crying. Not me. I am crying because too many people see this as a crash and not a reset of an economy that got too fat too fast. It's back to reality people.
I'm one of the lucky ones who can afford to fill my compact size car with $65 worth of gas. Not just last year I used to pay around $40 to fill the tank. That's a big increase for people who dont earn that much and it is NOT explained by the current supply/demand since there is NO shortage right now and demand is DOWN. So why are prices UP? Somebody's fixing something..

Old 07-31-2008, 01:36 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Nice, good for Exxon, their stock holders, and the nearly 100,000 people they employ and provide good health care and other benefits to.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:37 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,759,688 times
yeah im sure they're just handing those profits right back to their employers in the form of raises

Old 07-31-2008, 01:39 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Most definitely.....but the problem beyond that is that the issue is being flamed by the media spouting doom and gloom. People can still go out and make purchases, they just need to be wise doing it. The domino effect of telling people if they spend everything is going to go the hell is that people STOP spending and everything goes to hell. It's like Oil speculators....you tell people oil will be at $150 per barrel next week...and today it's at $125...well then people are going to buy to get those gains, demand will go up and so will price.......self fulfilling prophecy.
I think oil speculation is a quick way to an early brain hemorrhage. and all commodities except maybe sugar and fertilizer. Non-US fertilizer companies (except MOS).

Too bad if companies can't or wont be flexible in a tight climate, that's what happens in a correction as you say. Everyone just needs to pay off the cards and start living on cash/debit. Sell your TV. And start a veggie garden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
yeah im sure they're just handing those profits right back to their employers in the form of raises
You know what they ARENT doing?

Laying people off, cutting benefits, not paying out pension obligations.

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
I'm one of the lucky ones who can afford to fill my compact size car with $65 worth of gas. Not just last year I used to pay around $40 to fill the tank. That's a big increase for people who dont earn that much and it is NOT explained by the current supply/demand since there is NO shortage right now and demand is DOWN. So why are prices UP? Somebody's fixing something..

NO!

Old 07-31-2008, 01:41 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,593,556 times
Quote:
Americans aren't going broke...stupid Americans are. Those that chose ARMs, those that chose Interest Only Loans, those that chose to live beyond their means through credit, those that bought homes for investments and not for homes, those who feel the need to have big hulking SUVs just because they are big hulking SUVs.....those are the people crying. Not me. I am crying because too many people see this as a crash and not a reset of an economy that got too fat too fast. It's back to reality people.
Don't forget those who pay taxes, those attempting to sell their homes, those who buy groceries, those who buy gas, those who pay for health insurance, those who pay multiple taxes on phone bills, those whose companies have downsized, who can't refinance due to falling neighborhood values, those whose equity disappeared....

Old 07-31-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
That's a big increase for people who dont earn that much and it is NOT explained by the current supply/demand since there is NO shortage right now and demand is DOWN. So why are prices UP? Somebody's fixing something..
Prices are NOT up, they have started going down. I think its suspicious that they dont go down as fast as they go up, but your info is wrong that prices are going up.

They just started reporting that in year to year comparisons by month, total miles driven is down big...and sure enough, prices are starting to drop under $4. Facts please...not emotion.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:43 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,077,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
You know what they ARENT doing?

Laying people off, cutting benefits, not paying out pension obligations.
Yeah, but the oil companies are causing other businesses into precisely that result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections