Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 08:29 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnari View Post
By the time the elections come around in November, we will attach this label to Obama: "The is not the Obama we knew"

Obama, just a dishonest flip-flopper.
OH the ORIGINALITY! OH the WIT and IN-DEPTH analysis...I am FLOORED ...WOW! THAT'LL get me voting for .....

OBAMA!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 08:36 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,154,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
I see your point, but I managed to make it to age 30 before I ever even drove a car, attending university in 3 countries on 2 continents, travelling to and in many others, as well as in several states, so I think others can do it too. There are carshare programs already established in several metro areas, walking is good, busses can help you go the distance. Not to mention the social benefits of interacting with people while you get from A to B. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE driving, but I also love my kids and my planet.
I agree that people should do what they can to help reduce oil consumption. There are some limitations to what one can do though. Rural areas don't have the population to make light rail systems cost effective.

Everything has benefits and negatives. Some energy alternatives have some serious consequences like the batteries, storage of spent nuclear rods, poor energy output of solar, and wind.

But this is a journey, and hopefully we will continue to make strides in reducing our oil addiction.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:55 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,762,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnari View Post
I promise that by tomorrow, Obama supporters will be for offshore drilling, and they will swear that they have always supported offshore drilling.
Nah, but I do think Obamas offer for compromise speaks volumes about him. Its not a flip flop at all, its saying "heres what you want, and heres what I want...where can we meet and work things out?"

Drilling and doing nothing but drilling will NOT solve our problems. When the idea is presented as the only solution, then I disagree 100%. If its a compromise amongst a total package including other fueling technologies and increasing fuel efficency and better batteries for hybrids, then I am less reluctant to say its a terrible idea.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:07 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,522,848 times
As a trained Mediator, I have to say I have a great deal of respect for a leader who understands the ART of negotiation and compromise. That is exactly what a president SHOULD do.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
I agree that people should do what they can to help reduce oil consumption. There are some limitations to what one can do though. Rural areas don't have the population to make light rail systems cost effective.

Everything has benefits and negatives. Some energy alternatives have some serious consequences like the batteries, storage of spent nuclear rods, poor energy output of solar, and wind.

But this is a journey, and hopefully we will continue to make strides in reducing our oil addiction.
I agree. Now if we can just get people to stop putting environmental bumper stickers on their vehicles, I will be a LOT happier.

"Save the Earth. Shoot Driver."

Old 08-01-2008, 09:13 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
The thing is Obama isn't the president and he is supposed to be telling us what his policies will be.It seems they keeep changing with the wind. One day it is stupid to drill ;not neceassry and the next it is OK.Compromise comes once you get to the stage where you have to in order to get things done. Not during a campaign.He looks more and more like he will do'say anything to win and really has no clear vision where he want s to take the .Inexperience is showing.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:16 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,615,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipm8 View Post
I thought you were a moderat....or
Mods are allowed to have an opinion? You got yours and they got their own.

You sure don't post against the mod here who is for Obama now do you?

I agree he is one big fat liar.

Not to long ago he was all over McCain saying McCains idea of off shore drilling will take 10 years to see any price effect, he was DEAD WRONG, all it took was McCain and the republicans pushing oil drilling and the price is dropping like a rock.

Obama has been wrong on every major important issue, dont you all notice he follows everything McCain says and does.

Lets see if he has the GUTS to admit he was wrong again.

I hope the lib media gets this right this time and not coverup his HUGE mistake !

I have been saying he cannot make a good decision to save his butt. Even with 300 little helpers traveling with him he still got this wrong.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:20 PM

454 posts, read 748,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
Nah, but I do think Obamas offer for compromise speaks volumes about him. Its not a flip flop at all, its saying "heres what you want, and heres what I want...where can we meet and work things out?"

Drilling and doing nothing but drilling will NOT solve our problems. When the idea is presented as the only solution, then I disagree 100%. If its a compromise amongst a total package including other fueling technologies and increasing fuel efficency and better batteries for hybrids, then I am less reluctant to say its a terrible idea.
Offer to compromise? He found out from his pollsters that this issue is polling well so he decided to push it.

He bashed the idea this morning, and he supports it by evening, so what changed between those times? Obama does not have any true convictions, he will say and do anything to win.

Obama supporters have started coming up with reasons why they now support offshore drilling after they have bashed this idea for the last couple of months.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:25 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,762,054 times
"If, in order to get that passed, we have to compromise in terms of a careful, well thought-out drilling strategy that was carefully circumscribed to avoid significant environmental damage — I don't want to be so rigid that we can't get something done."

Pretty cut and dry. If this is what it will take to get the ball rolling it can be considered as long as there is provisions in place.

He did not say "oh okay nevermind we should drill for oil!!!!"...he said "well maybe, but we need to explore options x y and z while doing so".

Old 08-01-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
Mods are allowed to have an opinion? You got yours and they got their own.

You sure don't post against the mod here who is for Obama now do you?

I agree he is one big fat liar.

Not to long ago he was all over McCain saying McCains idea of off shore drilling will take 10 years to see any price effect, he was DEAD WRONG, all it took was McCain and the republicans pushing oil drilling and the price is dropping like a rock.

Obama has been wrong on every major important issue, dont you all notice he follows everything McCain says and does.

Lets see if he has the GUTS to admit he was wrong again.

I hope the lib media gets this right this time and not coverup his HUGE mistake !

I have been saying he cannot make a good decision to save his butt. Even with 300 little helpers traveling with him he still got this wrong.

My understanding is that there are two mods for this forum, *** and Markablue, and that they have differing views and both review reported comments. Can you provide a source for your statement regarding moderation of this forum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections