Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2008, 10:43 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Obama's definition of Community Organizer, from one of his books:
And he ended getting discouraged and quitting when the "change" he desired didn't happen like he planned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 10:44 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniemom View Post
People, Palin wasn't insulting community organizers - she was just saying that it dosn't qualify them to be presidents.
Neither does being a POW, but that seems to be thrown around in every speech about Mccain as if it matters.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:44 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
What historic ticket?? The democrats had a woman VP candidate 20 years ago. How is it Oprah's fault it took you guys this long to catch up with the rest of the world?
First female VP nominee for the GOP. Historic.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:49 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,899,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
First female VP nominee for the GOP. Historic.

LOL since when is being second to do something historic? Have we really lowered our standards that much?

I thought America was all about being #1?

The Dems managed to have a viable female PoUS and VP candidates before the Repubs and you are proud of this?

Old 09-05-2008, 10:52 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Obama's definition of Community Organizer, from one of his books:

In theory, community organizing provides a way to merge various strategies for neighborhood empowerment. Organizing begins with the premise that (1) the problems facing inner-city communities do not result from a lack of effective solutions, but from a lack of power to implement these solutions; (2) that the only way for communities to build long-term power is by organizing people and money around a common vision; and (3) that a viable organization can only be achieved if a broadly based indigenous leadership — and not one or two charismatic leaders — can knit together the diverse interests of their local institutions.

This means bringing together churches, block clubs, parent groups and any other institutions in a given community to pay dues, hire organizers, conduct research, develop leadership, hold rallies and education cam*paigns, and begin drawing up plans on a whole range of issues — jobs, education, crime, etc. Once such a vehicle is formed, it holds the power to make politicians, agencies and corporations more responsive to commu*nity needs. Equally important, it enables people to break their crippling isolation from each other, to reshape their mutual values and expectations and rediscover the possibilities of acting collaboratively — the prerequi*sites of any successful self-help initiative.

So rebuilding a community after a disaster (either man-made or weather-related) would fit into "Community Organization". Hope that helps.
Or, in other words, a community organizer is a shakedown artist. Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and, now, Obama are some of the more famous of the breed.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:59 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I had always hoped that a woman running for one of the highest posts in our government would be smarter than me. This is not the case with Palin. Unlike her, I've at least seen the world and lived abroad. Hey, I'm involved with the PTA and am "just an every day soccer/hockey mom". So perhaps I should run for office too?
Go ahead. Nobody said it takes a genius to run for public office although to hear the Dems all their candidates are geniuses: Carter, Clinton, Gore, Kerry and now Obama.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:00 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
You really have no idea what they do. There are my area that community organizer work in. And saying "that is the bottom line" does not change facts. Just goggle community organizer/organizations and you will get a broad range of area they deal with.
I would be very interested in knowing more about your job description. And I am not saying that the work is worthless or unimportant. But it is for political reasons and outcomes, including grant money from NGOs as well as GOs.

I don't need to google it. I know what it means.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:02 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
Well....me to Oprah...adios.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:06 AM

1,316 posts, read 2,465,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
All women are not running. A right wing, anti-intellectual, career local politician is. No thanks, not the candidate for me.
Yeah and there will be ignorant people out there who will vote for the McCain/Palin ticket just because she is a women despite she is a "nobody" that offers nothing but an attitude. Anyone who looks down on someone for being a community organizer is on the wrong side of the fence in my books. This community organizer has intelligence with a law degree. More than I can say for Ms. Palin who attended six colleges in five years to get her degree. Sounds like she is someone who cannot make her mind to me.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:17 AM

658 posts, read 1,785,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
All the Feminist rhetoric goes out the door when the far left of the Feminist movement is actually faced w/ someone who has "done it all." You are not a REAL Feminist unless you have followed a prescribed path to success. The radical Feminists (often referred to as FemiNazis) do NOT represent all women, especially all successful women. However, their voices are always the LOUDEST and the MOST SHRILL.

Any woman who does not espouse the Feminist Manifesto as outlined by that far left group has to be CRUSHED b/c she did not follow the RULES. You have to attend an Ivy League School . . . you can only have ONE CHILD . . . you have to come up "The Hard Way" . . . you cannot be ATTRACTIVE . . . Preferably, you are an ATTORNEY . . . you have to have worked for the DEMOCRAT PARTY or for some non-profit feel good agency or Government Entitlement Program - especially one that works with INNER CITY KIDS or SINGLE MOMMAS w/ MULTIPLE BABY DADDIES . . . etc. etc. etc. <YAWN> So predictable.

You can't have a pregnant 17 y/o daughter who is going to keep her baby, as that screams out ANTI-ABORTION . . . you can't have more than one child b/c that says you were not REALLY A CAREER MINDED WOMAN . . . (wh/ is so weird b/c the left wingers are the ones who have pushed DAY CARE for WORKING MOMMIES and WORKPLACE BENNIES for WORKING MOMMIES - so that is a clear contradiction) Yet, the criticism Palin is getting is a double edged sword . . . "You must be a bad mommy cause your daughter got pregnant" (read: why didn't she get an abortion?) and "you go to an office instead of being a SAHM." Geez. You can't win w/ this group!!!!!

Yet . . . there stands Nancy Pelosi . . . w/ house full o' kids and a hubby w/ Big Bucks . . . and I don't recall ever having heard a word about her education, babysitting arrangements while raising kids and working, not "paying her dues," etc. ????

All seems really contradictory to me.

What kind of Feminists would be willing to have their reproductive rights taken away by males? Palin is extremely anti-choice and has specifically opposed abortion even in cases of rape and incest. Do you honestly that all women will be pleased to hear this coming from a woman? I think not.

Furthermore the criticisms of Palin on her family and parenting skills are valid. Palin choose to the candidate for V.P. She knew exactly that everything from her education, background and even the clothing she wears will be scrutinized the minute she puts herself into the political spectrum.

As for Bristol, no one is saying that she should have an abortion. What people are saying is that it's great the Bristol has a supportive family who will help her raise her child. Unfortunately not everyone has the opportunities that she does. Palin is also a strong advocate of abstinence-only education; which discourage the use of contraception. Clearly this is a family as we can see that Bristol was anything but abstinent.

It's complete bull for anyone to say that we cannot critize her family; she is one who brought them into the spotlight. If she doesn't want that, she can gracefully exit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections