Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2008, 10:38 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Don't forget that lovely huge overpriced house obtained out of greed (gotta keep up with those Joneses!) and way over budget, new car and new boat! And the toys for dad! Multiple TVs, entertainment center(s), new sitdown lawnmower, jacuzzi, marble countertops and stainless steel appliances for mom, etc. etc. etc. And the entertainment expenses, that is a MUST, including the all important alcohol and cigarette budget! Uh oh, now I am expected to pay for my own health insurance???
Great points here. And to those who think this is an exception rather than the rule, just look at the "credit crunch" and "mortgage crisis."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 10:39 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,984,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Thanks for all of this information, but again, you didnt answer the original question.. WHY SHOULD I CARE? Are you proposing that we should get national health care because France has it? That makes about as much sense as me wanting to buy an inground pool because the neighbor has one..

Nobody is asking you to care.

It will be decided at the ballot box. Have you seen the predictions on how your fellow right wingers will be doing come November??

Feel free to think whatever you like.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:40 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,979,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
Nobody said life was easy.
That is such a cop out. If we can do better, then we should. We're not a third world nation where we just let people die on the streets, and say "sorry, you're SOL!" But if you all had your way, that's exactly what the US would be.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:42 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,844,217 times
I have a good friend that is a Canadian and UK citizen. He chooses to live here, and pay to get treated by doctors here. He is back in Canada for a week almost every month, and prefers our services. He has asthma and uses inhalers. He prefers to pay for them here instead of getting them free up there...wonder why. That is quite enough proof for me. If Canada and the UK were so great, he would live there. The funn thing is he is far left as it gets and we argue politics all the time. Ironically, he prefers so many perks America offers, yet rails against them in debate.

A side note about the inhalers; The enviros banned traditional inhalers because of a minute amount of CFC present. A friends father uses them, he is on medicare. The price jumped from $24 to $180 because of the enviro regulations. So now taxpayers are spending an additional $156 for every inhaler supported by medicare. Thanks for that!

Old 09-09-2008, 10:44 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLDanford View Post
NIce tone.
You missed the "still looking" part. It's not that easy. And what about the people - like my husband - who make their living as a freelance consultant? What about the kids just out of college just trying to pay their bills but they can't afford healthcare? What about the artists and actors and musicians who wait tables or temp while they pursue what they love but their "survival jobs" don't provide healthcare? People can't afford it when it costs that much money.
It's only the ignorant, selfish @******s that give the "TS" response. I bet you wouldn't feel that way if it was you. Or your child. or YOUR friend with Multiple sclerosis. IT's not right.
Nope.. the "still looking" is the important part of your statement. You did not sit back and accept failure, you continue to look despite being told no. When we stop forcing people to proceed forward, then we do end up like other countries, (like France).. Sorry but I think making people work for things is what makes this country so great. You can get what you want, if you want it, by working as hard or as smart as you can.

I'm also a freelance consultant, its called take your paycheck and buy insurance, if he's not successful at it enough to pay the bills, then I suggest he finds another employment source.

College children? Um, they are supposed to get ENTRY level jobs, and then work their way up.. I'd LOVE to persue a job that I "want", but sorry, its called having responsibilities to first myself, and my family to make sure we are being taken care of. Now I hear that we should have national health insurance so people can obtain employment doing what they love, like art.. and acting.. ahh, how sweet... When I grew up people did what they loved because they loved it, they lived without things like... pay, benefits, in exchange for the satisfaction they receive doing their job. National health insurance just so people can persue their "love" job? Please, I'm supposed to work my butt off (I work 15 hours a day) so that these people can do what they "love".. No thank you..

Old 09-09-2008, 10:45 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,844,217 times
Quote:
That is such a cop out. If we can do better, then we should. We're not a third world nation where we just let people die on the streets, and say "sorry, you're SOL!" But if you all had your way, that's exactly what the US would be.
Emergency rooms do not turn any away. There is a tremendous amount of "free" coverage here for the destitute. The left just wants even more.
I could probably rationalize some form of catastrophic only coverage for the country, but not general healthcare.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:47 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Nobody is asking you to care.

It will be decided at the ballot box. Have you seen the predictions on how your fellow right wingers will be doing come November??

Feel free to think whatever you like.
Yes, I've seen all of the polls showing McCain is 5 points ahead of Obama, but Obama will probably win because of the electorial vote. That doesnt mean that its right. have you seen how many people thought we should invade Iraq? Now 5 years later everyone is boo hoo hooing about that choice..

Old 09-09-2008, 10:48 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,849,255 times
Never the Govt's job to do anything for people with health cover. Unfortunately there are millions without health cover. McCains plan will basically change nothing. Obama will make sure that every citizen can get health cover. Many complain about their tax money paying for other people's health but hardly any one complaining about their tax dollars propping up Freddie Mac and Fannie May and any other bank that gets into trouble.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:48 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,643,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
Great points here. And to those who think this is an exception rather than the rule, just look at the "credit crunch" and "mortgage crisis."

Agreed. When I see a brand new gas guzzler drive up to the office, the person who gets out is covered in gold, but his records say he is on medicaid, I get a little incensed.... To top it off, he begins bragging about his new all around sound stereo set he just bought. Just one little tidbit of the entitlement mentality I get to witness on a daily basis....this person represents millions out there misappropriating government funds, exhibiting vast foolishness without any idea how to set a budget for him and his family. It is a disgusting debacle and don't think this is not happening all across this country on a very grand scale. Your tax dollars at work....

Old 09-09-2008, 10:49 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,897 times
Quote:
Yes, we can do better. Many of us already have by realizing that we are responsible for ourselves.

That's why I chose to go to college, get 2 degrees, and work my ass off to enhance my career. I wasn't born "gifted" or "special." I'm not from a rich family. Nobody handed me anything. I had to get excellent grades in college to keep scholarships, otherwise I couldn't have afforded to go. I earned what I have today and I'm damned proud of it.

I don't feel sorry for anyone who refuses to "do the work."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections