Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2008, 02:43 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
Hopefully nothing. It's not the government's job to provide you health insurance.
What people like you don't seem to realize is that the uninsured don't access preventative health care, and end up clogging up the ER's and end up not paying, which means the hospitals pass that cost along to the the rest of us with higher prices, which are paid by our insurance companies, who pass the extra cost on to us, the insured. We are paying for it no matter how you slice it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 02:44 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,979,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
It has much to do with risk/reward.

Often people go into the arts for the fame or money, although it is a huge risk, but conversely it is also a huge reward. If you are willing to take the risk then you are welcome to the reward.

For many people not willing to take the risk, they will never get the reward.

Both parties are aware of these situations going in, and both parties have to be ready to deal with the consequences of those decisions.

It may seem 'evil' or unfair, but that is the way the world works.
I hardly know anyone who goes into the arts expecting to "make it big." They just want to use the gift they're given and to pursue their passion in life. No risk/reward from me or any of the people I know. THey just want to be able to make a living.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:44 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,849,699 times
I know what each candidate will do. they will ruin health care if they get involved.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Wow!

"Dont talk to me if you disagree with me!"
Do not put words in my mouth. All I'm saying is that we're going around in circles and accomplishing nothing.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:46 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,849,699 times
the "arts" isn't a job. it's a hobby. why do you think people in the "arts" are all super liberal? they want free services provided to them and not have to work for anything. it's not hard to understand. they want something for nothing, because they choose not to work for a living. anyone actually good at the "arts" can provide for themselves.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
What people like you don't seem to realize is that the uninsured don't access preventative health care, and end up clogging up the ER's and end up not paying, which means the hospitals pass that cost along to the the rest of us with higher prices, which are paid by our insurance companies, who pass the extra cost on to us, the insured. We are paying for it no matter how you slice it.
Excellent point.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:47 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,819,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLDanford View Post
No, that's not true but thanks for playing. There is a musicians union. I'm not intimately familiar with their qualifications for receiving healthcare benefits, but if it's anything like the actor's unions, you have to have either a relatively high amount of "weeks" doing acting jobs OR have made a certain amount of money doing it. You can't just say "I'm a musician!" or "I'm an actor" and they accept you into the insurance program.
So in other words your friend is just in the stage of "playing at being a musician". That makes it even more important to have another job to pay expenses like health insurance.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:48 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
It is not the Governments job to provide me with health insurance

Old 09-09-2008, 02:48 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,976,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLDanford View Post
I hardly know anyone who goes into the arts expecting to "make it big." They just want to use the gift they're given and to pursue their passion in life. No risk/reward from me or any of the people I know. THey just want to be able to make a living.
It doesn't matter if the intention is there, basic economics still dictate the risk/reward results. There is a huge pool of people in the arts with very few jobs that pay either REALLY well, or decent...REALLY well meaning movie stars and such, decent meaning people who do more basic things like professional photographers.

By going into one of the arts, that is the economic situation that one must be ready to deal with because there are tons of people with a "gift" or that think they have a gift...competition is a good thing.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
the "arts" isn't a job. it's a hobby. why do you think people in the "arts" are all super liberal? they want free services provided to them and not have to work for anything. it's not hard to understand. they want something for nothing, because they choose not to work for a living. anyone actually good at the "arts" can provide for themselves.
That's not true. It most certainly IS a job for MANY people. (It can be a hobby as well, of course, for the non-professionals) For many people they also have to have a 2nd job because it doesn't pay much.
Being "Good at the arts" does not correlate to making a lot of money unless you're part of the 1% that hits the jackpot and becomes a celebrity. Many really gifted artists struggle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections