Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2008, 10:49 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times

Advertisements

When we stop forcing people to proceed forward, then we do end up like other countries, (like France)..

Oh boy that would be really terrible! We could end up like France!

You need to get around more. France DOES have a higher standard of living than we do!!

As do all 11 countries ahead of us on the list that have universal healthcare.

Human Development Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by padcrasher; 09-09-2008 at 11:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 10:50 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,979,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
College children? Um, they are supposed to get ENTRY level jobs, and then work their way up.. ..
I've deleted everything above and below this part of your post because it's irrelevant.
Okay. So college kids get entry level jobs - exactly my point. SO what are they supposed to do in the meantime while they work their way up to a better job? Go into bankruptcy when their appendix suddenly bursts?

Old 09-09-2008, 10:53 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLDanford View Post
I've deleted everything above and below this part of your post because it's irrelevant.
Okay. So college kids get entry level jobs - exactly my point. SO what are they supposed to do in the meantime while they work their way up to a better job? Go into bankruptcy when their appendix suddenly bursts?
They should look into reduced-rate healthcare through their universities. If that's too expensive, they can do what I did: go without.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:54 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Makes about as much sense as if I wreck my car and total it.. What, no government there to replace my car?

Makes about as much sense as if my house burns down.. What, no government there to replace my home?

Wait, how about if my furnace breaks? The government wont be there to replace it? My children are supposed to go through winter without heat?

YES, thats what happens, its called life.. get over it..

ps, college kids dont go bankrupt over a burst appendix, they have poor credit for several years because of an outstanding medical bill.. In all of this talk, I have NEVER heard of ANYONE losing their homes or assets because they got sick.. they get poor credit, possibly file for bankruptcy if they care enough, but show me examples of people who had their homes foreclosed upon by hospitals for bills outstanding..

Old 09-09-2008, 10:54 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Boy you need to get around more. France DOES have a higher standard of living than we do!!

As do all 11 countries that have universal healtcare.

Human Development Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Then why do people from all over the world keep moving here?

Old 09-09-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Emergency rooms do not turn any away. There is a tremendous amount of "free" coverage here for the destitute. The left just wants even more.
I could probably rationalize some form of catastrophic only coverage for the country, but not general healthcare.
I have a family friend who is an musician and couldn't afford insurance. His appendix burst. He is now $100,000 in debt. SURE, they won't turn you away, they'll just dig a financial hole and throw you in it.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
They should look into reduced-rate healthcare through their universities. If that's too expensive, they can do what I did: go without.
Going without is a not a viable option!!! Anybody can get hit by a car or have a sudden medical emergency.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:58 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
Then why do people from all over the world keep moving here?
The bottom line is money as it always is. Right wingers will not hold companies who hire 2nd and 3rd World immigrants liable for their crimes. (Abetted by those on the left do not respect the rule of law out of their sympathy for them.)

Also, people from Western Europe very rarely move here. Live is harder.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:00 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
I have a family friend who is an musician and couldn't afford insurance. His appendix burst. He is now $100,000 in debt. SURE, they won't turn you away, they'll just dig a financial hole and throw you in it.
So your friend CHOSE a field of employment that neither offered insurance, or paid enough to allow him to buy his own, and he continued to play that violin.... (or whatever instrument it was).

That sounds like a PERSONAL choice that he chose to make, why should I PAY FOR IT?

P.s. how much money have you given your friend to help pay his bill? I bet $0... So you wont help pay for it, but you expect me to.. classic..

Old 09-09-2008, 11:03 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,847,521 times
Many Americans say how bad a UHC is. Yet the countries with a UHC have better all round health for All their citizens. The birth mortility is much higher in America than the UK. Obama will make sure that the health of the nation is no longer a lottery that is decided by wealth. McCain will just pander to the Insurance companies and make no difference for the normal American Citizen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections