Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 03:55 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,279,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Maybe a valid point...Try to imagine it: a brilliant, articulate, public-serving scholar who came from nowhere and nobody to the steps of the 2nd most powerful position on Earth....and you've got Sarah Palin.
Palin "brilliant"???? LMAO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 03:57 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,364,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAisGreat View Post
There is definately truth to this. Believe me, I'm the last person to support these idiots that play the race, sex, etc. card every chance they get. But I have heard it with my own ears. I know several people in Michigan & Ohio that won't vote for him because he's black. These are true blue, union rat democrats...And the only reason they can give is that Obama is black.

I really don't care for Obama, because of his politics, but the worst thing for this country would be another 4yrs of Bush (McCain), and it would be such a shame to end up with a disaster like McCain/Palin because people didn't want to vote for a black guy. Although his wife doesn't seem to help much with her angry upper middle-class/rich black woman syndrome problems.
I've heard it too, and I'm in liberal L.A.! But I have a suspicion that on top of the people who shamelessly proclaim it, there are others who never would, and who may not even admit it to themselves. These are the people that will decide this election. The ironic thing in my view is that it's Obama who has their interests in mind. He will lower their taxes, bring their sons and daughters home from Iraq, and limit the influence lobbyists have over our lawmakers, so that the average guy gets a better shake in this country.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:03 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,312,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
I've heard it too, and I'm in liberal L.A.! But I have a suspicion that on top of the people who shamelessly proclaim it, there are others who never would, and who may not even admit it to themselves. These are the people that will decide this election.
Yes you are right. There are many who feel the same way and will never admit it to anyone, will only admit it with their vote.

And yes sadly they are going to decide the election...Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Florida...

Old 09-13-2008, 09:40 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,638,176 times
Um, I thought Obama was white? I just thought he had a black father. Am I wrong on this?

Old 09-14-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Um, I thought Obama was white? I just thought he had a black father. Am I wrong on this?
I'm missing the point of your subtle sarcasm, if that's in fact what it is. Obama's father was black as midnight and his mother white as the driven snow, and in this country as you know, it only takes a few drops of black blood for you to be considered black. Right?

Old 09-14-2008, 01:06 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
If Obama were white, it'd be Hillary Clinton vs. John McCain.

There's really not much remarkable about Obama, other than the fact that he can deliver a good speech and is not white.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:15 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,424,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
I think that's completely backwards. In fact, I think more white middle class people are inclined to jump on his bandwagen because he's black. In that sort of way to prove once and for all that they have no racial tendancies.

But he's not going to win by a landslide, black or white. Probably will not win at all because more and more people are starting to realize that in the end he really is just another politician.
As everyone knows, his mother is "white" from Kansas...just 2 cents worth....but see your point...

Old 09-14-2008, 01:18 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
If Obama Were White...

I think he would win by a landslide. I think more of us are turned off by his skin color than are aware of it.

Try to imagine it: a brilliant, articulate, public-serving scholar who came from nowhere and nobody to the steps of the most powerful position on Earth?

I know many of you will be unmoved by this hypothetical, and there are many others who will say, "He has my support now as he would then." But to those of you who are still on the fence, who maybe are leaning towards him but for some sense of apprehension, what about it? Am I off, or do you concede it may make a difference?
Sorry, but you are wrong. It is Obama's POLITICAL views that I have a problem with, not his skin color. I'd vote for Condi Rice in a heartbeat.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
I think that's completely backwards. In fact, I think more white middle class people are inclined to jump on his bandwagen because he's black. In that sort of way to prove once and for all that they have no racial tendancies.

But he's not going to win by a landslide, black or white. Probably will not win at all because more and more people are starting to realize that in the end he really is just another politician.
Whites that have no racist tendencies, who have evolved to that point, know many black people that they don't like simply because they are not their kind of people, regardless of any racial considerations. There may be some who will vote for Obama to prove once and for all that they have no racism in them, but I would remind you that once we enter a voting booth and pull the curtain we are alone with ourselves, and so who would know how we end up voting, one way or another?

Old 09-14-2008, 01:27 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
If Obama were white, it'd be Hillary Clinton vs. John McCain.

There's really not much remarkable about Obama, other than the fact that he can deliver a good speech and is not white.
You hit the nail on the head! And I think there are more people voting for him simply because he is black than not voting for him simply because he is black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections